It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:50

Garden Arbour/Windbreak, Finished

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Garden Arbour/Windbreak, Finished

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2019, 20:53

Thanks Malc,

Thanks Robert, the missus wants some large trough like planters of the faux stone variety. The table is normally at that end of the terrace and it can get very windy. I also have a weather vane to install and I might resurrect some hanging baskets that have been languishing in the barn for 12 years.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 16 Jun 2019, 08:17

Really looks great, nice job! 8-) :eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jun 2019, 09:21

Robert wrote:Very nice.

Just thinking it looks like it should do more than be a windbreak....it's too good! Needs a couple of bench seats built between the trellis panels and some cushions scattered around maybe :)

Nice job Andy and I agree with Robert...a couple of bench seats in there would work a treat. On the other hand, SWIMBO had other ideas :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 16 Jun 2019, 11:07

Andyp wrote:
RogerM wrote:Looking good Andy. I'm liking that scarf joint!

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerM wrote:Looking good Andy. I'm liking that scarf joint!

Same here Rog, very oriental :D - Rob

Thanks. It really is very tight and strong even with those slight gaps. Although getting the wedges the right height so that they fit snuggly bit don't force the joint apart is critical.
I now have to work up the courage to make one where the two pieces to be joined are 2.4m long.
I learned from a YouTube video recently that using the material that the wedge will be cut from, as your making template when you mark up the scarf joint, means the wedge thickness will be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2019, 11:20

Woodbloke wrote:
Robert wrote:Very nice.

Just thinking it looks like it should do more than be a windbreak....it's too good! Needs a couple of bench seats built between the trellis panels and some cushions scattered around maybe :)

Nice job Andy and I agree with Robert...a couple of bench seats in there would work a treat. On the other hand, SWIMBO had other ideas :D - Rob

Guys, stop it. I do not want to make a bench seat. :) I know what you mean though, there are plenty of examples on interweb of seats within an arbour. We discussed it about a year ago and decided against. Like most examples of the fairer sex she could always change her mind.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP