It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:50

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door 2)

Postby Mike G » 25 Aug 2018, 11:45

It's about insulation, Rod. The porch is an unheated external space, and doesn't need to comply with any building regulations if the door is insulated. The insulated envelope of the house is the main house wall, where the door is going, not the porch, so this is where the compliant door must go.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door 3)

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2018, 20:22

Distractions, distractions. I can't seem get a clear run at this door. Amongst other things, I spent half an hour today trapped on my roof after kicking the ladder away accidentally. Anyway.......

To finish the inner frame I made a couple more bridle joints:

Then whilst the whole thing was together in a dry fit, I ran around the inside of the frame with a bearing guided cutter to create a rebate for some 6mm oak-faced ply, the secret to this door:

I squared up the corners:

The burning is because I was on my knees, and with the polished floor I couldn't get enough of a grip to move fast enough to keep the router moving at sufficient speed.

Having established the thickness, I now wanted to put in a couple of softwood cross members, so I chopped out four mortises (you people with magic joint-making machine just don't know the pleasure and skills you are missing out on):

Time to glue it all up. The only glue I've got at the moment has a 10 minute open time. Apart from that it's great glue, but 10 minutes, even for only 6 joints (I did the top bridle joints in a second phase), means you have to have absolutely everything ready to go:

I then cut out then glued and pinned in place the veneered ply:

I had planned to do a 3 board door, as per the drawings, but unfortunately, my friend with the large planer thicknesser was away, and with a door width of 835 I needed 3 boards of about 275 wide. My thicknesser maximum is 260. So, I had the choice of waiting for my mate to return, or changing the design. I was eager to get on with things, so I decided to do a 4 boarded door instead. This still worked OK with the boards I'd got, so I spent hours and hours ripping the timber to width, flattening a face, then thicknessing:

Whilst making shavings, I planed up 3 cover strips:

I then marked up the frame using the template:

.......and roughed off the waste with a jigsaw. Useless thing sometimes has a use... :)

Here are the boards cut slightly over-size. Note the 5mm gap between each one:

And finally for today, with the cover mouldings sitting roughly in place:

My original intention had been to do a shaped middle board like the loo door:

That idea had been dismissed even before the change to 4 boards, because it wouldn't have been possible to have a properly fitting draft seal with that shape.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Aug 2018, 20:26

Mmmm. Can smell that dust from here!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 27 Aug 2018, 10:33

[quote="Mike G"] Amongst other things, I spent half an hour today trapped on my roof after kicking the ladder away accidentally. Anyway.......

Really? Where are the photos :) Could have been scary I guess.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 27 Aug 2018, 20:52

That door is coming along nicely.
When trapped on the roof, a mobile phone is s really handy thing to have clipped to your belt.
Oh and if your going to dump the bags of saw dust, I will pop over and take them off your hands.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2018, 22:41

They're yours if you want them Dave (I need the bags back though).

Mobile phone? I've heard of such a thing.......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2018, 07:24

Andyp wrote:
Mike G wrote: Amongst other things, I spent half an hour today trapped on my roof after kicking the ladder away accidentally. Anyway.......

Really? Where are the photos :) Could have been scary I guess.

No photos. No evidence it happened. Nothing to see here folks. Move along, move along. Oh, and I got myself down safely, without a ladder, and without jumping.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door 4)

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2018, 08:05

I forgot to post this photo last time, showing the relief cuts to the back of the boards. These help prevent the board attempting to cup:

I insulated the frame with 25mm Celotex:

Then with the boards screwed in place from the other side of the frame, temporarily, I put the template in place and with a flush trim cutter I trimmed the 2 layers to their final shape:

Time to get on with the other side. This is all going to be half-laps. Once I had set out one of the long pieces and one of the cross pieces, it was just a question of lots of knife cuts, lots of plunge routing, and lots of cleaning up with a chisel:

Here is the more complex top piece (template first):

The shape is another one of those nasty tapers-to-zero bits, but the difference this time is that it is a glued joint in seasoned timber, so I have every chance of success. I wont trim the last bit until after the joint is made. This the the knife cut establishing the visible line of the joint:

My photos are getting worse. I have no idea why. On the short simple joints I would do the entire cut with a chisel, but for this long diagonal cut I ran the tenon saw along the knife line:

Then plunged the router repeatedly:

Then cleaned up with a chisel:

Image The piece is oversized, so the fluffy edges are irrelevant.

Finally, it was time to glue up the outer frame:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stu » 29 Aug 2018, 18:12

Why don't you just use the router to do the joinery rather than the knife/chisel/saw/router/chisel combo?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2018, 19:56

I do where it is appropriate, stu, as you'll see today. But it simply isn't as accurate.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door 5)

Postby Coley » 29 Aug 2018, 20:11

Did you do the half laps on the cross pieces while the board was still wide, then cut them back into narrow strips afterwards ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2018, 20:14

The frame had been glued up overnight. First job today was to clean up , and properly shape the top. Of major concern were the tapering-to-zero corners of the top curve. I cut away at these incredibly carefully, until I was within sanding distance for a small drum sander, and then finally the trimming router following the template:

All the half laps on the frame were already in place:

So now it was a question of filling in the gaps. The horizontals would be in a variety of lengths, using up scraps:

To avoid having too big a gap open up if the timber shrinks, I put a shoulder on each horizontal joint. This made for rather a tiresome chore of endless marking and cutting of tiny bits, but I hope it will be worthwhile:

Eventually it all went together:

My wife came out to check on progress, so I lined both sides up for her to see what we would be getting:

Having glued up the "portcullis", as it was immediately dubbed (I screwed it temporarily too, as I didn't want to wait), I moved on to chamfering. I made up some corner blocks, screwed temporarily in place under the frame, then ran around each frame with the router:

That took a while! I had to flip the door for each frame, unscrew each block, reposition, screw in place, flip back over, rout, then repeat 14 times......

Getting there:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Aug 2018, 20:32

Oh, I do like the chamfering!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 29 Aug 2018, 20:44

Cunning Scheme Mike!

I must remember that one for the future.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Aug 2018, 21:05

Nice Mike.

You'll be squaring off those chamfers I trust...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2018, 21:25

The chamfers will be cleaned up tomorrow with a chisel. They won't have a fancy stop, but they'll have a flat 45 degree stop. It won't look like they were routed by the time I've finished.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stu » 29 Aug 2018, 21:34

Mike G wrote:I do where it is appropriate, stu, as you'll see today. But it simply isn't as accurate.
Pretty sure you can achieve the same results with a router Mike with a few jigs and tricks, each to their own though. Enjoying seeing it coming together

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby StevieB » 29 Aug 2018, 22:43

:eusa-clap: Oh I like that Sir - nicely done. I also understand now why the oak faced ply is in the middle of the door, I think I was being a bit dim before this point!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Aug 2018, 07:53

Thanks Andy. I should have posted the sectional drawing so that people could see what I was up to, I guess
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 30 Aug 2018, 08:41

stu wrote:
Mike G wrote:I do where it is appropriate, stu, as you'll see today. But it simply isn't as accurate.
Pretty sure you can achieve the same results with a router Mike with a few jigs and tricks, each to their own though. Enjoying seeing it coming together

I completely agree Stu. Regarding a router 'simply isn't as accurate' I've never heard such nonsense in my life ! - seriously I haven't. A much better response would have been 'I feel more comfortable doing it this way'
From looking at the way he uses the router I'd just say he hasn't got the confidence with it- absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, just seems a bit odd he'd blame the router for not be accurate enough, just to justify his method

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Aug 2018, 09:57

Coley wrote:
stu wrote:

I completely agree Stu. Regarding a router 'simply isn't as accurate' I've never heard such nonsense in my life ! - seriously I haven't. A much better response would have been 'I feel more comfortable doing it this way'
From looking at the way he uses the router I'd just say he hasn't got the confidence with it- absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, just seems a bit odd he'd blame the router for not be accurate enough, just to justify his method

Let's keep this from getting personal please...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 30 Aug 2018, 15:14

Have you got some of those airbags to help lift it into position?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Aug 2018, 15:35

No, but I've got a box full of wedges, and a spacer which is exactly the height I need to clear the threshold strip. Because I made this from a template, and the template sat on the spacer, the door should just sit on the spacer and be in the right place. We'll find out tomorrow!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door now hung

Postby Mike G » 31 Aug 2018, 20:43

The first job the following day was to clean up all of the routed chamfers. This was three and a half hours with a 1" chisel......sharpened twice. There is lots of delicate paring, and some scraping, and it changed the chamfers from this:

.......to this:

I put a couple of locating pins into the main frame of the door, sticking up into the "portcullis" frame so as to locate it in exactly the right place:

This was to enable me to apply the first coat of ()water-based) lacquer, and then remove the frame. My thinking here was that the glue-up was going to be very long and complex, and I couldn't afford to under-glue as there is no mechanical fixing at all holding the "portcullis" face onto the door. Therefore there would be squeeze-out, and without pre-finishing like this, cleaning up would be a pig of a job:

Then, a change of venue. I took everything in to the house, and set up in the porch. For those just coming to this for the first time this is because a 3 inch oak door would be a nightmare to try to move from the workshop to the house. I did the boarded side first, because they are fixed with screws through the door from the other side. The outer boards are glued and screwed to their outer edge, so that there is a solid edge to the door. The inner 2 boards are glued and screwed in the middle, and there are movement gaps of 7 to 9mm between each of the boards:

The last photo shows the cover strip drilled for later plugging, and about to be screwed over the gap between two boards. There is a big hole where the screw passes through the board, again, to allow for movement. This is on the outer (unstable) side of the door, so no chances with movement even though it is inside the enclosed porch.

Then, (following day) deep breath............another curse that I only have a 10 minute glue available.......flip the door over, and begin a glue-up against the clock:

You can imagine why there were no photos during the process. The clean-up of squeeze out took ages, with lots of changes of (warm) water, taking the cauls (is that the right word?) off in sequence to give access all around the panels, and finally a bit of careful scraping as the glue got slightly ahead of me. It's the worst clean up I can remember, with miles of edges to deal with. Worse than a bookcase.

I then toddled off to buy some hinges and handles whilst the glue dried, then spent the afternoon sorting everything out and hanging the door. The shavings on the floor are from angling the leading edge, which the trimming cutter obviously left square. I had to offer it up twice and adjust, but it was so, so close to right first time. The door is so thick that it stood up easily on edge, unsupported:

Finally, in place:

I can't tell you how pleased I am with this. It's the very best bit of the whole 4 year project in my view. I love it!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Inner front door now hung

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Aug 2018, 21:20

Tasty. Very, very tasty! Lovely job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP