It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:17

Project Merlin

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Project Merlin

Postby Pinch » 16 Aug 2018, 20:35

Greetings my fellow lovelies! :D

I started working on a 1:10 scaled model of a bespoke house I wanted to self build for me 18 years ago. Not only did I never build the house, but I never finished building the model - no surprises there you might be thinking! :lol: :P :|

I started building this model shortly after buying Merlin the wizard who's been residing in my workshop for the last few years, but he's coming home soon. I've always loved oak framed buildings and this build was going to be constructed using green oak, so the model is made from pine and balsa wood to replicate a timber construction. I did also prepare some drawings, but I don't know where they are.

The first floor was going to be larger than the ground floor with a Tudor style overhang and front porch. The roof was going to be 50 degrees. The inside was going to be open plan of busyness with balconies in the vaulted roof as bedrooms. Access to these balconies would have been via their own walkways along the first floor joists and a small flight of stairs leading up to them. Heavily carved figures of a man and woman looking at each other supporting both corners of the front porch (I hadn't decided on their expressions) were also on the agenda. Merlin would have taken prime position pretty much in the central area of the ground floor. The staircase is a feature within itself, consisting of red brick construction, maple treads and a central column with a carving of a naked lady elevating up in to the roof - carved with a scalpel. I named this figure lady Kahlan. The red bricks in the model are small pieces of balsa wood cut to the length, height and depth of a brick, each one stuck on to a circular balsa wood plate to support each tread and up through to the first floor. I removed the arris on the balsa bricks and once they were all laid, I applied a thin coat of pva and filler mixture. I then painted the whole thing in a creamy yellow paint and then painted each brick individually in red. After this, I cut/fitted all of the treads. The first floor gallery did have it's newels and balustrade fitted, but these have now gone.

Anyway, the model has been under the central bench in the workshop for the last 6 years and today, I pulled it out to be reunited. It now looks like the aftermath... :|

The dilemma I'm in is this: Do I take it to the tip or finish building it at home as a hobby?
:eusa-think: :eusa-think:

I'm never going to build it in reality now, I let that opportunity go by years ago.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Project Merlin

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2018, 21:23

Do you really need to ask that question ? :o

Enjoy finishing it
:eusa-dance:

Like all your work, it's superb....puts my bodging to shame.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Aug 2018, 21:39

Go for it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 17 Aug 2018, 08:59

Would be a great project Paul but with Mr Practicabilities hat on it it looks huge. Where on earth would you put it once finished?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 09:53

RogerS wrote:Do you really need to ask that question ? :o

Enjoy finishing it
:eusa-dance:

Like all your work, it's superb....puts my bodging to shame.

I would really love to, but :eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:

Trouble is, if I give management a tiny tiny sniff of consideration, it will be on its way to the tip. :shock:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 09:59

Malc2098 wrote:Go for it!

:eusa-think: :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 10:01

Andyp wrote:Would be a great project Paul but with Mr Practicabilities hat on it it looks huge. Where on earth would you put it once finished?

Yep, this is the problem - I have the Mr Practicabilities hat on at the mo.

Do I consult management? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 17 Aug 2018, 14:29

Pinch wrote:
Andyp wrote:Would be a great project Paul but with Mr Practicabilities hat on it it looks huge. Where on earth would you put it once finished?

Yep, this is the problem - I have the Mr Practicabilities hat on at the mo.

Do I consult management? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:

Don't even go there !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 17 Aug 2018, 15:56

Bin it.

What would you do with it when its finished? Spend your time on something more practical/worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 19:50

stu wrote:Bin it.

What would you do with it when its finished? Spend your time on something more practical/worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oi, can you be a bit more direct..... bin it...... :lol:

Yep, you're probably right Stu.

Mind you, some house models can sell for quite a bit of money, but the reality is I don't even know when I would have the time and it is large which would be one hell of a squeeze in my little hobby shop. Also, I'm thinking about designing and making a new desk for myself, so this would be the project to follow. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Aug 2018, 14:05

I'd finish it . You could always do some kinda miniature movie with it... Where (if you don't like it) it gets blown up at the end! Or maybe a massive bus skids off an Alpine road and into it?!

Could it be disguised as a coffee table?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 19 Aug 2018, 18:13

Draw it in sketchup instead and get daver to help render it so it looks realistic.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP