It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:57

Hully's Bespoke Kitchen Build

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Hully's Bespoke Kitchen Build

Postby Hully » 31 Aug 2018, 15:55

Hi All

With the workshop build complete I'm now moving onto my next project, a bespoke kitchen build. This will be my biggest project (at least furniture project) to date, and while I've built cabinets and flat pack kitchens before I've never built a bespoke kitchen so it should be fun! :shock:

I'll post up all the details and start the WIP photos in the next week or two but before that I wanted to get some advice from you guys on how to build the enclosure around the stainless steel American fridge freezer we're getting.

Most of the pictures of fridge enclosures that I've seen have the enclosures up tight against the side of the fridge, with the front of the fridge protruding out past the front of the enclosure/cabinets to make enough clearance for the doors to open.There are some super expensive fridges that use special hinges which allows the fridge front to sit inline with the enclosure/cabinet fronts, but I dont have £6K to spend on a fridge :D

I'd like to avoid having the fridge protruding out so I'm thinking about positioning the sides of the enclosure far enough from the sides of the fridge to allow the doors to open while the front of the fridge sits inline with the front of the enclosure/cabinets. That would leave a big gap (maybe 200mm) on either side of the fridge so you could then block that up with a filler piece set back in the enclosure to give the necessary clearance for the fridge doors to open.

I'm pretty sure I read about this method being used before on another UK forum but have never seen any pictures of it so I was wondering if anyone has ever used/seen this method and if so does anyone have any photos they could share?

Or is there a better way to achieve the same thing, as the above method may not look that slick with such wide filler pieces??

Or do I just need to have a fridge that sticks out? :lol:

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Bespoke Kitchen Build

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Aug 2018, 16:14

Could you hinge the filler's on sprung hinges that fold back when the fridge door pushed on them, but then spring back when the fridge door closes...?

Might not exist off the shelf but I'm sure the hardware exists to DIY it...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Hully's Bespoke Kitchen Build

Postby Mike G » 31 Aug 2018, 21:20

It'd be great if you had a drawing of your kitchen before you start posting photos of your work. It helps readers to work out what they're looking at.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP