It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:45

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Rooflight)

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Oct 2020, 22:02

Very impressive work indeed Mike on those joints. Difficult to mark out and cut. Reminds me of some complex Japanese joint work. Impressive and neat.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2020, 08:39

Thanks Adrian. Yes, it was certainly a head-scratcher. I did think of doing all the joinery before shaping the timber, and that may well have been better in hindsight. But even that would have had its complications.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2020, 20:49

I've been somewhat distracted by my conversion to grand-father-hood this weekend, so haven't achieved an awful lot. Nonetheless, there is some progress to report. Firstly, the inner shelf:

Half-lapped masons mitres seemed to me to be the only way to make any sort of proper joint between the members, given that they all had to slot into grooves. Obviously full mitres simply couldn't work geometrically. Whilst the glue was drying on that, I drilled drainage/ air-circulation holes which would take any leaks that got in around the glazing back out to the outside:

I then did a beautiful job of chopping in the rather tasty SS cranked 3" ball-bearing hinges I'd bought for the job:

.....only to discover that it is impossible to hinge the casement on the side, as it fouls the projecting cill. Not just slightly, either. I would have needed to cut about an inch of material away to form a clearance. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

The only place such hinges could possible work was on the top end, where the upstand was at its highest:

This left me with some repair work to do:

Next came something of a quirky thing. Under the internal projecting shelf was to be fitted a decorative skirt, to seal off the junction with the plaster. However, I have an additional task in mind for it, which is to hold a secondary glazing panel in winter. Because I wanted to make that secondary panel, I needed to know the size of the opening inside that skirt, so I decided to make it and attach it prior to fitting. Firstly, this was risky, because the fit had to be tight enough not to be horrible decoratively, but loose enough that I could just drop the entire rooflight into place as one complete unit without fouling on the existing plaster.

I took some pinch sticks in and very carefully gathered my measurements. Obviously, this skirt would need to be properly fixed at the corners, so some quick 'n dirty dovetails (they'd never be seen). No real marking out for the tails:

I took the dry-fitted skirt up to the opening and tried it, noting the diagonals so that I could replicate those at glue-up.

Those who think of dovetails as high end stuff should take a look at those photos. Probably quarter of an hour of work and I'd got 4 rock solid corners. Low skill/ high strength and accurate. I think the only competitor would have been some 2" nails, but into 15mm timber that's something of a gamble.

I glued the apron in place:

On to the removable secondary glazing. I ripped and planed some more Douglas Fir. From memory the section was about 45x30mm. After cutting to length and running a big rebate around the pieces, I then cut back the ends in preparation for my corner joinery:

I was pretty pleased with them:

Everything on exposed painted joinery gets rounded over. This is to ensure that the paint remains thick enough at the arris, otherwise this is a weak spot where failure will eventually start:

I'd contemplated many different ways of holding the secondary glazing in place, and in the end settled for making my own mechanism. I started with a scrap of aluminium (I'd guess at about 2mm thick, maybe 2.5):

The nice thing with working aluminium as compared to steel is that ordinary woodworking tools can be used. I swapped to an old blade on the bandsaw, and an old belt on the belt sander, and started work:

Everybody has a spring collection, don't they:

It's hard to find 4 the same in mine, so I was a bit limited. I came up with these:

With a scrap of straightened fencing wire I mocked this up on an off-cut:

Then chopped away the relevant parts of the sides of the frame, before fitting the mechanism:

That's repeated on the other side, and now I'll be able to just push the window up into place and it will click into position over 4 screws. Pushing the lever will release a side at a time when I want to remove it.

All I had time left for was a splash of thinned Bedec MSP as a primer/ undercoat:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Nov 2020, 21:30

Congratulations. Hope you can get to see your grandchild. I've only been able to see min once since she was born in April.

Nice woodwork.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Lons » 02 Nov 2020, 22:31

Congratulations on becoming a granddad Mike, that explains the cock ups. :eusa-whistle: You'll definitely need to get a move on as it won't be long before the list of grandchild work starts building up.

BTW my spring collection is bigger than yours. :eusa-dance:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 02 Nov 2020, 22:33

Thanks Bob. And those were only the ones I tipped out. There are a few more where they came from, but mainly big ones.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 03 Nov 2020, 07:54

Looks great Mike and congratulations on the new addition to your family.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Nov 2020, 08:16

Lovely work as always Mike, and congratulations, you just beat me to it, my first arrives in two weeks! Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Nov 2020, 09:15

Nice one on being a granddad; mine have yet to produce but we live in hope :eusa-pray:

Agree about Douglas Fir; it's lovely stuff to plane and is much superior to yer bog standard pine (although that can be good as well if you get hold of decent stuff). I recently finished a large picture frame in DF with Bog Oak splines and finished with a couple of coats of satin Osmo - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Nov 2020, 10:02

Great WIP as ever, Mike. Do you ever make a bad joint ? :mrgreen:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 03 Nov 2020, 10:09

As has been said above :text-+1: .

All you have to do now is knock this up before they get home :P

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARCMAQ

:text-bravo:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 03 Nov 2020, 13:29

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Without so much as a buy-your-leave I get my status transformed from father to old git.... :lol:

I've made the odd dodgy joint, Roger, but you've got to remember who gets to choose the photos you see!! :) Actually, all of these were decent joints, although I did have to pare one of the dovetails, which always annoys me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 06 Nov 2020, 01:34

Very nice making, there Mike. I will try to work up to your skill level. :lol:
Congrats on the grandbaby, perhaps you will catch up too me, I have 9. :o
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Nov 2020, 07:52

fiveeyes wrote:...... Congrats on the grandbaby, perhaps you will catch up too me, I have 9. :o

No chance! I've two daughters, both in their 30s. Three or 4 grandkids looks like the maximum possible.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 06 Nov 2020, 12:42

Mike G wrote:No chance! I've two daughters, both in their 30s. Three or 4 grandkids looks like the maximum possible.

Better start saving up Mike, they get expensive though nowhere near as expensive as the sprogs who produced them.
Ours is delightful but will be the only one by the look of it. :cry:

Welcome to the old git club btw. :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 06 Nov 2020, 14:58

I have donated DNA to three...all.now near, or at, thirty...only thing they've collectively brought forward for ancient-parent-spoiling is a lurcher... :(

I live in hope, Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerM » 06 Nov 2020, 15:01

Welcome to "old git-dom" Mike! :eusa-clap: We have two - one of each. We love them to bits, but OMG - the noise!! I remember Michael Bentine writing about 30 years ago that the most magical 4 words in the world are "the grandchildren are coming", very closely followed by "the grandchildren are leaving"!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Rod » 06 Nov 2020, 19:35

Two daughters, 5 Grandchildren aged 6 to 27 and one Great Grandson with another due in January.
We all live in the same village so (used ) to see them very frequently.
We still have lots of toys going back several generations and safety devices like socket plugs, door stops etc. Once any toddler is due we quickly remove any valuable items within their reach. So far over 27yrs, only the tusk of a Marble elephant has been damaged.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 Nov 2020, 20:26

Great work Mike. We've all done similar things with hinges. :oops:

My spring collection is a bit pathetic and most of it is stored under very hard to short machines and benches.

I like that clamping jig idea.

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 07 Nov 2020, 06:31

Congrats Mike! Grandpa and in our case Oupa.

G-S just turned 3 and G-D turns 1 in December.

Go for the first one, should be a doddle.

We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby mjdewet » 08 Nov 2020, 11:45

Congratulations Mike!

One thing Hanlie & myself decided on 14 years ago when we became grandparents was not to be grumpy old farts...

The 2 grandkids now look me square in the eye at 1.84m (or for some older folk: 6ft 2in), and are delightful dwellers of the mud island's county of Hertfordshire.
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2020, 14:27

Thanks guys.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Nov 2020, 21:06

I've started a new thread for a built in TV cabinet, which you can find by clicking the link below:

http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4934
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Rooflight finished)

Postby Mike G » 20 Nov 2020, 08:59

The double glazed units arrived, so I have finally finished and fitted the rooflight. A couple of weeks ago, though, I fitted the hardware and the seals:

I taped the seals down here and there where they weren't lying well, so that they could get squished into the proper shape.

I made the little cover strips for both the outside window and the inner secondary glazing. I ran very tight on douglas fir, so did a scarf or two for one of the inside cover beads:

You'd never know, especially when it's painted. It will be entirely inside, and under no strain:

And here it is glazed and in situ:

The biggest job was sorting out the rubber over the top surface of the upstand. Internally, here is the outer window shut, but without the inner window in place:

Note the 4 dome headed screws. The inner unit just pushes up and clicks over them into place:

Yes, I've got some minor plastering and decorating to do in the opening. To say it has just had a sheet of un-covered OSB over the top and some insulation pushed up inside, for four years, I don't think it's in too bad a state. There are now three seals and 2 double glazed units between us and the weather. It should be a bit of an improvement.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Rooflight finished)

Postby wallace » 20 Nov 2020, 09:22

Lovely work as usual Mike. On the subject of windows, I noticed some loose plaster whilst redoing my bathroom so poked it. Only to find someone had installed the windows with news paper and plastered over it. Northern echo from 1984 :shock: the worst thing is I had the windows replaced with double glazed 15 years ago and the installers never said anything. It would of been clearly visible when pulling the old frames out.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP