It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:02

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Big oak beam)

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Nov 2016, 16:29

Phil wrote:
Mike G wrote:

I haven't done anything since, as my back has gone again.

Mike, have you thought of wearing a brace (corset) for support?

I never go outside without mine!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2016, 16:38

Do you find the suspenders can get caught in your tools Malc? :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Nov 2016, 16:42

9fingers wrote:Do you find the suspenders can get caught in your tools Malc? :lol:

Bob

:lol:

You've got a smutty mind, Bob, and an old one at that!!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby kirkpoore1 » 20 Nov 2016, 19:19

Mike G wrote:Thanks Erich.

I haven't done anything since, as my back has gone again.

That sucks, Mike. I've had a few back issues and sometimes you can go from zero pain to lightning bolt with a quarter inch move in the wrong direction.

Good luck getting past it...

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 20 Nov 2016, 19:34

Are you seeing a physio Mike?

Hope this doesn't spoil your plans for Xmas.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 20 Nov 2016, 22:46

Andyp wrote:Are you seeing a physio Mike?

I saw one of the very best in the country a few years ago for the same problem. He has worked with many of the Olympic athletes, top professional sportsmen, and so on, and written numerous papers on the subject of back pain. He put me in hospital with an injudicious bit of treatment. I'll never see a physio or similar again for back pain.

Andyp wrote:Hope this doesn't spoil your plans for Xmas.

It amends the plans somewhat, but doesn't spoil them.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Nov 2016, 22:47

kirkpoore1 wrote: I've had a few back issues and sometimes you can go from zero pain to lightning bolt with a quarter inch move in the wrong direction.

Good luck getting past it...

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Yeah, I liken it to being shot....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 20 Nov 2016, 23:15

As a fellow back pain sufferer you have my sympathies. Mines utterly debilitating when it's bad and the only way to make it bareable is to pay to see a chiropractor. Hope you are able to carry on soon

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Nov 2016, 23:58

Do you know what the problem is Mike?

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2016, 08:50

TrimTheKing wrote:Do you know what the problem is Mike?

Mark

Yep, and I know what the cure is too. I've been pain-free for 5 years, and then suffered 2 complete breakdowns and endless sciatica in the last 5 weeks. I'm waiting for an appointment for another bout of RFD (the D= denervation, where some very minor nerves which are misfiring are killed off).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Nov 2016, 12:44

Ouch. I've got 2 lumbar vertebrae that pretty much no longer exist, between L5/S1 & S1/S2. Between 5-15% disc remaining in each, the rest burst and the inner jelly/gunk absorbed back into my body :shock:

Pain is constant but controlled by daily stretching and core strengthening work to avoid having to have surgery. Generally the pain is controllable and doesn't stop me playing football. Doctors orders were to keep doing it providing I can manage the pain because it will keep my core strong and also keep them from seizing together, until such point that the pain is too bad (hopefully not for another 20-40 years, at which point he can fuse them for me, but that's a last resort.

I feel your pain! Hope the nerve treatment works.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2016, 13:06

I am sorry to here of your Physio experiences Mike. I have always believed that strengthening the muscles around the back is best way to beat/cure back pain.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 21 Nov 2016, 13:11

Andyp wrote:I am sorry to here of your Physio experiences Mike. I have always believed that strengthening the muscles around the back is best way to beat/cure back pain.

And the core abdominals and also the gluteals.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby cadman_4 » 21 Nov 2016, 14:20

I feel I can butt in at this point, as mostly I'm just in awe of the workmanship.

I have over the past 5 years been a sciatica sufferer and have had plenty of physio manipulations and exercises. I have found that as well as looking after my back / core, we have replaced our coil sprung mattress with a foam one to have helped out with having lower levels of pain in the morning.

Just my two penneth
cadman_4
New Shoots

Name: John

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Nov 2016, 14:52

cadman_4 wrote:I feel I can butt in at this point, as mostly I'm just in awe of the workmanship.

I have over the past 5 years been a sciatica sufferer and have had plenty of physio manipulations and exercises. I have found that as well as looking after my back / core, we have replaced our coil sprung mattress with a foam one to have helped out with having lower levels of pain in the morning.

Just my two penneth

I replaced my old coil one with a foam one (bloody expensive foam one), binned it inside 2 months, agony!

Replaced that with an expensive pocket sprung hobby from John Lewis and been 100 times better. Mattresses are very much a personal thing I've found (again, just my opinion) and such an expensive thing to buy not being able to test drive them first. Very hard decision.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby cadman_4 » 21 Nov 2016, 15:44

TrimTheKing wrote:
cadman_4 wrote:I feel I can butt in at this point, as mostly I'm just in awe of the workmanship.

Just my two penneth

I replaced my old coil one with a foam one (bloody expensive foam one), binned it inside 2 months, agony!

Replaced that with an expensive pocket sprung hobby from John Lewis and been 100 times better. Mattresses are very much a personal thing I've found (again, just my opinion) and such an expensive thing to buy not being able to test drive them first. Very hard decision.

Cheers
Mark

So true however we did go to a certain shop on the high street that offer a 40 night sleep guarantee, so if you're not happy then you can get a refund. But the initial £2,000 for the mattress soon put us off

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cadman_4
New Shoots

Name: John

Postby Tusses » 21 Nov 2016, 15:49

I've had back problems for about 20 yers .. (it seems everyone has ! )
Physio worked best for me.

vertebrae manipulation .. mine stick together/get stiff .. so that helps a lot

Constantly be mindful of posture !

My dad has AS , and I have been tested positive for the gene , so I try and keep my back as supple as possible.

when it's bad, it takes me half an hour to get out of bed, and brings me to tears .. getting up for the loo in the night takes advanced planning !.. lasts a week or two ...
when it's good .. I get on quite normally , albeit carefully !

I shouldn't say this .. !!! .. but at the moment it's ok :-) :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2016, 18:51

Tusses wrote:........vertebrae manipulation .. mine stick together/get stiff .. so that helps a lot

Yep, that's what put me in hospital.

Tusses wrote:.......when it's bad, it takes me half an hour to get out of bed, and brings me to tears .. getting up for the loo in the night takes advanced planning !.. lasts a week or two ... .

Exact description of what I am going through at the moment, although I've been much better today.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 21 Nov 2016, 21:49

Glad to hear it's a bit better today Mike :)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Ins & UFH)

Postby Mike G » 30 Nov 2016, 21:50

After a number of false dawns, my back feels somewhat better and I have finally done a little work. Unfortunately, it's all been at floor level, which is not a great plan with a dodgy back.

You have no idea how much work is involved in getting an oversite as clean as this:

My task is to get the insulation and underfloor heating pipes down ready for screeding the floor. First job after the mega-tidy up is to put in the upstand pieces around the outside walls, and the soft foam cushioning strips around all the internal walls which allow a little expansion room for the screed (thus helping prevent cracking). I decided to try to get the top of the upstands level, and use them as a guide for setting the screed levels, to lots of fiddling about on hand and knees adjusting :

I knew the house was out of square. Now, so do you. That's probably 3" over 8 feet:

This is the before and after in the new part of the house where we had to leave the floor short to dig foundations under the old part. The foundations are covered with the black polythene:

Notice the dots on the surface of the insulation. This is where I have pushed the tip of my foam gun through the insulation to squirt foam into voids under the insulation, cause by a differential between foundation levels and slab levels. I also do this between all joints. The result is rock solid. The foam is cleaned of, then the joints all taped with a foil tape, which prevents the cut edges of insulating boards drawing moisture from the screed differentially, leading to increased likelihood of cracks:

Ready for the UFH pipes:

First job is to work out what you're doing. Second job is to lay out a series of clip strips, which have a self adhesive strip to hold them onto the Celotex, but they're also clipped down with U shaped barbed push-in plastic clips (the same ones which also hold the pipes):

My camera doesn't have a flash, and it gets dark very early these days, so forgive the quality. Here is the only photo which shows anything at all, this being the layout in the hall and dining room:

I'll take a better picture in the light tomorrow. This is where all the 3 new circuits terminate:

You can see the 3 working circuits on the right hand side of the manifold, and the 3 new ones for the old part of the house marked up and sitting roughly in position for the plumber to connect in due course. I laid about 180 metres of pipe at typically 200mm centres, although obviously things get congested adjacent to the manifold.

My back doesn't feel strong enough to tackle the screeding tomorrow, so I'll find something else to do, and hope the weather (and my back) is OK for the day after.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Nov 2016, 21:58

Well nice, Mike, and with a dodgy back too. Full of admiration! :text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Dec 2016, 01:50

Great progress Mike, particularly considering the circumstances.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby kirkpoore1 » 01 Dec 2016, 04:55

I've always wondered, when seeing these in-floor heating installations, what it the rated lifespan of the pipe/hose/whatever you call it? Installing something where you have to tear out concrete to find, let alone fix, a problem has always given me kind of a bad feeling. Maybe it's another result of growing up in earthquake country...

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 01 Dec 2016, 08:47

It's really sophisticated stuff, Kirk. It is triple wall, being plastic-aluminium-plastic, and has a lifetime manufacturer's warranty. I installed some in a house 25 years ago which has just had some alterations done, and I got to see some of the pipe: it looked identical inside and out to the new stuff I have just installed. Remember that this is a closed circuit, and the pipes are filled with corrosion inhibitors (as well as water). Here is the suppliers page on the product:

http://www.wundatrade.co.uk/floor-heating-pipe/346-16mm-pert-al-pert-pipe.html
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 01 Dec 2016, 11:56

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear the back has improved slightly fingers crossed that improvement continues.

Would you happily recommend the company (Wundertrade) and their products in your link? I'm going to start laying the limecrete floor in the front rooms straight after Christmas and I need to start ordering the UFH components.

Thanks

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP