It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:17

Coffee Table

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Coffee Table

Postby TheTiddles » 25 Aug 2014, 20:45

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Name: Aidan

Re: Coffee Table

Postby Mike G » 25 Aug 2014, 20:56

That looks fantastic! Mind you, I think it would have looked even better as a clock, but never mind that.

How about coopering the elm? Depending on your boards, there might be a lot less wastage that way.
Last edited by Mike G on 25 Aug 2014, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 25 Aug 2014, 21:35

Looks like a good talking point, I will be watching with interest. :ugeek:
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby fred » 26 Aug 2014, 11:01

Great idea. The shape of the base is important, and you've come up with something that compliments the wheel, by matching the curves and keeping the vintage industrial look. It would be great if the top could turn, making it a large "Lazy Susan" table.

For clear pads for the glass to sit on, you could try clear silicone, either using it as a glue as well, or let the silicone dry before putting the glass on so it acts as just as pad.

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Aug 2014, 11:08

Oh Er missus. Turning that is going to be fun. Hope you have a video ready
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 26 Aug 2014, 14:11

Nice bit of drawing too :)

I like the rotating suggestion. Could be possible with a fabricated steel base and make a wood cover to hide it.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2014, 14:32

Cheaper wood with veneer?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2014, 14:39

Robert wrote:Nice bit of drawing too :)

I like the rotating suggestion. Could be possible with a fabricated steel base and make a wood cover to hide it.

I'd wondered about the possibility of decorative steel balls in a wooden cage visible through the glass top.
The upper bearing track could be a circular polished vee so that the balls only touch on two line contact rings and avoid the perspex wearing and going opaque over time.
A good fusion between the day job and hobby for Aidan maybe?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby fred » 26 Aug 2014, 19:59

It would be easier to have a length of steel hollow round (pipe), the same diameter as the inside diameter of the hole in the centre of the wheel, as a vertical axis, welded or bolted to the wheel. This would rotate in two collars: one at the top and one at the bottom. Both collars screwed to a the wooden base with some grease as a lube.

I'll do a drawing if it helps to explain better.

fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TheTiddles » 26 Aug 2014, 23:22

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Aug 2014, 08:07

TheTiddles wrote:Image

Any way I look at it, the wastage will be huge, as will the lathe required to turn it.

I'm thinking the route on this will be:
1) Order the glass
2) Make and fit the bosses to support the glass (got the elm for that)
3) If all looks ok at that point, make a prototype base from pine

I'm not feeling confident enough to start with £100+ of elm cut into small pieces

This may take a while...

The KISS option is the way to do this one IMO as this is going to be a bu§§er of base to build, no matter which way you slices it. Building up the base in layers like this is the easiest way to do it and as for the rotating top…when was the last time you ever saw a spinning coffee table top?

Turning it is going to be fun as well. Methinks that someone with a lathe built like the…

...Tirpitz :lol: is going to be required. Where's PaulM when you need him? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Aug 2014, 08:27

What a great project although I do agree with Mike that it would have been even whackier as a clock!

My main concern would be the weight of the top and the relatively small area in the middle on which to fix/join the base. Regardless of the actual construction of the base (cast concrete?) I would be concerned of tipping or breaking off of the top. Especially if there are young children about or Fido there (lovely dog, BTW) takes it into himself to put paws on !

So possibly a metal rod bolted to the top with a flange and fixed at the bottom with some sort of spider (is that the right word?) as per the mauve arrows

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Aug 2014, 08:32

Another thought. If you made the rough base from many many thinner polygons then you could probably carve/sand it to shape thus obviating the need for the Tirpitz lathe.

Lateral though...wonder how easy it would be (assuming a limited slip differential) to bolt something like this to the drive wheel on a car? Jack the car up, bolt it on, SWMBO with her foot on the throttle....
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Aug 2014, 09:02

Some further thinkings. If it is turned, there'll need to be a two pieces across the bottom in the form of a 'X' for either the lathe tail (or headstock) centre - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fred » 27 Aug 2014, 09:19

TheTiddles wrote:There are certainly many ways of making a rotating table, but the question not being answered is... Why? I can't think of the last time I found the lack of rotation of a coffee table to be a problem!

The choice of construction is ongoing, the additional factor that I hadn't thought of a way or articulating till tonight is that they all need to be weighed against the probability of success, a method of construction that is highly efficient but is unlikely to be perfect is a loser, coopering is one such idea like that I think, could I make a barrel right first time? Probably not, so this idea scores low ultimately as I'm going to have to look at this thing every day

Aidan

Why? Because it's a wheel that used to turn, and one of the first things that's going to pop into someone's head when seeing the table for the first time is "does it turn?". Of course it doesn't have to, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but just think of the added bonus and feature rotation would give.

I've worked on industrial looking tables before, using old industrial machine parts and newly fabricated parts, and have used the following websites for inspiration and problem solving:
http://www.retro.net/
http://www.antiquaireonline.com/?cat=5
http://www.clevelandart.com/
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/table ... -f_350364/
http://www.quirkyinteriors.co.uk/223163 ... _table.cfm

Also, doing a google image search for "industrial table round" throws up some interesting stuff.

fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Aug 2014, 09:48

fred wrote:Why? Because it's a wheel that used to turn, and one of the first things that's going to pop into someone's head when seeing the table for the first time is "does it turn?". Of course it doesn't have to, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but just think of the added bonus and feature rotation would give.

Also, doing a google image search for "industrial table round" throws up some interesting stuff.

fred

It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned it :D not to mention the loss of said brew as it got spilt all over the polished glass surface.
It used to be called 'fitness for purpose' when I were a lad :D
Had a look at the 'industrial table round' pics as well Fred and I'd lay a round pound to a pinch of somat nasty that not many of them spin. One appears to go up and down and may turn, but 'tis difficult to tell from the pics - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fred » 27 Aug 2014, 09:58

Woodbloke wrote:It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned it :D not to mention the loss of said brew as it got spilt all over the polished glass surface.

Pmsl. Fair enough!

fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Aug 2014, 10:24

fred wrote:Pmsl. Fair enough!

fred

:lol: :lol: …if you have a quick squint at this page from 'Quirky Interiors' there's another table wot uses almost exactly the same wheel as Aidan's but it's now on the floor - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Aug 2014, 11:53

Woodbloke wrote:
fred wrote:Why? Because it's a wheel that used to turn, and one of the first things that's going to pop into someone's head when seeing the table for the first time is "does it turn?". Of course it doesn't have to, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but just think of the added bonus and feature rotation would give.

fred

It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned it :D not to mention the loss of said brew as it got spilt all over the polished glass surface.
Had a look at the 'industrial table round' pics as well Fred and I'd lay a round pound to a pinch of somat nasty that not many of them spin. One appears to go up and down and may turn, but 'tis difficult to tell from the pics - Rob

And there's all the more reason for it to spin! Stop living in the past Grandad! Spinning coffee tables are the future! :eusa-whistle:

;)

Cheers
Mark

PS And if you were going to the trouble for it to spin, then it would be little extra trouble to make it lockable so you didn't have those issues you moan on about like a pensio…erm… :P But still have the ability to wow folks when you want to, or when you get too old and lazy to want to stand up for another piece of cake… :D
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 27 Aug 2014, 12:03

And think of the extra interest when those swinger parties are being held. Just spin the wheel and where it stops, take the keys .... :o
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TheTiddles » 27 Aug 2014, 23:48

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Aug 2014, 23:55

Oooh, very industrial/steampunk, I like that. My Mrs who I thought wouldn't, absolutely LOVES it!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby berncarpenter » 28 Aug 2014, 00:18

Isambard Kingdom Brunel ish truss table love it. 8-)

Cheers Bern :D
berncarpenter
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Aug 2014, 06:47

TheTiddles wrote:..... However, have a look at this... http://brandnerdesign.com/collections/furniture/dining-table/truss-table.html it's gorgeous and the elm dining table was heading this way after months of not finding the right castings, I'd even lined up the laser cutters to do it.

I like it a lot. But what made me smile was under their Contact Us tab was another one labelled 'Make a Payment'. Nothing like a presumptive close !!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Aug 2014, 07:13

Isn't just a tad over engineered?

Nice though
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine