It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:45

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (study)

Postby DaveL » 23 Mar 2017, 16:21

That's good progress Mike, glad to see rooms coming together. I have used browning, it goes on relatively easy but could never get a good surface with finnish.
When I helped my Dad built a room on the bungalow we lived in until I was 20, plastering was one of the two things he would not try to do himself, the other was the hot tar felting on the flat roof, so well done to you.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2017, 16:37

That's the point of the bonding, Dave..........to NOT get a good finish. I want it to look rough and ready.

When the plasterer did the new part of my house, I watched him, and talked to him about what he was doing. The actual skills (knocking up the mix, handling a hawk and float, smoothing the surface, and so on) aren't difficult. What you need to know is the general approach, the consistency of the mix, at what stage of drying you start flattening it again, how to get the last of the tool marks out, how to finish around the edges, and so on, and honestly once you've watched a pro do it, it isn't that hard.........in a manageable area. Tackling a whole ceiling in a big room would be too risky. I'd get a plasterer in to do that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 23 Mar 2017, 17:20

Looking great Mike, seriously impressive
I bought one of the plasterboard lifters for the farm. It made it breeze to board out, I won't be going back to using dead men any time soon. I used a graco spray plastering rig and then trowelled it off, I'm really pleased with how it came out.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2017, 17:53

MJ80 wrote:.......I bought one of the plasterboard lifters for the farm. It made it breeze to board out......

I contemplated borrowing one, but there are only two whole boards in the room, so it wasn't worth the effort.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 23 Mar 2017, 18:06

I had never even though of using one and previously I had done quite a few ceilings, though usually it was working with someone else.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2017, 18:20

MJ80 wrote:I had never even though of using one and previously I had done quite a few ceilings, though usually it was working with someone else.

It's an entirely different job with 2 people. Bit of a doddle, actually, particularly if you are roughly the same height.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Mar 2017, 18:39

I borrowed one from a friend when I did my shed build for installing the ceiling OSB.
He's since sold it for very much what he paid for it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 24 Mar 2017, 04:18

Rod wrote:I borrowed one from a friend when I did my shed build for installing the ceiling OSB.
He's since sold it for very much what he paid for it.

Rod

When i built my shop, i bought a used lift. After using it and having it sit around for a couple months, i sold it for what i paid.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 30 Mar 2017, 19:50

This is what happens if you apply a mist coat of paint too thickly on fresh plaster:

I simply didn't water that bit down enough.

If only it had peeled off uniformly over the whole section of the ceiling, but no. More like a nasty skin disease, it came off in blotches here and there, as I was applying the first full coat. The roller pulled it off. Cue an awful lot of muttering under my breath, and then scraping, sanding, trying again, more blotches coming off......and so on. It took 3 days to sort the thing out. The rest of the ceiling and the walls were all 100%:

The seagrass we were planning on putting on the floor is looking too pricey, but apart from that, all I have to do to finish the room is put on the sockets and light switch, and do the window boards and a little surround detail. Depending on the carpet we could be using the room by next weekend. :)

Just as a reminder, this is that room a few months ago:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Mar 2017, 07:30

Pity about the paint.

The room looks good, nice to see the before and after pics.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 31 Mar 2017, 08:10

Can't imagine why it took you so long ;) :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Mar 2017, 08:18

Looks great Mike. I love the oak on show through the plaster, just my style.

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2017, 09:00

Thanks Mark.

Andy....... :lol: ......If only I didn't have to earn a living now and then.......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 31 Mar 2017, 09:16

Oh I fully understand Mike. Those before and after shots really brings home ho much you have achieved and for the most part single handedly.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Mar 2017, 12:48

Outstanding!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby the bear » 31 Mar 2017, 15:24

Awesome
Are you having skirting boards? I cannot ever decide whether they look right or wrong in buildings like this and barn conversion type buildings

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2017, 16:24

No, we're not. There were none in the old place, so none are going back, unless there is some issue I can't get over another way (there's a dodgy bit of lath and plaster in one of the bedrooms that might fall into this category).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Karookop » 31 Mar 2017, 20:47

Andyp wrote:Oh I fully understand Mike. Those before and after shots really brings home ho much you have achieved and for the most part single handedly.

Amazing the amount of work you have done to perfection Mike! I stand in awe and salute you! :eusa-clap:
Regards from SA.
Karookop
Seedling

Name: Carel Kriek

Postby Mike G » 01 Apr 2017, 07:07

Hi Carel, nice to hear from you.

Thanks very much.........I plod on.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (garden shed)

Postby Mike G » 01 Apr 2017, 17:30

I spent a day or two this week finishing off the garden shed I had part built some while back. Firstly, there was lots of painting:

A mist coat to both sides and edges, then a second coat (full strength this time), to over 100 metres of boards. I use a mini roller (4", I think).

I really like the corner detail I've developed, with 2 pieces of 25mm timbers joined together, showing 65mm on the larger face:

The above images also show the wedges and insect mesh in place, ready for the first boards:

Note the 4x1 under the roof overhang on the gable end. This is to take a 45x45 timber which will form the edge to board to, and then a pair of barge boards will go over the whole lot. I won't be doing this until I put the rubber on the roof, and I won't be doing that until I move the little extension over from its temporary resting place. Anyway, finished for now, with a final coat of Bedec Barn Paint over everything, covering all the nail heads:

Whaddya mean, I need a new door?!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2017, 20:44

Here's an odd little job.

This little extension slab is to the side of the newly built shed. I completed the brickwork yesterday:

I also did the bricks around this extension to the side of my workshop:

Here is a wonky old lean-to thing resting against the old garden shed:

It used to be the woodstore, and was the first thing I took down when demolishing the lean-to extension to the rear of the old cottage 2 and a half years ago.

I just stood it in the garden until it had a permanent new home, and its time has now arrived. Emptying out the junk took a while, then I braced it temporarily and just rolled it over end-over-end:

Then I popped it on a sack barrow and moved it closer to its new home, and lay it down for the preparatory work:

To get it out of its former position I had butchered the sole plate, as you can see above. I now had to make this good, as well as making it the correct height, and put in a missing corner post. First off was cutting the studs to length. The nearest ones are cut:

Then I made a new pair of sole plates, with half laps at the corners:

That last photo shows the new stud at the top. The shed originally sat next to a chimney, and so had a corner missing.

DPC stapled in place:

Finally, with the help of a friend, I popped it in place:

The missing boarding will have to wait for the demolition of the old shed, which will give me plenty of shiplap to re-do that side. in the meantime, I'll fix in a temporary bit of something or other to keep the weather out. With a couple of shelves it will be a bucket and flower pot store. It's amazing how many of each we have. Garden netting and other odds and ends will go there too. Now that it is in place I can roof the entire shed-and-extension with rubber (left-over pond-liner.........it's EPDM too, and I ordered a bit extra to cover my needs for this roof).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2017, 21:03

Some gratuitous garden shots, starting looking north from the bedroom window, and working around clockwise. What you have to remember is that this garden is only in its third year. There was absolutely nothing here when we moved in other than chest high grass:

Sorry, the evening sun rather spoils the photos. Carrying on clockwise:

I've now moved to the south eastern corner of the site, in the new bit of land we bought from the farmer last year. Looking back towards the "old" garden:

Image,

then swinging around to the veggie patch:

Just inside the fence you can just see the newly planted hedge, and you can see that the fruit cage (sans cage) and two out of the three veggie beds are done (sort of) and in use. Peas, beans onions, leeks and so on in the near one, potatoes in the far one. We can't do the third one because 20 tons of horse manure is in the way!

Finally, I've moved to across the road. First looking back at the new strip of land (with the house off the left of the photo), with the rubble heap which is under the garage location, then a soil heap and the manure. The other shot is of the front garden. Or, at least, where the front garden will be:

Last edited by Mike G on 09 Apr 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Apr 2017, 21:05

Upcycling and recycling! Love it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (shed extension and garden

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Apr 2017, 21:22

Wow Mike, so many projects on the go, how you juggle them along with your work! Is that a foundation for a greenhouse starting? I must of snoozed and missed it!

Looks a lovely spot, like the shrubs and things you've planted around the workshop, we need to do this around the workshop, really softens the corners up nicely. Do you have anything growing against or climbing up the cladding? or is this a bad idea in terms of keeping the boards from getting soggy and rotting?

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (shed extension and garden

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2017, 21:28

Hi Jim.

There's a bit of a hiatus on the house whilst I await the delivery of the replacement oak, so a few jobs which have hung around outside now become a priority. Who know, there might even be some slates on my workshop roof by week's end.

We have a couple of honeysuckle trained on wires up the end of my workshop, and I am completely comfortable with that. Each to their own on ivy, but I wouldn't start it up any of my buildings. Clematis is fine up a trellis on a building.

I think I started a separate thread on the greenhouse/ potting shed that you refer to, next to the veggie patch. There won't be much progress on that for a while, but I did use up some left over mortar yesterday, laying a dozen bricks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP