It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:46

Clinker Boat Bar FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Clinker Boat Bar.

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2018, 16:26

Here's a short video showing the flattening of a wide board using a beautiful old trying plane. I'm putting together some stage WIP videos for promoting purposes on platforms like Facebook, Linkedin etc. I will also upgrade my video camera at some point in the future.

Anyway, thought I'd post it as I mentioned this above in a previous post. Not much too see as you've seen the above photos, but at least there is a bit of actual film of shooting the good old beast across a wide board. You can hear the plane successfully shaving through the bumps as it's designed to do.

[youtube]GKF95FkozO4[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKF95FkozO4

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Apr 2018, 18:05

Lovely sound!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 22 Apr 2018, 08:42

Yes, it sure is. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 22 Apr 2018, 10:03

Just watched it in full HD on YouTube. Big improvement over your previous videos :)

Only comment would be to avoid the flashier transition effects like the big flash of yellow. Go for a style for the whole video rather than use one effect/text style after another.

As always following the woodwork is good too....
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Pinch » 22 Apr 2018, 16:11

Robert wrote:Just watched it in full HD on YouTube. Big improvement over your previous videos :)

Only comment would be to avoid the flashier transition effects like the big flash of yellow. Go for a style for the whole video rather than use one effect/text style after another.

As always following the woodwork is good too....

Thanks Robert... yes, I agree with you about the flashy transitions. Mrs P likes them and feels confident most women will too - I'm not yet convinced, but we shall see. I've recently made 22 slideshows promoting past commissioned projects, some are straight forward fade-in fade-out made on the timeline, but I also made some in the 'Slideshow Creator' and clicked on the 'Normal' tab. The programme then chooses which fade, although you can change this once you're in timeline mode. I've also used the 'Highlight', 'Montage' and 'Motion' options and I like them. I suppose I wanted to mix up the transition styles a bit so that all the slideshow aren't just on fade-in fade-out, but it might be the way to go.

I've made my templates for opening and ending each slideshow and I'm happy with them - will hopefully become a signature for each film. I'm starting a 'Boost' promotion on Facebook tomorrow - 1 slideshow for each day running for 7 days, predominantly targeting the south including London - will see what happens.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 22 Apr 2018, 18:08

First I thought I was getting a free pint... Now there's a vidgeo sans Ruski dancing!

...though a little bit of magic!... Sensi Pinch vamouses at the end of his planning!

... Crafty Merlin

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 23 Apr 2018, 08:37

Jimmy Mack wrote:First I thought I was getting a free pint... Now there's a vidgeo sans Ruski dancing!

...though a little bit of magic!... Sensi Pinch vamouses at the end of his planning!

... Crafty Merlin

:lol: :lol: Thanks Jim. Indeed, that was rather a swift move from the old trying plane to a thumbs up! Yep, I think Merlin was working his craft there.

I've also just realised, I reckon the yellow flash in this short film must have been sown by good old Capt. Blistering Barnicles - maybe a bit of Derren Brown going on there. :eusa-think:

Aye, next time we're travelling up to Newcastle, I shall buy you that pint chap. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2018, 09:03

Greetings Chaps,

I've only worked about 20 hours this week so there's not much progress, but there is some. 8-)

All the hull frames are now made and fitted with the remainder of the plinth, and it's taking on a very nice shape.

The stern is on the right when looking at the bar customer's side, and this bit is a wrap around the right hand reveal.

You can see the actual top is projecting by about 2mm which is for installation tolerance purposes.

This view, also the stern, shows the finished stern will be off vertical as some normally are.

Here is the plinth running through the bar's door. This is now ready for me to start making the actual door - next task.

Inside the bar.

Here's one of the hull frames made from 18mm hardwood ply. The cut outs are for clamping the clinker planks at a later stage.

And all the frames fitted.

The bow - although not showing its outline shape yet.

The small battens are a guide to establish a combination of nice sweeping curves throughout the hull without any kinky jobbies going on. I'm happy with this at the moment but there is a bit of fine tuning to be done yet. All the frames are also splayed down the front edges in line with the bar's top, although the stern frames are slightly more exaggerated (halfway-point-down) to tuck in the bottom planks a wee bit.

Report back soon with the bar door swinging on its hinges.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Apr 2018, 09:19

Nice lines.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2018, 10:10

Malc2098 wrote:Nice lines.

Thanks Malc. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2018, 10:13

Just thought I'd mention... looking over the above photos posted today; it appears the plinth isn't vertical or square from the bench in some places, but this is trick photography because the plinth is spot on square off the bench all the way round.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 29 Apr 2018, 19:03

Pinch wrote:Just thought I'd mention... looking over the above photos posted today; it appears the plinth isn't vertical or square from the bench in some places, but this is trick photography because the plinth is spot on square off the bench all the way round.

Oh OK. I thought it was all part of the realism and it was meant to look like the boat was at sea! :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 26 May 2018, 14:02

9fingers wrote:
Pinch wrote:Just thought I'd mention... looking over the above photos posted today; it appears the plinth isn't vertical or square from the bench in some places, but this is trick photography because the plinth is spot on square off the bench all the way round.

Oh OK. I thought it was all part of the realism and it was meant to look like the boat was at sea! :lol:

Bob

:lol: Very good Bob.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 26 May 2018, 14:03

It's been a while but report back soon with a little bit of a story.

I wanna tell you a story...

It's all good.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 27 May 2018, 07:29

Pinch wrote:It's been a while but report back soon with a little bit of a story.

I wanna tell you a story...

It's all good.

Yes?????? :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Pinch » 08 Jul 2018, 11:05

Greetings chaps 8-)

As you know, I've been working my last professional job part time as I also have a part time job due to circumstances and a new career change in the making - explained in this thread; viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3411

This long'ish post is all the woodwork almost complete in the workshop and almost ready for installation, which I shall update once installed within the next week or so.

The last photo in a previous thread (some weeks ago!) was all the structural work pretty much finished excluding the door as thus;

Now on with the door.

This door was quite tricky and the best way to make it was in stages; marking, cutting, assembling, offering it into its opening and so on... It consists of splays in various directions, bends, bows, scribes etc - only the rear panel has parallel sides and even these are splayed. :P

Here it is laying on its back on a stool bench.

Standing on its head.

The plinth just about showing a small section of the overall curvature of the plinth.

And of the hull's base plank - not sure of the correct terminology in boat building terms.

Here is the door in situ viewed from inside the bar.

And from the public's view of the bar.

With the door now ready to hang, here are a couple of photos showing the 4" brass butts now housed and firmly fitted to this heavy door.

The side wall showing the hinge housings cut out by hand. I've also housed the hinge's knuckles into the wall as well.

Door now successfully hung with a few tweaks to do a bit later - now done.

Opening in stages...

With the door now swinging, the next stage was making/fitting the clinker planks. I've used 12.5mm birch plywood and as the maximum lengths from the sheet of ply was not going exceed 2.4M, I could only make from bow to the bar door instead of one continuous plank from bow-to-stern. Although no probs... but it would have been easier as one continuous plank per tier.

In order to achieve the horizontal sweep of the planks, I cut each plank at a width/depth of approximately 250mm allowing for a 112mm plank including the rebate. Here is the first plank clamped to the frames ready for marking.

This is my marking gauge which I used as a guide throughout the planking.

And now I have a pencil line to cut to using the jigsaw.

With the first plank's lower edge cut, I offered it on to the frames to check for any adjustments.

With the lower edge good, I then marked parallel for the upper edge and fitted this plank to the frames. Before the final fit, I fine sanded each plank by hand to a 400g.

At this stage, I made a template for the inner line of the bow and marked the first plank before starting plank #2.

Now on with plank #2...

Same as #1, clamped it on to the frames and marked the lower edge ready for cutting.

This photo is actually working on #3 plank - not sure what happened to plank #2 photo, but same principle anyway.

The lower edges from here on are rebated over the top edges of the planks below, so #2 is now rebated ready for a trial fit.

The mock up...

After #2 was fitted, I started to make progress with the others...

This photo shows the door closed with some tweaking required to the lower edges of the planks.

Although each plank is firmly fastened with screws at the top edge which are hidden by the rebates, I still needed to fasten the lower edges and for this, I used copper roofing nails pilot holed. These have worked out so well with fixing and appearance, and before the work is varnished, I shall fine sand each nail head again.

The base rail still needs some finer work with shaping, which I shall do in situ when I make & fit the bow section.

The stern is now separated and rudder is made. The hatch is finished and I just have to finish off the bow which should be tomorrow. All going well, I can upload the final photos of the woodwork complete tomorrow or Tuesday evening. Installation is scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 08 Jul 2018, 11:18

Bloody Hell, Paul.....that is bloody fantastic and a great WIP.

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :text-bravo:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Jul 2018, 11:19

Very nice Paul! :eusa-clap:

The thought process and attention to detail is so good.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Robert » 08 Jul 2018, 11:51

That bar is looking great!

You been watching tips from a shipwright on youtube?

[youtube]MYyEvk0f5RE[/youtube]

Bet you could build a bar that floats...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jul 2018, 11:59

Wonderful Work Paul!

You will certainly be finishing your woodworking career on a high note with this project!

Do you plan to be continuing with wood in your spare time or is this a clean break/closing the workshop down for good?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 08 Jul 2018, 12:33

We are really gonna miss this stuff.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby selectortone » 08 Jul 2018, 15:16

Andyp wrote:We are really gonna miss this stuff.

We certainly are. Amazing work Paul.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Jimmy Mack » 08 Jul 2018, 15:24

That looks the Beez Neez

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name: