It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:59

The Orangerie - duff glass-fibre-coating REPAIRED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: The Orangerie - roof skeleton in place

Postby RogerS » 21 Oct 2018, 18:27

Robert wrote:Just wondering if a decent sized fan would inflate your plastic bubble and give you a domed roof.

Unlikely I know :)

Our glass fibre orangery roof is surrounded by parapet wall. There are outlets for rainwater at 3 positions with lead linings formed into chutes into downpipe boxes. makes me wonder if you need a gutter. Just do it with the roof profile.

The roof detail will be similar to this/ The guttering is effectively 'hidden' bar the downpipe

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Oct 2018, 21:55

Hey Ho.

Another trip down South and another strong wind. Just got back. In the dark it looks as if the top sheet has been ripped off completely leaving the whole thing exposed. Luckily no rain for now but.... :(

Will have to see what tomorrow brings with daylight. May well have to cut losses and admit defeat for this year.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Oct 2018, 22:58

Oh dear “Winter is coming”!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 08:23

FUBAR :evil:

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Oct 2018, 10:00

Oh dear. Regroup and review.

I'm too far away to lend a hand. The only research I can find shows that securing a tarp to a roof is to have fixed battens over the tarp attached somehow either over or through to the structure underneath.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 11:04

Malc2098 wrote:Oh dear. Regroup and review.

I'm too far away to lend a hand. The only research I can find shows that securing a tarp to a roof is to have fixed battens over the tarp attached somehow either over or through to the structure underneath.

Nothing to regroup and review. I've spent £600 on the scaffolding. Do I get a more heavy duty tarpaulin for the roof or is that throwing good money after bad. Everything is sopping wet. If I shroud the roof stuff now then it's going to get mouldy and manky. If I don't cover it then the wet weather/snow/ice is going to trash it.

Do I simply admit defeat and get the chainsaw out ?

Out of ideas here, bud. Out of ideas.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Oct 2018, 11:27

Heavier duty tarps and stick with it! Don't let the b*stard wind drag you down!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 25 Oct 2018, 11:41

Crikey what a mess to come home to.

I’d go for heavy duty tarps, perhaps two layers depending on the price, lots of guy ropes and an industrial hot air heater to dry the wood out.
Would varnishing them, when dry, work to give some protection?
What about a layer of strong netting over everything??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 25 Oct 2018, 11:55

Don't give up on your plan. Rods suggestion of strong netting seems a very good idea !!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 25 Oct 2018, 12:01

Regarding the osb, could you slap on some cheap and cheerful polyurethane varnish...or anything that would still allow the fibreglass to still stick ? Those pile of sheets on the floor may not take too long if you used a 9 inch roller on a stick. It's extra expense but at least the water wouldn't be getting soaked in.....as much.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Oct 2018, 12:49

I presume the structure itself is pretty stable, so I'd be inclined to tarp the structure in the first instance with whatever you've got left, but leave some through gaps for draft to ventilate and assist drying. Can you batten any of the tarp down to the top of the structure?

Then I'd try and tarp the scaffolding using the suggestions of the guys above.

That should buy time to consider how to adapt to this situation.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Oct 2018, 12:52

I found my OSB stack was OK with a cheap tarp wrapped round it. When unwrapped but stacked, I found that moisture got in the edges, so it's the edges that need protecting, and the top sheet projects all the rest.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby StevieB » 25 Oct 2018, 13:31

Depends how much money you want to spend, but I would be tempted to look at building an OSB or ply 'wall' around the scaffolding you have - bolt or otherwise fixing the OSB to the scaffold itself. That will take you to 8ft high - a bit like they do around construction sites. Then you only have the same to do on top of the scaffold or tarp the top in some way. If you can reuse the OSB later for other rough jobs such as shuttering etc then so much the better.

A tarp cover in and of itself is going to be a pipper with the winds you have up there, and keeping the rain out is also not simple. You are never going to Heath Robinson a watertight temporary construction from just tarp and scaffolding.

If you do want to give up, work out the cost of a good protective structure, and the cost or starting from scratch and decide then which to go for.... It is a depressing situation now and you are fed-up, but taking a step back and being logical about your options will make you grateful you did when you have had time to think things over.

Just a thought - but is a completed orangery going to be sound if the weather is that bad up there?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 15:12

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have now had chance to take a closer look. The 8m x 10m top is trashed. Many of the eyelets pulled out. Notice that the listing says that they are not covered by any warranty. Now there's a surprise. One of the bottom side ones has also had its eyelets ripped out at the bottom but I can live with that.

Having come this far and bearing in mid that the wood OSB is too damp to do anything with until it dries ...so no varnishing etc .... and that I reckon cocooning it in plastic is going to be a recipe for disaster as it's wet now, I'll have one last try and get an even more heavy duty tarpaulin for the roof.

I had thought about something like a cargo net but do recall not having much success as to size. But will revisit. I may well jury rig something up as I have scaffold tubes in the right place to do this and a huge drum of blue cord left (I bought a 500m drum for this project :o )

I'm also thinking that the top will have one end unfastened so that any wind has somewhere to escape from hence reduce the loading.

Just damn glad I brought all my tools in before I went away.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 25 Oct 2018, 15:17

Any way to attach timber battens to the scaffold then batten over the tarp so it is sandwiched between battens? Don't need eyelets then and the result should be stronger.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Oct 2018, 15:18

I would definitely leave the ends taught but not tied down so the wind can rush through.

How about a few smaller cargo nets cable tied together along the edges if you can't get a large one...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Harv-53 » 25 Oct 2018, 16:57

Robert wrote:Any way to attach timber battens to the scaffold then batten over the tarp so it is sandwiched between battens? Don't need eyelets then and the result should be stronger.

Hi Roger
I’ve very successfully cable tied tile batten to scaffolding poles before and then done as Robert has said. Screw another batten on top with the tarp sandwiched in between, you’re then able to pull the tarp fairly taut and shouldn’t get to many puddles. If you search for scaffold debris netting you can get 3m x 50m quite cheaply and could put that over the top for extra security,
Harvey
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby RogerM » 25 Oct 2018, 17:04

:text-+1: for the OSB structure idea. We used it to replace the gable end of our ground floor after the wall was removed between our old and new kitchen extension. You should be able to pick up some 9mm OSB for around £12 a sheet, and with a bit of 3" x 2" framing it shouldn't cost too much. Batten a tarp over the top and tie the whole lot down and you should have something that'll last the winter.

You don't come across as a quitter Roger, and I don't think you're about to start now! Chin up. :D
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 25 Oct 2018, 17:20

Can only offer virtual support and encouragement.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 17:35

The trouble with the OSB idea is twofold. The size of the structure for one..back of the envelope suggests 16 sheets alone needed for the smaller front wall, probably 24 or so for the back higher wall...that's £500 for starers .. then we have the two ends. And I'd struggle to get anything up there on the roof.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerM » 25 Oct 2018, 18:54

RogerS wrote:The trouble with the OSB idea is twofold. The size of the structure for one..back of the envelope suggests 16 sheets alone needed for the smaller front wall, probably 24 or so for the back higher wall...that's £500 for starers .. then we have the two ends. And I'd struggle to get anything up there on the roof.
Fair enoughsky. From what I can see, the main problem is along edges, which once broken free in a wind, will beat themselves to death. I quite understand the weight issue of osb too. How about a frame of 3*2 attached to the scaffolding to which you attach tarps with battens in the key load positions. There has to be a way!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 19:28

That is a bloody crackingly good idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Oct 2018, 22:18

In fact, while cooking tonights supper I had a :idea: moment and cancelled the heavy duty tarpaulin as I can use the existing tarpaulin with a batten sandwich. And you know what ? I'd forgotten that I'd used this technique about four years ago for a cover for LOML's plants to over-winter :eusa-doh:

Got a Travis delivery tomorrow and so will try and get them to stick some roofing battens on.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Oct 2018, 22:32

Result! :eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerM » 25 Oct 2018, 22:58

RogerS wrote:That is a bloody crackingly good idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Glad to have been of service. Where do I send my fee note? Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP