It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:04

The Wave

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

The Wave

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jan 2018, 17:36

An extremely violent boat eating wave deserves a lively frame; this one in English brown ash, wax polished. “The Wave” by Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849) from a series of woodblock prints ‘The Thirty Six Views of Mt. Fuji’ first produced between 1825-32.

IMG_0975.jpg
(117.48 KiB)

At the time of printing in the early part of the 19th century, ‘The Wave’ could be bought by anyone for the price of a bowl of noodles. A mint copy from the first print run would now be worth millions! The double mount was professionally cut and non- reflective ‘clarity’ glass was used to frame it.

IMG_0976.jpg
(146.17 KiB)

The rear has been sealed against the ingress of beasties by using some rather expensive, professional brown gummed paper tape, also from Japan which seemed a bit pricey but is really very, very good for this sort of application.

IMG_0978.jpg
(104.43 KiB)

SWIMBO has claimed this and it's now in pole position on the wall with a Snow Leopard and a teddy bear from the University of Edinburgh for company - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: The Wave

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jan 2018, 18:13

Beautiful!

My sisters are needleworkers and quilters. One of their early works was a quilt of The Wave.

Is it also know as Tsunami?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 30 Jan 2018, 18:17

Very nice Rob.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jan 2018, 18:39

Malc2098 wrote:Beautiful!

My sisters are needleworkers and quilters. One of their early works was a quilt of The Wave.

Is it also know as Tsunami?

It's actually a wave off the beach at Kanagowa (supposedly). We saw the Hokusai exhibition at the BM last summer which was superb btw. As well as an original print of 'The Wave' there were many others from his career, all of which were stunning including several from the series of 'Thirty Six Views of Mt.Fuji'. Through some of his earlier prints, you could see the evolution of his wave technique which finally culminated in this print which is the one everyone knows about - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 30 Jan 2018, 22:14

Nice picture.
From past experience the only way to stop nasties (in our area it’s tiny thrips - thunderbugs) is to seal the front as well as the backs.
To do this I use narrow strips of double sided tape between the glass and frames. Your tape will do the job at the back as long as it doesn’t dry out.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jan 2018, 23:25

Rod wrote: Your tape will do the job at the back as long as it doesn’t dry out.

Rod

Hopefully this stuff from Japan won't. It's very thick and has a waxy sort of surface so it shouldn't dry out...cost over £4 a roll :o - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 Feb 2018, 22:41

Just spotted this today, well sealed at the back but one frame I hadn’t sealed at the front. The frame seems to be a very tight fit to the glass but it didn’t stop the little blighters.

The joys of living near farm land. Tiny Thrips, commonly known as Thunderbugs.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Feb 2018, 11:57

You can't stop Thrips getting behind glass, they're behind every glass surface in my house, pictures, TV's etc. :evil:

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 16 Feb 2018, 14:17

Narrow double sided tape between the glass and frame works. A bit fiddly though. Black or dark frames seem to attract bigger numbers of them.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP