It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:36

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch render 2)

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2017, 09:03

Thanks Bill.

I've done nothing but draw since then, and I'll be drawing for another few weeks at least. Once I get this backlog of work out of the way I'll be plastering the hall and dining room, then building the 2 front doors. It's these I've been looking forward to the most for some while now.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Karookop » 12 Dec 2017, 18:27

Having withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks now from not seeing more of the masterful craftsmanship.
Mike, I hope you get some well earned rest over the festive season, that your new roof will be tested by some good snow while sitting in one of the best planned and crafted houses I have seen in many years. :eusa-clap:
While you are having the cold season I am venturing out camping in our semi-desert Karoo to think about that ancient wooden house in the Northern hemisphere that has been given a new life for many (hundreds) of years to come!
Best wishes from SA!
Carel.
Karookop
Seedling

Name: Carel Kriek

Postby Mike G » 12 Dec 2017, 21:33

Whereabouts in the Karoo, Carel? I spent 6 months in Graaff Reinet, so I know the Karoo very well.

As a coincidence, I am hoping to start work again on the house tomorrow. I'll be doing some wiring and then plastering in the hall and dining room, then doing the stonework on the floor through the hall. The downstairs window cills are nearly ready for fitting, too.

Oh, and it's all covered in snow at the moment. This is our first snowfall in 4 years in the area.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Karookop » 13 Dec 2017, 09:06

Thanks Mike, next summer you can focus on your barbecue place!
Yes Graaf Reinett has beautiful architecture!
See picture for coordinates where we will be camping - (and simmering at 45 C some days!)
Regards.
Carel.
Attachments
Leeuwenboschfontein coordinates.GIF
(17.42 KiB)
Karookop
Seedling

Name: Carel Kriek

Postby Mike G » 13 Dec 2017, 10:08

Ah, right. I've not been there. That's way to the west of the area I know well.

Enjoy it.......camping in the velt feels like a nice idea as I sit looking at the melting snow.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Dining room & hall)

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2018, 20:37

I've been drawing, and I've had the flu. Flu is bad: don't get it.

I have managed a little work on the house. I wanted to get the dining room done so that we can empty the contents of our hired shipping container into that room, and get rid of the container. We also wanted the hall done such that we could walk through the house on a finished floor. So, here are a couple of almost "before" photos, which show the plasterboard going up in the dining room and hall. Unfortunately, I had the camera set to "Macro", so they're out of focus:

The plinth is plasterboard stuck double-thickness to the blocks, and then plastered with a rough undercoat plaster to mimic the typical rendered plinth look of old cottages:

It's quite a pain taping everything up. It was even more a pain when I used some old plaster accidentally, and it went off way too quickly.

After doing the plinth of the dining room and hall, I brought the stone flooring through the hall. I had to temporarily prop the stairs up out of the way to run the stone underneath:

The last photo shows a "well" around the temporary front door, simply because I don't want to be re-hanging this door an inch up just for the few weeks until it is replaced by the permanent door.

Focus moved to upstairs above the dining room ceiling for a while. This was so that nailing floorboards down happened before the ceiling got plastered, avoiding the danger of disturbing the plaster on what are pretty thin joists. So, here is the upstairs before work started, with a temporary board over a small area of joists:

This is a problem. The plumber had previously hacked out a big notch for the hot and cold supply pipes for the bathroom, through a narrow joist:

I decided to "sister" this joist:

......and the pipes will be re-routed later. Here is the progression of the floor:

Note the projecting bridging joist has been cut to length, and note the step. Here is the excess bridging joist in situ from below:

This is the tenon on the end of one of the joists, (and note the tapered peg I pulled out via the screw in the end):

This is one of the classic joints of English oak framing. The long projecting tenon is always bang in the middle of the depth of the bridging joist, on the "line of neutrality" (ie neither in tension nor compression. This means that the bridging joist is hardly weakened at all. However, to prevent twisting of the intermediate joists, the tenon is haunched. This removes as little timber as possible from the bridging joist, but still retains the full depth of the intermediate joists such that they can't twist. When I cut the end of the bridging joist away I had to clamp a piece of scrap to it to prevent it falling:

I could then build the floor up:

The chipboard forms the landing floor, and the old oak boards are going to be in the bathroom (and bedroom). Having done all that I could proceed with overboarding the dining room ceiling, and then plastering:

Another day for the plaster to dry and that room is ready for decorating.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jan 2018, 22:19

Wow!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 13 Jan 2018, 00:21

Nice to see you back at work Mike.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Jan 2018, 00:46

Bravo!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby fiveeyes » 13 Jan 2018, 02:25

Plastering..back breaking work! I am glad that I am not good at it, else someone would ask for my help. :o Do hope that you are feeling better. Flu has got the whole U.S. sick, it seems. BTW..Happy New Year

bill
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 13 Jan 2018, 06:17

Looking good Mike :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 13 Jan 2018, 08:53

I'd forgotten how much work was still left to be done. What is the situation elsewhere in the house?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 13 Jan 2018, 09:40

Yeah, there's quite a bit left to do. The dining room will be finished with a coat of paint. The hall is all but finished, with just a bit of work on the ceiling small amounts of plastering, and then decorating. At that point the electrickery can be connected in the old part of the house. The downstairs loo needs a complete job, but should only take 3 or 4 days. There is also the two front doors to do. The lounge needs some plasterboard on the ceiling (once the upstairs central heating pipes have been extended into the old part of the house), and then plastering and decorating. A couple of days work.

That leaves the biggest area of work: the bathroom and 4th bedroom, upstairs in the old part of the house. Floor, walls, ceilings, plumbing, plastering, fitting out.......lots to do. And finally a new staircase to make. One day I'll make internal doors, too.

Add it all up and there is probably 2 or 3 months of work left to do internally, but I am simply not going to get 2 or 3 solid months of work on it this year. I have too much drawing work to do, and we have a wedding to be ready for in July, so everything is going to happen in fits and starts.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Jan 2018, 09:44

fiveeyes wrote:Plastering..back breaking work! I am glad that I am not good at it, else someone would ask for my help. :o Do hope that you are feeling better. Flu has got the whole U.S. sick, it seems. BTW..Happy New Year

bill

Yeah, I can't say I enjoy plastering, particularly ceilings. However, it isn't all that difficult once you get into it. As I am finishing areas piece-meal, I don't have the option of getting a plasterer in to do a bit here and a bit there, so I am stuck doing it myself. I bought myself a nice new float which has helped somewhat.

This flu isn't pleasant. We both fell ill on Boxing day, and I'm still not right. By lunchtime I need a siesta most days, and by 9 ish I'm asleep in front of the TV, and still with almost no appetite. Don't get it if you can help it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Jan 2018, 10:36

Sorry about the flu - did you have the jab, not that it gives complete immunity?
I suppose locking yourselves away in isolation is the only way to prevent it.
My wife and I both caught a very nasty cold over Christmas and New Year, probably picked up from our Grandkids who were ill a week or two earlier.
I always worry when I go to our doctors for our repeat prescriptions when walking through the waiting room, wondering if I’ll pick some bug up.
My Consultant says siestas are beneficial but only for 30mins, longer than that you fall into a deeper sleep which makes waking up without feeling drowsy more difficult.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Jan 2018, 10:45

No, we didn't have the jab. Depending on the flu kicking around next year we might well have a jab.

The afternoon nap thing is out of my control. I fall asleep in my chair in front of the computer if I don't go to bed. But you're right........10 or 15 minutes is all you need to get through the afternoon refreshed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 13 Jan 2018, 15:11

The stone looks great, where is from? We are doing the same in our hall once I finish the bathroom.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Jan 2018, 16:51

MJ80 wrote:The stone looks great, where is from? We are doing the same in our hall once I finish the bathroom.

Here:

https://www.floorsofstone.com/our-tile-range/limestone-tiles/jaipur-brushed-limestone-tiles

The price fluctuates quite markedly. If you wait , you can get it for around £25/ sqm.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:53

Thanks Mike, I'll keep my eye on that, they have some nice looking stone.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2018, 19:14

Mike G wrote:..... I bought myself a nice new float which has helped somewhat.

You'll be disappointed, I think. Unless you're going to prep it properly before using it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Jan 2018, 20:10

To be fair, I bought it some months ago, and did a bit of work on it before using it to help float up the lime render. The extra length, and the flatness compared to my really old £1-bargain-bin previous float made the ceilings so much easier. Unfortunately, it was rather too large for most of the wall panels, so it was back to the old one for those.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2018, 22:37

Mike G wrote:.... and the flatness ....

That's the thing. Having been working in close contact with excellent plasterers these past few months I now realise that they prefer a 'worked' piece of kit that has curves on it. That way you don't dig in and leave tramlines. They will work a new one to remove the flatness at the edges before using it in anger.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Jan 2018, 23:42

I meant the flatness (or lack thereof) of the face. I filed the edges and the corners before I started using it so they are slightly curved, but having a relatively flat face compared with my old trowel helps quite a lot. What helps most, though, is having the extra size.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Container)

Postby Mike G » 22 Jan 2018, 12:36

This is a small but very significant step for us. A major transformation of the feel of the site from a building site towards being a normal house:

The land behind where the container stood is the site of a proposed new garage, for which I haven't even yet applied for permission. There is a somewhat overgrown hardcore pile where the garage will go:

This is the first time I've been able to photograph the entirety of the southern elevation.

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Container)

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Jan 2018, 17:39

Brilliant!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP