It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:43

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch roof structure)

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Aug 2017, 00:48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 29 Aug 2017, 19:41

Ah ha, I see what you've done now - very good Sir! :eusa-clap: 8-)

I wasn't intending on my question to fall into the 'astute' bracket. I started out as a chippy and my main passion was cut roofs - but that was 25 years ago and I had to give it up due to bad knees after a motorbike accident. Such a shame because I used to love it. I wouldn't have the energy to do it now anyway.

I know your porch is only serving a cottage Mike, but nonetheless, she's full of presence and delight, an aura of protection and an 'ahhhh' if I know you. This is a porch of substance! She's what an oak cottage porch should look like, displaying great craftsmanship, care, love, and a confidence to share for a boundless future of centuries to come. Just lovely. 8-)

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2017, 20:02

Another forum I belong to has a "Nominate" button for the highest quality writing. If this forum had the same, I'd be nominating that post of yours Paul.

And thank you so much. It means a lot.............
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch roof 2: watertight)

Postby Mike G » 29 Aug 2017, 21:27

Sprockets!

I had ordered timber especially for the sprockets, but with so many off-cuts lying around, I thought I would use those instead. Starting by measuring the off-cuts, I then moved on to the sprocket design, making them fit to what I had. It meant making them a couple of inches shorter (up the roof) than I might have done otherwise, but still, I was happy with the shape. I made a quick MDF template, and started marking out:

The into the workshop, where I cut them out mainly on the bandsaw, then cleaned everything up on the planer, and with my pneumatic drum sander, finishing off the edges with a spokeshave:

Then I screwed them onto the roof:

Before slipping in the eaves closer pieces, and screwing on the (softwood) tilting fillet:

With rain threatening, I rushed the membrane on, and started battening:

I eventually got both sides done, and spent the rest of the evening making 40-odd pegs from the old floorboards I took up a few weeks ago when I did the stairwell. I didn't even get a third done, although they're all roughed out, and the centres found.
Last edited by Mike G on 04 Sep 2017, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Aug 2017, 21:31

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Stargazer » 29 Aug 2017, 21:33

Another thank you from me, the blow by blow account is staggering, particular when you look back at some of the earliest posts. The conceptual design work, the implementation and the sheer energy are an inspiration. Thaknyou very much and please keep updating!

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 30 Aug 2017, 08:42

Thanks Ian. Glad you're enjoying it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Aug 2017, 08:52

I was rushing on a bit yesterday because rain was threatening, so took fewer photos than I might have otherwise. I was going to explain the odd rafter spacing.

You can see in this photo, just, that I have put a noggin across between the two rafters nearest the house, and added in a stub rafter:

This is because the rafter attached to the house will actually be buried in the depth of the render, so the exposed sprocket would not only be nearly lost in the render, but would be an awkward feature to make watertight and so on. Besides, I want to see it. So, if you like, the structural rafter is against the house, but the more decorative element, the sprocket, is 3 inches clear of the wall.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch-on-a-porch 1)

Postby Mike G » 02 Sep 2017, 20:16

I've had to draw for 2 or 3 days, and just got back into things yesterday afternoon. Wanting to carry on with oak work, I thought I'd tackle to little canopy of the porch door. I didn't start with the brace, despite what the photos suggest, but made the simple beam, with a tenon on the end and a mortise. You'll see a piccie in a minute, but first, this is me setting out the curve for the brace:

It's only just over 2" thick, so I was able to persuade my bandsaw to co-operate to cut out the curve:

The back curve was just set off the front with a mortise gauge, and cut on the bandsaw, then it was just a bit of hand-sawing and chiseling, and the braces was done. Here it is sitting next to the 4x4 beam:

Note that I let the end of the brace into the timber. I hate to see light through a join, and these timbers will shrink. Here is the letting in on the door post, for the bottom end of the brace:

Ready to be fitted:

These are purposefully tight joints, and it took a lot of whacking to get the brackets fully in place and seated on their shoulders:

Finally, I started the front rafters:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 02 Sep 2017, 21:27

Lovely work as ever - looked back at the drawing will this little canopy be open to see the rafters? How about in the porch? I'd want to leave as much exposed as possible if I could work oak that well!!!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Sep 2017, 21:50

The canopy will be entirely exposed. There won't be any "felt", so you'll see the underside of the tiles, and the battens, plus of course the rafters. The porch itself will show almost all of the oak on the inside, with the exception being the inside face of the two end rafters which will buried behind some plasterboard and plaster.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Sep 2017, 23:47

Have you got an interesting door knocker planned?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Sep 2017, 07:19

Will you applying finish to the oak, Mike? Or let it silver gracefully over time ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2017, 08:02

Rod wrote:Have you got an interesting door knocker planned?

Rod

I'm thinking of a bell inside in the house (not the porch), with a cable attached to a pull outside. But with a vaulted ceiling and low windows, routing the wire/ cable isn't easy. If I could hear a knocker through the inner front door I'm planning I'd be really disappointed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2017, 08:04

RogerS wrote:Will you applying finish to the oak, Mike? Or let it silver gracefully over time ?

I would like to limewash over the whole thing; render and frame. As decisions are taken collectively around here, this may not happen. ;) Otherwise, no, the oak will be left bare, unfinished.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch-on-a-porch 2)

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2017, 19:37

A quick re-cap. I made a pair of rafters, and did a bridle joint at the top:

The next job was to make the tie beam (if you can use the word beam for something which is only 900mm long). I tend not to make these straight:

Look at those peculiar tenons! Why would anyone make them at that sort of angle? Well, there are a couple of reasons. One, is that it makes the mortise easier, being orthodox, with right angles everywhere. The second will reveal itself as we go on:

There's your clue. These things will be a bit of decoration, and as they are tenoned into the rafters, the tenons (and mortises, obviously) have to be parallel to any others fixing to the same piece of timber, otherwise assembly is impossible:

Once the joints had been made on those funny little bits of timber I swung an arc from the point at which the rafter met the tie, and cut them to the curve. The mortises, BTW, were a pain in the neck to do being 3" deep but only just over an inch x 1-1/2". It's hard to work in the bottom when you can get no angle on the chisel.

Before packing up for the day I took a pattern from the rafters so as to be able to make the other 2 pairs, and then popped the truss up in place to see what it looked like:

It was a short day today, with a late start, then, as this build is considered performance art by most of the locals, endless conversations with passers-by. Most cyclists shout something encouraging as they go by, and a number stop for a chat. Cars do to, often with complete strangers curious as to what I am up to. One guy who stopped asked some knowledgeable questions, and then said he was a carpenter. He asked about the corner joints of the sole plate, and when I said it was a mitred bridle, he said that he'd never made one of those in his life. I imagine the carpenters who built this house originally would have made dozens before they'd finished their apprenticeships.

I can blame the most stupid cock-up in the most glaringly obvious place on the whole porch, on one such passer-by. I was listening to what he was saying as I was marking out peg hole, so wasn't really concentrating. I meant to have a vertical pair of pegs in the bridle joint at the top to the front rafter pair, but mis-read which piece was which, and ended up with them near horizontal. The "near" word is critical, too. They aren't horizontal, because the rafters aren't at 90 degrees, so they will either stay as a permanent reminder that I am a blundering incompetent buffoon, or I'll conjure up some piece of decorative something to plant over the top and hide them.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Sep 2017, 21:24

Stonkingly brilliant, Mike.

I've had two neighbour say "like your roof', and that's it.

Oh, and while I was up the ladder painting the soffit facia, the deaf Italian neighbour was talking loudly with her Italian friend, both in English, when the friend said loudly in my view and hearing, 'it's a looking a nice a next a door a now', as if I wasn't there!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2017, 22:45

Thanks Malcolm.

I forgot to add that I dropped my big chisel 3 times onto the concrete of the path today, and my 1" chisel once. Mashed the corners of them both, so, they both need re-grinding. I'd got the 1-1/2" one soooooo sharp, too. Disappointing. What with the peg cock-up, "bumbling incompetent clumsy buffoon" feels about right this evening, but I feel a bit better looking at the "after" photo.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Mike's extension & renovation (Porch-on-a-porch 2)

Postby Rod » 03 Sep 2017, 23:14

I don't think anybody else would notice but I suppose it will always irk you.
Can you mount a small carved plaque over the holes?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 07:43

Yep, something like Rod. Maybe a fake coat of arms or something!! :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Sep 2017, 08:31

Nah, just make a feature of it

porch.jpg
(1.73 MiB)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 08:45

:lol: :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Sep 2017, 10:36

Surely you could make them look horizontal with some clever shaping of the end of the pegs...

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 11:10

I've just checked. They're about 2mm out. I reckon I'll put up with that for while, as there are more important things to do. In a year or two, when everything else has been ticked off, I'll come up with a plan.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 04 Sep 2017, 13:14

can you re-drill them a bit bigger ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP