It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:24

Dining Table.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Dining Table.

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2018, 17:07

G'day men! 8-)

I'm starting this thread during the early stages of design as I feel confident this project will become a reality. :P

Firstly, a huge thanks to a fellow member and pro woodworker who recommended me to his client. This was through my thread 'Driving from Dorset to Southern Spain' (which is all gong to plan very well!) and Jonathan who lives in Spain asked me if I was interested in designing/making a dining table for his client because he's far too busy doing other work for the same client. Naturally always interested, so things have progressed a bit. With several designs now prepared, Jonathan has kindly (with his client's permission) handed the contract over to me so I am now direct to the client.

Since chatting with Jonathan, I've learnt he lives and breathes the craft of woodwork. Although he's now well established in Spain with his work and lives with his wife & children, much of his professional life was here in the UK, where he predominantly worked for clients in Chelsea and Knightsbridge, London. I've worn that tee-shirt too, so I know the mental & physical demands that come with it. Difference is, I ended up back here in Dorset, where Jonathan ended up in Southern Spain. :lol: :eusa-doh:

Right then, back on the job...

The brief is a circular dining table (maybe extension), paint & natural wood, hints of classical, modern and an air of elegance. But like all projects in the early design stages, what the creator sees in the mind's eye might not be to the owner's taste in design. So to get things started, I prepared a few designs ranging from reasonably cool to a bit quirky with the hope of some positive feedback.

Out of the following 8 designs, the client is favouring design 01.
01-03 are non-extension whereas the remainder are extension tables.

Plan view of designs 1-3

After sending out the above first portfolio of possible designs and learning 01 was favoured, I started to design more focusing around design 01. I then experienced a eureka moment (or I hope so) and went straight into design #12. This has now been sent to the client and now awaiting response. Fingers crossed.

This table includes an extending circular walnut top with a subtle ebony string inlay representing a calm ambience/sea, which flows on a continuous wave when the table is extended or closed. The circular painted apron conceals the extension leaves. Below that is the painted octagonal framed column with opaque glass panels which will show a beautiful feature of light reflection through all facets from one side to the other. Whatever the light is doing in the room will reflect through the table's column. This is then sat on a circular walnut profiled base with subtle block/pad/bun feet.

Will update as soon as.

I could be miles away from the target with #12 - I shall have to wait and see.

I'm quite excited.

8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Dining Table.

Postby Mike G » 09 Mar 2018, 17:22

There's more than a hint of Art Deco in one or two of those. I really, really hope they don't go for 4 or 6, but otherwise I reckon they could all be fabulous.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 19:19

Some of those also scream 'Linley' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2018, 20:06

Mike G wrote:There's more than a hint of Art Deco in one or two of those. I really, really hope they don't go for 4 or 6, but otherwise I reckon they could all be fabulous.

Thanks Mike. I really hope they go for the recent one, but I'm prepared for some changes. I have a few more designs on the table too - forgiving the pun. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2018, 20:17

Woodbloke wrote:Some of those also scream 'Linley' - Rob

Thanks Rob. Do you mean scream 'Pinchefsky'. :D

That reminds me of back in 1997 when I had to collect one of my pieces from Harrods after having an argument with the Assistant to the Director and while I was in London, I used one of the glossy brochures to browse Bond Street shops randomly to try and make a sale. Many of the shops were appointment only (probably still are) and I tried walking into this particular shop but couldn't get in. I noticed a lady inside so I knocked on the glass with the brochure pressed against it and she approached me, opened the door and asked if I was representing David Linley. :shock:

I naturally laughed and said no, I'm representing myself. Didn't do me much good, she said no thank you. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 10 Mar 2018, 08:24

I hope they go for an extended option. Would love to see those wavy lines.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerM » 10 Mar 2018, 11:12

No 12 would be my choice, but my arms are too short and my pockets too deep :lol: I'l grab a beer and draw up my chair 'cos I feel a classic thread developing here!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Phil » 10 Mar 2018, 16:47

RogerM wrote:No 12 would be my choice, but my arms are too short and my pockets too deep :lol: I'l grab a beer and draw up my chair 'cos I feel a classic thread developing here!

Yip, agree.
Maybe some wine from Roger's cellar?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Mar 2018, 23:32

Pinch wrote:

That reminds me of back in 1997 when I had to collect one of my pieces from Harrods after having an argument with the Assistant to the Director and while I was in London, I used one of the glossy brochures to browse Bond Street shops randomly to try and make a sale. Many of the shops were appointment only (probably still are) and I tried walking into this particular shop but couldn't get in. I noticed a lady inside so I knocked on the glass with the brochure pressed against it and she approached me, opened the door and asked if I was representing David Linley. :shock:

I naturally laughed and said no, I'm representing myself. Didn't do me much good, she said no thank you. :lol:

I used to work for an outfit that made for Linners. To say the least, he was not (in the trade) thought of very highly. Bit of royal plonker in fact - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 12 Mar 2018, 09:38

Andyp wrote:I hope they go for an extended option. Would love to see those wavy lines.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 12 Mar 2018, 09:39

RogerM wrote:No 12 would be my choice, but my arms are too short and my pockets too deep :lol: I'l grab a beer and draw up my chair 'cos I feel a classic thread developing here!

:lol:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Last edited by Pinch on 12 Mar 2018, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 12 Mar 2018, 09:40

Phil wrote:

Yip, agree.
Maybe some wine from Roger's cellar?

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 12 Mar 2018, 09:45

Woodbloke wrote:
Pinch wrote:

I used to work for an outfit that made for Linners. To say the least, he was not (in the trade) thought of very highly. Bit of royal plonker in fact - Rob

Oh right - a bit of a royal plonker. :lol:

One of my granddad's favourite words was plonker.

Although difficult to believe, I've been called a plonker on the odd occasion. :shock: :shock:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 12 Mar 2018, 10:46

Pinch wrote:

Although difficult to believe, I've been called a plonker on the odd occasion. :shock: :shock:

I suspect we have all been called one over the years ............... :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerM » 12 Mar 2018, 11:05

Phil wrote:
Pinch wrote:

I suspect we have all been called one over the years ............... :lol:

:o :eusa-think: :eusa-naughty: :lol:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Mar 2018, 12:34

Agree with the above comments, I can't wait for this one to develop, could be another Pinch classic!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 13 Mar 2018, 09:50

Mike G wrote:There's more than a hint of Art Deco in one or two of those. I really, really hope they don't go for 4 or 6, but otherwise I reckon they could all be fabulous.

Totally agree. 4 looks like the headquarters of a Bond villain (or Putin) and 6 a bit like a crashed Sputnik. :lol:

I am looking forward to the rest of this thread.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 14 Mar 2018, 09:09

TrimTheKing wrote:Agree with the above comments, I can't wait for this one to develop, could be another Pinch classic!

Thanks Mark, I do hope so sir.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 14 Mar 2018, 09:12

RogerS wrote:

Totally agree. 4 looks like the headquarters of a Bond villain (or Putin) and 6 a bit like a crashed Sputnik. :lol:

I am looking forward to the rest of this thread.

Yes alright Mish Moneypenny - you've made your point. :lol:

There was a white cat wearing an eye patch whilst purring on the desk when I designed those two. :eusa-whistle:

Cheers Roger 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 14 Mar 2018, 09:28

A quick update:

The clients love the design of #12 so I've injected some colour to give an idea of how it will look; 01 in burr oak and 02 in burr walnut cluster. These are actual photos of burr samples from my wood sample collection. The reality will be a series of book matched burr leaves covering the whole table top. These might not be used of course, they might be a different wood species to find the suitable natural colour - all pending.

Sample 01; also showing the octagonal column with grey marbled glass panels.

Sample 02; also showing the octagonal column with brown marbled glass panels. The apron and column's plinth will also be burr walnut on this one.

Exciting.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerM » 14 Mar 2018, 09:51

:text-goodpost:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Rod » 14 Mar 2018, 10:36

Nice

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Mar 2018, 11:32

Oh, bloomin', wow! Stonkingly beautiful!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 16 Mar 2018, 21:01

RogerM wrote::text-goodpost:

Thanks Roger 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak