It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:47

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (utility cupboards)

Postby kirkpoore1 » 07 Sep 2019, 02:52

Mike G wrote:
Andyp wrote:Who says trefoils can only be one way up? :)

Yep, that's the cock-up. God knows what went wrong.

Bah! Wrong would have been pointed sideways. :)

BTW, I like the cream and maroon paint color. Almost exactly what I painted my shaper and my lathe.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby marineboy » 07 Sep 2019, 08:07

Really nice work with some very clever details. I don’t know how you find the time to carry out all your projects, including your 8 sheds.
marineboy
Seedling

Name: Nick

Postby mjdewet » 17 Sep 2019, 16:21

All the buzyness you've been up to... Does me no good at all!

And with all the lovely weather (at least in the Costwolds) I've not been able to smell your 'braai'!!!
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Postby Mike G » 17 Sep 2019, 17:46

Hi Thys. The Cotswolds? Lovely part of the world.....

I've not had too much time for BBQs (or braais) this summer, unfortunately.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mjdewet » 18 Sep 2019, 18:04

Mike, Visiting my son and daughter in the UK. Son lives in Doughton, near Tetbury, and daughter in Harpenden, near St Albans.
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Postby chataigner » 19 Sep 2019, 17:34

Been while since I visited, so I've only read the last few pages, but your progress looks amazing as always Mike.
Will look at the last year or so over the next couple of days...
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 19 Sep 2019, 20:16

Where have you been, David?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 20 Sep 2019, 10:39

Mike G wrote:Where have you been, David?

Here all the time, but insanely busy. President of a local leisure association, active in two photo clubs and the equestrian club, helped a neighbour's daughter pass the BAC in English and that has mushroomed into teaching two evening classes. Then there is a big garden etc etc. On top of all that, Isabelle has successfully let her investment flat in St Yrieix and has now bought a town house to renovate and let - guess who has been fitting the new kitchen and sorting the crazy electrics ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 20 Sep 2019, 12:21

We weren't a million miles away from you on our bike ride this summer, from Calais to Oviedo in northern Spain. We went through Angouleme to La Roche Chalet (in god-awful thunderstorms) in late July.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (potting shed bench)

Postby Mike G » 25 Sep 2019, 21:46

I left my wife to paint her potting shed, and then turned my attention to the benches etc. This isn't very exciting stuff, but shows that even in making a rough old bit of something out of 4x2s, some decent joinery will give you a massively strong structure.

Here is a dovetail on a rather large scale. The angle was chosen at random:

I re-made this saw a while back, and with an aggressive rip cut and largish teeth it is fine for long-grain work in pine:

Marking up the pin board is no different to marking up a box or drawer, albeit all the marks at this scale are made with a pencil, without a marking knife or gauge:

I made all three frames with a 15mm upstand of the horizontal member above the vertical, so that shrinkage would never be an issue:

I seem to have forgotten to take a photo of the M&T here, between the brace and the vertical:

Here's the other end, awaiting the fitting of the horizontal piece:

Glued up, then screwed to the wall. You'll note that the farthest on had a variation on the horizontal member, as the bench will be along 2 adjacent walls:

I cut and cleaned up a couple of scaffold boards, ran a saw blade down the joint, and fixed them in place (with relief cuts to the underside). If they shrink at all I'll simply unscrew them and squeeze them up a bit tighter:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Sep 2019, 10:17

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Roof insulation finished)

Postby tabs » 09 Nov 2019, 12:52

Mike G wrote:The problem is this Steve. You can't actually see if you have filled the gaps to full depth. It is perfectly straightforward to put a superficial bead along the surface, say an inch deep, which fully seals, and I would bet my bottom dollar that that is exactly what gets done on site. So, I may have done a decent job, but I can't be sure.

My alternative from now on will be spray foam insulation, sprayed in-situ. They use a 2 part foam, rather than an air-drying one, and can accurately build up the depth to the thickness of the rafters (there would need top be a backing board to keep the air gap under the roofing membrane). There would be no question at all that all of the rafters were fully filled, and no voids created. Have a look here: http://www.sprayfoaminsulation.co.uk/gallery/domestic-roofing-and-insulation.aspx

Thanks for posting the link to that site Mike.Very interesting reading. Paricularly the spray foam insulation, especially with regards to rooves. The old part of my house which has a slate roof was installed without felting. As a consequence I'm forever clearing out dust and flies. Rather than removing the slates and redoing the roof what are you thoughts on the the service they offer where they do repairs to any loose slates etc and spray foam the inside?

IMO is there not going tobe a problem with ventilation/airflow?
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Postby Mike G » 09 Nov 2019, 13:13

Absolutely do not do that! It's a nightmare, for all sorts of reasons. Slates are hard enough to repair at the best of times, but with foam stuck to the underside it turns into a catastrophe. The fundamental issue, however, is ventilation/ air-flow, so I would be really worried about the battens and the tops of the rafters, which with felt and and air gap get a chance to dry out, but encapsulated in foam they'd just sit there in a permanent puddle. If I was going to spray foam, as I suggested in that post, I'd friction fit 50mm of Celotex first below the membrane, ensuring the proper air gaps, and then spray against that.

I'd be getting prices from a local builder for re-roofing, reclaiming as many of the slates as possible, but installing a breather membrane and new battens.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Blockwork)

Postby tabs » 09 Nov 2019, 13:20

Mike G wrote:I hadn't expected to be building the inner skin of the outer walls myself. I asked a number of brickies for a quote, only one turned up, and he wanted an absolute fortune........so here I am again, doing it myself. As the profiles had worked so well in building the chimney, I spent a while setting up corner posts all properly marked out with levels, so that I was just running in to string lines without having to build up any corners:

Note the plastic DPM pinned up out of the way, and the course of bricks which I always include at the bottom of blockwork to enable any adjustment to levels to happen easily. The first 3 courses of blocks are lightweight aerated insulating blocks (Celcon's):

This shows the top of the second course of blocks, with the DPC bedded in place, the insulation fully filling the 100mm cavity, and the ties bent up out of the way. They were straightened out immediately after the photo to be set in this mortar course:

That's 2 walls done to top of plinth, where the detail changes (different blocks, different ties, and different insulation):

At the junction with the house there is about an 8 or 9 inch gap to allow me to demolish & rebuild the plinth of the old cottage, and to dig out a foundation. I thought I would "tooth" the blockwork, to make it easier to join up later when the old part is finished. This half-block is on a couple of dabs of mortar and has an empty perp, so that removing it later will be easy. I'll repeat this detail at alternate course all the way up:

I made a start on another wall:

Nice light evenings mean that finishing at 7.45pm isn't a chore.

What are the rules regarding what hieght the DPC should be? I just a bit confused/don't understand as your internal wall dpc looks to be 2 blocks above floor? Is the DPM involved in some way or have I missed something? Sorry for the basic questions!
tabs
New Shoots

Postby tabs » 09 Nov 2019, 13:34

Mike G wrote:Back to blockwork.

You may remember that I had reached plinth height with the aerated, lightweight blocks, with mineral wool insulation in the cavity. That is the change-over point to dense heavyweight blocks and Celotex insulation. When I say heavy, these blocks are 1900 kg/ cubic metre, or 1.9 times as dense as water. They're heavy!!

There was quite a bit of fiddling about at the change-over. Swapping to the new timber to masonry wall ties. Here's how not to do it:

They should be bedded into the mortar, rather than the other way around, so that they are fully surrounded by mortar. This raises them up a bit so that the screw gets a proper hold into the sole plate. Unfortunately, I haven't a photo of one done properly.

The first course of Celotex has to be 450mm wide, the depth of 2 blocks, because that is how far apart the walls ties are vertically. They also have to be cut around the straps which hold the timber frame down onto the masonry, otherwise the Celotex fouled the blocks. The Celotex is cut slightly undersize and foamed all round:

Then it is just a question of laying blocks:

This shows the C.10mm gap between the window surround and the back of the blocks. This will be foamed up later:

Are the ties ,for the timber frame to masonary wall,ones that are made for the job and can be bought or are they something else you have found that can just be used for the job?
tabs
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 09 Nov 2019, 15:26

tabs wrote:.....What are the rules regarding what hieght the DPC should be? I just a bit confused/don't understand as your internal wall dpc looks to be 2 blocks above floor? Is the DPM involved in some way or have I missed something? Sorry for the basic questions!

The only place where there is an absolute rule is in the external skin, where it must be a minimum of 150mm above finished ground level. On the inner skin, it can be pretty much anywhere, so long as it laps with the DPM, and there isn't a path for water to get in to anything which should be protected. If you think of the wall above the DPC as protected, and the wall below as unprotected, then obviously you want as much wall as possible protected and therefore dry, so the incentive is to keep the DPC low.

The wall ties are standard (timber frame to masonry).

Funnily enough, we're decorating that wall at this very moment (by we, I mean my wife).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (fireplace)

Postby Mike G » 18 Dec 2019, 21:51

Attention has turned to the lounge, which has been something of a neglected corner of the house. We chose a carpet, and that rather forced our hand about the hearth (obviously we need the hearth in place before the carpet is fitted, as it needs fitting around it). So, obviously, I needed to buy a snooker table.

Ebay came up trumps, and for £60 I got a nice slate and mahogany table, three quarter sized apparently:

It was heavy as hell. It was all I could to drag it back this far out of the van to start taking it to bits:

A batten to guide the angle grinder:

And before you knew it we'd got manageable bits, and a hearth-sized piece of premium slate. I had quotes of £500 plus just for the slate, so £60 seems like a bargain to me:

In addition, I got a whole lot of good big pieces of mahogany:

It was a bit thinner than I'd expected, at about 20mm, so I glued on (epoxy) some of the off-cuts on the visible edge to increase the thickness:

Then I cut out for the air-inlet pipe, and put it in place on a bed of mortar:

Tomorrow the carpet is fitted, and I'll fit the woodburner in place. Obviously I have since cleaned up the smeary mortar from the edges.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Dec 2019, 22:05

Very clever idea Mike.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 18 Dec 2019, 22:28

I can't claim credit for this. A friend of mine did his entire kitchen and utility room worktops from a couple of cheap old snooker tables. Slate isn't great for worktops, BTW, before anyone rushes out to corner the market in used snooker tables.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Dec 2019, 22:30

Yeah I wouldn’t have thought it was good for that use. Far too brittle and chippable.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 18 Dec 2019, 22:34

It's not so much that. It's the scratches. Drag a tea mug across the surface and you leave a whole series of scratches.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Dec 2019, 22:35

You can sand them out though!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 18 Dec 2019, 22:52

True.....but with granite you don't have to keep a drawer full of 180 grit sandpaper on hand. :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby StevieB » 19 Dec 2019, 10:58

That is a clever idea. Full size snooker tables come as 3 pieces of slate, so you were lucky to get one that size as a single piece I reckon. I have a pub pool table and that weighs a fair amount so I am not surprised you struggled with that one!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Dec 2019, 12:47

A couple of photos with the woodburner in position and the carpet fitted (albeit the air supply hasn't been connected, and the flue hasn't even been bought):

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP