It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:08

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (bathroom cabinet finished

Postby Andyp » 18 May 2020, 07:22

The contrast between those tortoises and the speed at which you work is not lost on me.

Great result, timber like that ends up as kindling here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MattS » 18 May 2020, 14:25

Love it Mike, you do some fine work but I love the use of scrap and you can see that in the final piece. Really great.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 May 2020, 17:34

No question about the workmanship and I applaude the use of scrap but I just could not have those damaged bits on show. :D
If I had a woodburner, like Andy, they would be kindling after making something a bit smaller.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 18 May 2020, 19:50

I know Bob, I know...... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (garden wall)

Postby Mike G » 03 Jun 2020, 20:04

For most of the last 5 years the front garden has been a store area for building materials. It has been dug up a couple of times for services, and has been an overgrown mess for the last year or so. Sorting it out had been the number one priority for the spring, but unfortunately covid 19 put paid to that idea not only by shutting the builders merchants, but also by flattening us. Now that building materials are available again, it is finally time to tackle this eyesore.

We had originally planned to have a metal railing fence with a formal garden behind. It turns out that this is about the most expensive way of fencing known to man. I counted the reclaimed bricks I had left over and realised that I didn't have enough for the big brick and flint wall I'd planned to build across the back of the car parking space, but that there was enough to build a low wall at the front. I sketched up a few designs, and keen observation of cottage walls in the area on a few recent bike rides led us to the final design.

Anyway, it was time to get out the spade and the pick axe. I had to soak the ground (I mean absolutely flood it) overnight before it was diggable at all the following day as it was baked solid:

I'm afraid there is no "before" photo of the concrete path, but here is the "after":

That was 8 inches thick in parts!

I also had to kango up the concrete in the splay of the drive, because that's where the corner of the wall will be:

I received a delivery of "quarry waste", which is unsorted flint above 50mm diameter:

That should make a lovely wall.

Final job before mixing concrete is the placement of level pegs. I threw the levels off the plinth of the house, and transferred them around the site with a straight edge and level. The peg location was marked with a dash of out of date plaster on the edge of the trench, and then we were ready for concrete:

A few hours later it was all done. It was all completely straight forward:

I've much more concreting to do all around the site, hence the 7 tonnes of ballast:

After washing up at the end of the day:

Bricklayers would start laying bricks tomorrow, but I'll let it set for a day at least, and will tackle the front path and other tasks tomorrow. I've also got to try to find a space to lay out all the bricks and mortar boards in quite a constrained site.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jun 2020, 20:39

Looking good, Mike.

Just a thought about that splay, in my old job, the splay for a minor junction or access would be measured for the human eye at two metres back from the edge of roadway, not highway, at 1m high. If there was anything in that splay, then it was not deemed safe. We're talking x and y distances, which would be different in different speed limits. But I'm sure you know about that stuff.

foiextract20200504-16513-1musc35-5_1.png
(44.35 KiB)

foiextract20200504-16513-1musc35-6_1.jpg
(17.21 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 03 Jun 2020, 20:53

The driveway, and the splay, are moving over a couple of metres away from the house/ new wall. Further, the wall will only be 565mm high. I think we're OK! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jun 2020, 20:56

Thumbs up!

Splendid!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 13 Jun 2020, 19:48

I've made a little progress with the front wall. I started by building the least visible pier, so that I could get back into bricklaying practise without too much fear of scrutiny if it wasn't perfect. These are a slow old job because of the cuts:

I then did the bottom of the opposite corner so that I could work out the bond:

The thing you should bear in mind above everything else is that these are reclaimed handmade bricks, saved from the plinth and chimney of the old part of the house. I feel a huge sense of surprise and relief if I ever find two the same size. This wall is not going to be bricklaying perfection!

I plodded on:

Note the height of the right hand pier, which is one side of the gateway:

I'd drawn this two or three different ways, and that was the shortest of them. After a few days off waiting for the weather to relent, I'd changed my mind, popped the top courses off, and made it all three courses higher:

This is going to be the most prominent view. Firstly, unpointed:

Now note the difference pointing makes:

With the bulk of the brickwork done, I could start on the flint panels. I work to lines. Some people put boards down, but firstly I find that extremely wasteful of mortar, but more importantly, you can't see the face of the wall so you're working blind. I try to lay to rough courses, but the stone we can buy these days is nowhere near as regular and large as the stone the old walls around here are made of, so it doesn't always work out that way. Any, the start of the flint panels:

You basically work each face like you are laying bricks, and infill the spaces left in the middle with crocks (brick off-cuts) and smaller flints. It takes ages for the mortar to go off because flints are impervious and draw no moisture out of the mortar, so pointing is done late in the evening. That's when you get to see the cock-ups you've made!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (flint wall)

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jun 2020, 22:19

Nicely.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby mjdewet » 14 Jun 2020, 09:26

Mike,
Whenever I'm on 'your side' of the pond again, maybe I'd come and assist you.
I can be a good 'handlanger' by carrying on cups of coffee and pointing out cock-ups...

I even have a PWBOP21: Perfessional WheelBarrow Operating Permitted To One..
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Postby Mike G » 14 Jun 2020, 18:04

You'd be more than welcome, Thys. There's plenty more work to be found around here. There's just the small matter of Covid 19 and the lack of international flights......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Jul 2020, 18:26

Flint work is not quick, especially when you try to do it properly to a line in courses. This was my view for about 9 or 10 days:

You make two faces, and fill in the middle with unusable stones and with broken brick (more on that later). And mix up lots and lots of mortar. The pile of stone is in the background. Much of it was too small to be any use:

I stood astride the wall with mortar on one side and stone on the other, taking maybe 3 hours to do a course of flints the length of the panel between piers:

Now, back to the broken brick.... Flint is shiny and hard, and absorbs no moisture from the mortar at all. That means it can take 4, 5 or 6 hours for the mortar to be set enough to point if you just use flint and mortar. So, the trick is to use broken brick and brick dust as a pozzolan to help the mortar set more quickly. Look that up, because the discovery of the pozzolan effect was what led the Romans to invent concrete. So, if I needed the mortar to set quickly, perhaps so I wasn't pointing at 10 o'clock at night, or perhaps because I was on the top course and wanted to lay the brick on edge coping, and wanted that on a solid base, then I would use crushed brick as a pozzolan:

Anyway, for the best part of three weeks, when work and weather allowed, I've plodded on. It's been something of a performance art for the passers by, who all stop and chat and check on progress. But in the end, I got there:

I did a little cut-tile cap over the top of the piers:

Hopefully a bit of weather on this and it will look old very quickly. It looks a bit bright and shiny at the moment:

Note the pozzolan-making area in the foreground of the above photo.

My wife started digging the ground over inside, because the garden can now happen:

It doesn't show here, but the ground level on this side has got to come up by over a foot at the house:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jul 2020, 18:48

Wow. There I said it. But I mean 'nice'. :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 04 Jul 2020, 19:52

Now don't go getting giddy there, Malc. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Jul 2020, 07:38

Have you something planned for the top of the pillars either side of the path?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 05 Jul 2020, 07:57

Yes, but I don't want to close them off until I have bolted the gate posts in place. It will probably just be a brick on edge coping as per the rest of the wall, but I might just cast up a white concrete pier cap with a little cove detail and a gentle pyramid top.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby billybuntus » 05 Jul 2020, 19:35

Very nice Mike. Really fits in and frames the front of the house. And kudos for having a wife that digs the garden over! Looking forward to seeing it planted up. I bet it feels like a milestone has been reached 8-)
billybuntus
New Shoots

Name:

Postby the bear » 05 Jul 2020, 20:28

Looks great Mike. Got something similar planned for my garden using local Leith Hill stone rather than flint as the infill.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Jul 2020, 21:27

Thanks guys.

Leith Hill stone? I'll have to look that one up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 06 Jul 2020, 23:11

It’s a sandstone from the greensand ridge in Surrey which is where I live. I believe it’s a local name, correct name is bargate stone but everyone calls it leith hill stone. In walls usually random shapes with brick piers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bargate_stone

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Jul 2020, 07:48

Thanks. I'd not found anything looking up Leith HIll stone. That looks absolutely beautiful. It definitely needs a very pale mortar, not a grey cement mortar.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 07 Jul 2020, 16:18

Thanks for pointing up (sorry, no pun intended) the pozzolan effect Mike; reckon that could explain a few unexpected occasions when mortar suddenly 'went off' during restoration projects on an old house. It probably didn't help that the old mortar contained seashells (calcium rich) - the sand was, presumably, unwashed. House built circum 1903.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (front garden)

Postby Mike G » 08 Jul 2020, 19:56

Next on the agenda is the setting out of the formal front garden. Once I get the levels done and the edgings, that's me finished. Over then to the gardening expert. So, I bought some steel. I bought some new tips for my welder. I cut up the steel, and started welding:

Looks like a giant bear trap! That's the outer edge of the new paths sorted. Now for the inner edge, which is a whole lot more complicated. Firstly, I needed to form some quadrants with a radius of 300mm. I made a former and handle, at a radius of 290mm:

That produced a radius of around 540mm, so miles too big.

I reduced the former to 200mm, and tried again. After some advice, I also heated the steel in situ with a blow torch, and this time the results were pretty much exact:

I cut those pieces carefully in half:

I set out a frame on the workshop floor within which to make up the steelwork. I also made a corner piece to hold the quadrants in exactly the right position and radius:

I needed some help to put the big frames into the garden, but the little ones were a one-man job:

So, now you can see what I was trying to achieve. They're only plonked roughly into place, so I need to make up a big right angle in wood, the get everything properly located and whacked down into the soil to the correct level. Then digging. More digging. Lots more digging...........
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (front garden)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Jul 2020, 20:17

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP