It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:02

The Orangerie - duff glass-fibre-coating REPAIRED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: The Orangerie - here comes the SUN !!

Postby Coley » 03 Dec 2018, 21:17

You got your mojo back you got your mojo back !!!! sounds like you've had a good day- nice to hear things are getting better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Re: The Orangerie - here comes the SUN !!

Postby Rod » 03 Dec 2018, 22:16

It’s amazing what a difference a bit of sunshine brings about.
Keep playing Mr Blue Skies

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: The Orangerie - fibreglassing FINISHED!

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2018, 13:41

They got the forecast wrong and the temperature was just about there. Luckily the wind had been of help (for once) and dried out a lot of the remaining roof and more importantly got rid of any condensation from underneath the roof tarpaulin...when that condensation got bad, it rained in there!

So, finished the topcoat. I took a quick look at the first lot of topcoat and TBH it could do with another coat but that can wait until spring.

Having decided to wrap it up for the winter, it is quite cathartic to hear the wind ripping at the tarpaulins but not care ! :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2018, 13:52

:eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 08 Dec 2018, 17:06

Well done Roger.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerM » 08 Dec 2018, 17:21

Great job Roger. This is not defeat - just a temporary tactical withdrawal so that you can fight another day. Hunker down for a Northumbrian winter and you'll be ready to attack the job with renewed enthusiasm in the spring. :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby RogerS » 12 Mar 2019, 22:50

Well, I've lost track of the storms and the various coverings. Spent a small fortune. Few months back, we were on covering Mark 3 or was it 4? Then Storm Dierdre came along and wrecked that. Or was it Storm Erik ? Dunno.

So I bit the bullet and followed Billybuntus's suggestion and got Vizqueen wrapped round it. Only problem was, no suitable sizes to cover the roof in one and so I relied on Vizqueen tape and thought I'd put some silicon in the join for added protection. Storm Fryea came and went and I thought 'Result'.

Gareth is now telling me who is actually boss. The roof covering and tape has been ripped off. Silicon does not stick to Vizqueen. Hey ho..past caring.

I have one final solution for the roof but will wait until Gareth has done his stuff.

Jesus...as I type this the sashes are rattling. It is blowing a Hoolie out there.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Mar 2019, 10:21

You're not alone mate, even down here in the Southern North it's blowing like a good thing!!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 13 Mar 2019, 13:09

I did notice a slight breeze here in the deep south but nowt worth getting excited about.

I even put a jumper on expecting a bot more but am getting mildly over heated now. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Doug » 13 Mar 2019, 13:28

Its been fun carrying 8'x4' sheets of plywood on my own from the van today :? :?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby billybuntus » 16 Mar 2019, 19:50

RogerS wrote:Well, I've lost track of the storms and the various coverings. Spent a small fortune. Few months back, we were on covering Mark 3 or was it 4? Then Storm Dierdre came along and wrecked that. Or was it Storm Erik ? Dunno.

So I bit the bullet and followed Billybuntus's suggestion and got Vizqueen wrapped round it. Only problem was, no suitable sizes to cover the roof in one and so I relied on Vizqueen tape and thought I'd put some silicon in the join for added protection. Storm Fryea came and went and I thought 'Result'.

Gareth is now telling me who is actually boss. The roof covering and tape has been ripped off. Silicon does not stick to Vizqueen. Hey ho..past caring.

I have one final solution for the roof but will wait until Gareth has done his stuff.

Jesus...as I type this the sashes are rattling. It is blowing a Hoolie out there.

You could of sandwiched the visqueen between two pieces of timber and screwed through. Gorilla tape it over.
billybuntus
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Mar 2019, 22:41

billybuntus wrote:
RogerS wrote:Well, I've lost track of the storms and the various coverings. Spent a small fortune. Few months back, we were on covering Mark 3 or was it 4? Then Storm Dierdre came along and wrecked that. Or was it Storm Erik ? Dunno.

You could of sandwiched the visqueen between two pieces of timber and screwed through. Gorilla tape it over.

That's my next plan !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: The Orangerie - Lantern

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2019, 11:58

Time to start thinking about the lantern.

Here is the skeleton (partial) of the lantern. For information it fits a hole approx 2.5m wide x 7m long. That makes the ridge board approx 4.4 m long.

lantern.png
(101.26 KiB)

Lots to think about. :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 02 Apr 2019, 10:36

What are you making it from Roger also what type of glazing you going for?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Apr 2019, 12:10

Doug wrote:What are you making it from Roger also what type of glazing you going for?

Unsorted redwood. Linseed oil painted. Single glazing. Alukap framing.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2019, 18:32

Next few days are looking promising weather-wise. The plan is to get the lantern framework installed and painted.

Loads of planing and thicknessing. It's about this point in a project that I yearn for a 4-sider.

I've done as detailed a SketchUp drawing as I can. Not too sure how it will all pan out ...we shall see.

The ridge board glueing up. Option A with domino's is what I opted for.

Plan is to fit the two end rafters to the ridge board, apply some ply reinforcements and haul it up. Then fix in position and get some rafter fitted pronto. I'm putting off the hip rafters for as long as possible. Compound angles an' all.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 08 Apr 2019, 20:36

The race is on!!

I'm hoping to get mine up on the roof this weekend, good luck Roger :eusa-clap:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby RogerS » 11 Apr 2019, 21:45

Most of the day in Newcastle clothes shopping for our break away :(

Managed to get a little bit of time. Covers off and hoist in place.

Ridge board and end rafters screwed and braced together

Trial lift seemed to work OK but I realised that I needed an extra pair of hands to do the positioning or rope pulling. And to think I was considering pulling up the whole thing with all the rafters fitted !

Fresh out of spare hands so put it to bed for the night to keep the dew/frost off.

Tomorrow is another day.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Apr 2019, 09:24

Thursday

A new day dawns and with renewed vigour, the ridge beam was hauled up and into place all by my ownsome.

First rafter in place and it fits (more or less)

Had to go out for the day but determined to get the ridge beam reasonably secured before nightfall so I could drag the cover back over.

All feels a little bit rickety though, TBH :( Hopefully when it all gets screwed down and more rafters added it will stiffen up.

Friday

Once the frost had gone from the covering, started to add more rafters. Incidentally, having that scaffold frame still present gives lots of handholds !

The ridge beam has domino slots already cut for alignment purposes. Marked up the other ends on the 'wall-plates' ...for want of a better word. Some niggling thoughts though at the back of my mind. First rafter went in OK although the birdsmouth wasn't a brilliant fit. I'm glad though that I've opted to do a 'reverse' birdsmouth as it means I can tap in some thin folding wedges between the birdsmouth and wall-plate to tighten up the rafter prior to fixing to the wall-plate.

Second rafter on the other side turned out to need more tweaking then I would have liked. Reason for saying that is that I'd thought I'd be able to make a template for the rafters and then 'cookie-cut' the birdsmouths out with a bearing guided router cutter. Trouble is that, given the length and width of the building, the wall-plates are not mm level, co-planar with each opposite member or equal in spacing down the length. So each rafter is going to have to be individual trimmed. :(

The other cock-up is that I've managed to install the ridge beam not 100% vertical. This makes checking for rafter squareness relative to the ridge beam tricky as if you don't hold the square evenly spaced then because of the skew on the ridge beam, the rafter looks out of square. It took me a while to realise that. I hate working with slopes !

So got into a bit of a routine. Measuring the distance to the birdsmouth is made much easier with one of these.

I've got a range of sizes that cover most things. Absolutely brilliant for checking inside diagonals, amongst other things.

So cut the 15 degree slope off the rafter end....or 16 degrees as it is on one side due to my ridge beam cock-up :oops:

Cut the domino slot while it's all clamped down.

Quick blast of compressed air to clean it out.

Apply the measuring stick to mark the birdsmouth

Mark the right 15 degree slope

Mark off the depth...note it will be slightly less than the 20mm needed due to the slope. That's where this gizmo comes in handy. Very quick to mark off. I use these a lot.

Use this to get my 90 degree line. It's here that I guess I could use a template for marking out.

Cut the shoulder. Not a lot of kerf on the small tenon saw I use.

Then cut the slope with a jigsaw.

Check for squareness as sometimes the jigsaw blade wanders. This ones OK although TBH they never sit that well on top of the wall-palte. Remember - Roger - it's not furniture.

That niggling doubt won't go away. Just wish I knew what it was.

Other 'must-do's' came into play and so not as much progress as I'd have liked. By the end of the day I'd done these

On the plus side, it's all stiffened up nicely. On the downside, the gusts of wind make the building nudge slightly. Sooner I get the walls finished the better.

And that niggling doubt is 'Have I got those rafters parallel and square to each other or are they tapering out or in such that the glass won't fit properly ? I hunted around for something to cut up into the size of a pane. 9mm offcuts of plywood not large enough. My board cutting space on the floor is filled up with prepared timber for the rafters. Too much of a fag anyway to get the track saw out. I'm sure those rafters are spot-on.

Saturday morning

Dammit. I've got to do a dry run with a mock-up pane of glass. Cardboard is too flimsy and will droop. Ditto the worktop templating material. Going to have to be a jury-rigged bit of 9mm plywood.

To be continued ....
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Apr 2019, 09:41

All on your ownsome? You're well 'ard, Sunshine!

Looking good from here, Roger.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 13 Apr 2019, 09:46

So did you go for a 1 piece ridge in the end Roger? Can't see a joint in your photos.

All looking good so far. Well worth the glazing check jig though. Would be a PITA to have to specify individual trapezoid glass panes :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2019, 09:54

9fingers wrote:So did you go for a 1 piece ridge in the end Roger? Can't see a joint in your photos. Bob

Keep up Bob... :)

RogerS wrote:The ridge board glueing up. Option A with domino's is what I opted for.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 13 Apr 2019, 10:05

Andyp wrote:
9fingers wrote:So did you go for a 1 piece ridge in the end Roger? Can't see a joint in your photos. Bob

Keep up Bob... :)

RogerS wrote:The ridge board glueing up. Option A with domino's is what I opted for.

:oops: Sorry I've been very busy lately working in a flat I bought this week and not been reading everything on here lately.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 13 Apr 2019, 12:35

Don’t you use dust extraction on your domino Rog?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Apr 2019, 12:48

Doug wrote:Don’t you use dust extraction on your domino Rog?

If I'm doing a lot at the same time then yes. But the hose gets in my way if you're just doing 1 every 20 minutes or so.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP