It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:30

A Cabinet of Curiosities

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

A Cabinet of Curiosities

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Mar 2018, 15:11

Following in the footsteps of the late, great Alan Peters, I've recently taken a liking to contemporary Korean furniture and this Cabinet of Curiosities shares one of the main features found on this type of work, namely a drawer(s) suspended part way with a space either side.

DSC_0002.jpg
(92.94 KiB)

It's made of elm and uses a 'waterfall' pattern, solid elm back panel. Construction of the top cabinet is with elm veneers (top and bottom) with the frames being glued together with 4mm ply inserts running in grooves; again very AP, frame corner jointing with doms.

The accent details are in Indian Ebony..

DSC_0005.jpg
(124.69 KiB)

...such as the 'feet' at the top and bottom of each frame, as well as the door and drawer pulls. The Krenovian style door catch/shadow gap button are also made from ebony. Mars bar if you can spot the 'Dutchman' :D

The drawer box is made from 2mm bandsawn 'waterfall' elm veneers and is principally doweled into position on the lower frame, using my trusty and highly accurate 'Dowlmax' jig.

DSC_0006.jpg
(207.9 KiB)

The drawer itself follows the pattern developed by Rob Ingham and uses an oak rail which runs in a groove underneath the centre drawer muntin, with the bottoms made from solid elm..

DSC_0007.jpg
(299.51 KiB)

...so that although it makes the drawer more difficult to make, it's easier to fit as the sides don't have to touch the frame. The drawer front, again veneered in 'waterfall' elm was glued to a separate piece and then simply screwed onto the oak drawer box.

The final shot..

DSC_0009.jpg
(97.56 KiB)

...shows the rear of the cabinet and the complete pattern of the 'waterfall' elm. This piece of timber (about 2.3m long by 12mm thick) was bought at Yandles(!) a couple of years ago and I snapped it up for about fifty quid when other punters were passing it by...there's still some left for a box or two.

The finish is a couple of coats of matt Osmo PolyX with some of that really good, but bloody expensive organic wax polish (from Sweden, courtesy of CHT) over the top applied with a grey Webrax and then polished with a soft duster. It's been fitted out with six, 6mm glass shelves and the holes for each were made with the ever reliable drilling jig from Veritas.

All that remains now is for SWIMBO to sort out pole position for her teddy bear...

26804880_10212210355388743_3607642434812349009_n.jpg
(47.61 KiB)

..which she bought from the Tokyo Skytree - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: A Cabinet of Curiosities

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Mar 2018, 15:55

Beautiful.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MattS » 22 Mar 2018, 16:06

Wow that is beautiful! The whole cabinet is perfectly proportioned and the ebony details really add to it.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 22 Mar 2018, 16:44

MattS wrote:Wow that is beautiful! The whole cabinet is perfectly proportioned and the ebony details really add to it.

Agree, extremely nice! :eusa-clap:

(Ok so where are WIP fotos???)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 22 Mar 2018, 17:02

Another stunner Rob.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 22 Mar 2018, 19:58

Beautiful work as always Rob. This piece is pure class matey - love it. 8-)

:text-coolphotos:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby StevieB » 22 Mar 2018, 23:27

Very elegant indeed.

Out of interest - why did you dowel the drawer part but domino the top? Just due to the size of the timbers of some other more fundamental reason?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 22 Mar 2018, 23:54

Fantastic :text-bravo:
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Mar 2018, 23:56

StevieB wrote:Very elegant indeed.

Out of interest - why did you dowel the drawer part but domino the top? Just due to the size of the timbers of some other more fundamental reason?

The drawer box rails are doweled into the legs with a single 8mm dowel with a 'notch' cut into the other side to locate the drawer box top panel. I couldn't dom these rails in as the domino would be going across the grain rather than with it. A single dowel sounds a bit 'iffy' but once the whole structure was glued and finished it's turned out to be pretty strong - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 23 Mar 2018, 08:14

That's lovely Rob....I remember admiring Robert's drawer slip mechanism on a lace wood console he made, works really well. Is it in his book?

The end cap details really finish it off too. Top work for a lucky bear!

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 08:37

Jimmy Mack wrote:That's lovely Rob....I remember admiring Robert's drawer slip mechanism on a lace wood console he made, works really well. Is it in his book?

The end cap details really finish it off too. Top work for a lucky bear!

Jim

Many thanks. Yep, his method of making drawers is fully detailed in his book, but it takes some reading to fully get your noodle round how he does it. Once you've cracked the method, it's really clever but make sure you have a decent role of strong d/s tape - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 23 Mar 2018, 09:13

Ah ...DS tape for the guide rail trials

Have you got Robert's book? It's on my list, but was wondering if the majority of it was aimed at beginners.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 12:37

Jimmy Mack wrote:Ah ...DS tape for the guide rail trials

Have you got Robert's book? It's on my list, but was wondering if the majority of it was aimed at beginners.

Jim

No, the ds tape is for the first initial fix of the planted drawer front after the drawer box has been fitted and the front has been shot in to the opening. I have Rob's book and it's definitely not aimed at beginners, quite the reverse - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 23 Mar 2018, 13:12

Oh I'll pop it on the wish list... Signed copy ?

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Mar 2018, 16:37

Very nice - far too good for a Teddy Bear even a German one

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 17:20

Jimmy Mack wrote:Oh I'll pop it on the wish list... Signed copy ?

Mine is! :D Interestingly, Rob Ingham is a good friend of Ian Styles at Axminster and a couple of years ago, I was sat in the main office doing some stuff and Rob strolled through. I didn't recognise him at first until someone pointed him out so I leapt out my chair and had a good old natter with him. Ian has several of Rob's boxes and Ian's wife Katina is dead chuffed with her dressing table as only one other person has got one like it....Jerry Hall :D of Mick Jagger fame - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Mar 2018, 17:49

He used to be a regular at the “Art in Action” events which sadly stopped last year.
I nearly bought one of his boxes (£150) but resisted the temptation, probably a big mistake??
As Rob said very nice to talk to.

I have his book but not signed .

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 23 Mar 2018, 21:43

Had the pleasure of visiting Robert's (immaculate!) workshop and having tea with them both. Robert's a member of the (dormant) Northern Contemporary Furniture Makers and would exhibit with us, he gave a very entertaining keynote speech and veneering demo at one of the group gatherings.

It must of been great to of been tutored by him at Parhnam, he's a funny and natural teacher.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Mar 2018, 08:22

Jimmy Mack wrote:It must of been great to of been tutored by him at Parhnam, he's a funny and natural teacher.

Ian got to know him because Ax supplied all the tool kits for the Parnham students. When I was working briefly in the trade, my then boss was an ex-Parnham student and their name for RI was very simple...'God' - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP