It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:58

Table Saw Cabinet

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Table Saw Cabinet

Postby stephen.wood125 » 27 Aug 2014, 14:08

With some trepidation I'm posting another 'idea' I had.

I decided that the open stand on my table saw was not quite high enough, and also offered no storage for the jigs and whatnots I've accumulated for the saw.

Using a 'proprietary floating tenon device' I made the book shelf below with some scrap birch ply.

I had a scrap MDF walnut veneer cabinet that we inherited when we moved in. I thought it would be good to use this along with some 25mm MDF and some 75mm braked castors I got from Ax.

I've laid out the 'tenons' as below.

After I finish the cutting I will glue it up, The cabinet will have three way mitres to hide the non-veneered sections where possible.

The Birch book shelf only has the corners mitred. (the cleat on the back just has straight edges.

I've not taken many pictures but would welcome comments.

Thanks
Last edited by stephen.wood125 on 29 Aug 2014, 17:11, edited 3 times in total.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Re: Table Saw Cabinet

Postby stephen.wood125 » 27 Aug 2014, 15:00

OK, glued up.

Didn't get any worthwhile pictures due to only having one pair of hands.

It basically went as follows; place base on workbench, insert two dividers. Apply glue to mitres on back and sides including 'loose tenons'. Dump back and sides onto base and align/knock together.

Insert tenons into the top and glue up.

jiggle, swear, pray, pry sides slightly away from back, jiggle more/

Most crucial step is realising you don't own enough clamps. :(

Anyhow, I got the joints cinched together as well as possible checked it was square and will check it in the morning.

Probably someone competent would have done it differently/better. I had to keep telling myself it's just for a table saw and not furniture for the house.

I'm reading the excellent posts on Sketchup so I can try to illustrate what I tried to produce.
Last edited by stephen.wood125 on 29 Aug 2014, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby DaveL » 27 Aug 2014, 16:07

If you have an Aldi store near to you, keep an eye on their weekly offers. They have sets of F clamps, 4 or 5 for ~£10, they or not Bessy class but are very usable, I have 5 or 6 sets now, I bought set each time they came round.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Aug 2014, 16:14

:text-+1:

I buy a pack or two each time they come up. Not amazing but functional and disposable at that price.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 27 Aug 2014, 16:29

stephen.wood125 wrote:OK, glued up.

Didn't get any worthwhile pictures due to only having one pair of hands.

It basically went as follows; place base on workbench, insert two dividers. Apply glue to mitres on back and sides including 'loose tenons'. Dump back and sides onto base and align/knock together.

Insert tenons into the top and glue up.

jiggle, swear, pray, pry sides slightly away from back, jiggle more/

Most crucial step is realising you don't own enough clamps. :(

Anyhow, I got the joints cinched together as well as possible checked it was square and will check it in the morning.

Probably someone competent would have done it differently/better. I had to keep telling myself it's just for a table saw and not furniture for the house.

I'm reading the excellent posts on Sketchup so I can try to illustrate what I tried to produce.

One tip for glue ups.

Things can get a bit traumatic with glue starting to go off before you have everything ready and together.

Consider just applying glue to a portion of the joints/biscuits/doms etc and leave the rest dry.
After an hour or so in the clamps, you can take the dry fitted parts off and glue them. It takes a little longer but less stressful. Just remember to think through which parts you glue so you can get it apart again to glue the rest.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Aug 2014, 16:36

DaveL wrote:If you have an Aldi store near to you, keep an eye on their weekly offers. They have sets of F clamps, 4 or 5 for ~£10, they or not Bessy class but are very usable, I have 5 or 6 sets now, I bought set each time they came round.

I'm waiting for the chisels to come back, will add clamps to my list of things to look for.

Wizard9999.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby stephen.wood125 » 27 Aug 2014, 16:40

Thanks for that, guys!

I've a few of the actual K-Body and Revo which are excellent, but I actually think the Uniklamps are overpriced.

There is an Aldi in Runcorn near the gym so I will keep a close look out.

@ Bob, Thanks for that, it's great to hear how more skilled people approach things!

As you said it's crucial to have things as prepped as possible before the glue goes on. I have a great skill to suddenly see a totally different way of operating- as soon as it's too late- I suppose this will come with practise/experience.. well, that and good advice 8-)
I actually wondered (after the glue was on : too late) about a band clamp and corners to help stabilise the mitres.

To be honest (as you will see when I get some pics of the monstrosity I turned out!) I've been working away a lot and am very rusty. Tomorrow's 'game' once I get the monstrosity off the work bench, is a hand cut dovetail to see how far my skills have slipped :D

Thanks for the tips.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby stephen.wood125 » 29 Aug 2014, 13:07

Quick update,

Out of the clamps. I don't think Tage Frid has anything to worry about :) I keep telling myself it's just a box to plonk my saw on.

I'm also painfully aware of the fact that the 'grain' on the back is the wrong way round, but short of joining two pieces it was the only piece of scrap big enough.

Hole cut in the top

Wooden battens fixed with Doms and glue. I didn't want to try screwing/fixing into MDF, I considered fitting dowels into the end of the MDF and screwing into that, This was quicker and less fiddly.

You can also see in the pic the 'ramp' which will form the basis of the dust collection.

I will glue a dust port into the back so the bottom is level. Just have to work out and fit some 'fillets' to further encourage the dust towards the hole.

I also bought a sheet of fridge magnet type material from Amazon to cover the curved slot for the tilt mech on the saw.
Last edited by stephen.wood125 on 29 Aug 2014, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Aug 2014, 15:37

9fingers wrote:One tip for glue ups.

Things can get a bit traumatic with glue starting to go off before you have everything ready and together.

Consider just applying glue to a portion of the joints/biscuits/doms etc and leave the rest dry.
After an hour or so in the clamps, you can take the dry fitted parts off and glue them. It takes a little longer but less stressful. Just remember to think through which parts you glue so you can get it apart again to glue the rest.

Bob

Agreed. The other alternative is to use a glue with a much longer 'open time', which is why I've gone back to Cascamite urea-formaldehyde stuff for more complicated assemblies - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stephen.wood125 » 29 Aug 2014, 16:01

Thanks for that, I've not used cascamite since school! 8-)

I've made the dust chute just now, but will spare you all the pics until I've moved away from dropbox which makes the thread take ages to load- I'm well aware that my dreadful attempts at woodworking are not worth waiting so long for. I will edit the original posts and just remove the image tags for now.
Last edited by stephen.wood125 on 29 Aug 2014, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 29 Aug 2014, 17:10

Steve, don't beat yourself up so much. :lol:
It is a functional workshop item not an exhibition piece and in any case I can't see anything wrong with it.

Cascamite has its place but it does go off in storage and whilst it main asset is long open time, that can also slow you down when you don't need that feature.

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 29 Aug 2014, 17:25

Thanks Bob, very kind- I'm afraid it's a habit I developed early :lol: I cook something my GF really likes and then narrate all the things I think I got wrong and where I would improve it!

Next instalment completed, Also old links updated- I've ditched dropbox and now use Photobucket seems to have cut the thread loading time- wonder if it's because DB uses HTTPS, perhaps takes additional time to parse the links?

Anyhoo..

Playing around with a sliding bevel and cardboard yielded this:

I planed the edges to improve the contact with the ramp. I used a scrap piece to support the thin pieces in the vice.

The two pieces cut, planed and temp fitted with masking tape

The front fillet fitted(ish) the cardboard circle was to help me position the ramps etc to try and ensure best contact with no 'lip' for dust to be trapped in.

When the silicone dries and it's all set, I will fit the doors tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 29 Aug 2014, 17:41

Even though I'm strange enough to enjoy playing with numbers, calculating things and doing trigonometry :shock:
Making templates to fit from card is a very powerful technique. I keep a small stack of flattened cereal boxes in the workshop for that very purpose.

Craftsmen woodworkers will often take measurements on a jobsite with a "rod" - a length of wood with pencil marks on to indicate dimensions and then make a full size pattern to work from. _ check out Paul Pinch's stair case project for a classic example.

Bob

PS photobucket pics are loading soooo much faster :obscene-drinkingcheers:
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 29 Aug 2014, 17:58

:text-goodpost:

Ha! good to hear, part of my day job involves explaining trig and it's usage to map symbols in a constellation for digital modulation (plenty of j numbers etc :) ) and I confess to loving learning anything I can about Maths and Physics :lol:
That alone gets me plenty strange looks!

I reached for the cardboard without even thinking of intersecting planes :?

Paul's staircase is an absolute thing of beauty, following that thread closely.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 29 Aug 2014, 18:59

stephen.wood125 wrote:
Ha! good to hear, part of my day job involves explaining trig and it's usage to map symbols in a constellation for digital modulation (plenty of j numbers etc :) ) and I confess to loving learning anything I can about Maths and Physics :lol:

EEK! that takes me back to my day job in electronics research! I worked with a chap who wrote whole book on modulation!
Thankfully I'm off the treadmill now!
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 29 Aug 2014, 19:28

Wow, I'm always in awe of that, I'm basically just enjoying the innovations these excellent scientists have discovered and refined.

I'm sure your job was incredibly interesting and stimulating! Mine has been quite dull and then before this week's leave we had a serious perceived problem so I was in the labs in Milan playing with frequency counters and oscilloscopes- totally revitalised me!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Return to Projects & WIP