It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:25

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (render carrier boarding 3

Postby RAF » 01 Oct 2017, 23:20

I'm a Dutchman. I apologise in advance if my language is strange.

I'm fifty years old. I would break in half if I tried to do what you do. It took me forty hours to read this thread.

I registered here for the sole purpose of telling you that I have never seen a man so dedicated, so driven, almost single handedly build such a beautiful set of buildings while, almost as an aside, create a garden and put a few sheds and a pond in it. The sheds are made of bricks on a concrete floor. Self-taught. Done from a set of Autocad drawings. Yes, made by the same man. That is, if he wasn't having 'procedures done' to his back.

You, Sir, are a magician.

/ Rob
RAF
Seedling

Name: Rob

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Oct 2017, 09:41

I find it amazing that a foreigner can articulately express in my own language the words that I can't!

I should have read more in English at school!!

Thanks, Rob.

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 02 Oct 2017, 09:53

Nice words Rob.
Yes we are all very proud of “our” Mike on this forum.
Something to aspire to.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Oct 2017, 15:14

Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum.

Mike somehow finds time to work for his living too.

Now that you have found us how about telling us if you do any sort of woodwork or creative hobbies yourself. Suggest you use the Welcome board if you do feel willing to share more with us.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 02 Oct 2017, 16:32

I cycled past Mike's this morning, the lime rendering was going on nicely, it looks great.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2017, 17:21

RAF wrote:I'm a Dutchman. I apologise in advance if my language is strange.

I'm fifty years old. I would break in half if I tried to do what you do. It took me forty hours to read this thread.

I registered here for the sole purpose of telling you that I have never seen a man so dedicated, so driven, almost single handedly build such a beautiful set of buildings while, almost as an aside, create a garden and put a few sheds and a pond in it. The sheds are made of bricks on a concrete floor. Self-taught. Done from a set of Autocad drawings. Yes, made by the same man. That is, if he wasn't having 'procedures done' to his back.

You, Sir, are a magician.

/ Rob

That's a lovely post, Rob. Thank you so much. I really do appreciate your kind words.

Now that you've joined I hope you stick around. This is a gentle and pleasant little corner of the internet.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2017, 18:04

This is all about getting ready for rendering: getting Savolit boards up everywhere, getting scaffolding up, and getting guttering done. The guttering is important because lime render doesn't set as quickly as sand and cement, and would be vulnerable to rain for a few days after going up (in the case of putty lime, make that a few weeks). So, let's start with the guttering.

Because I have no fascias, the gutters have to fix to the side of the rafter feet, or in my case sprockets. Naturally, the brackets were all too long, so I had to cut them to length. I put the end two brackets in place (one at each end of the roof) and string a line between them so that the guttering doesn't wave in and out or up and down. We'll come to falls in a minute:

On the rear of the house, the new part, all went well. The roof is 10 metres long, and I laid it to fall 50mm in that distance. No problem. On the front of the house, the old part, it wasn't so straight forward. I wanted all of the water to end up at the north end of the roof, and set up a bracket at either end as before, then strung a line. I put the line 60mm lower down the bracket at the north end, but happened to notice that it lined through perfectly with the window head. I grabbed a spirit level and checked, and lo and behold, the string was absolutely level. In other words, the roof sloped 60mm the wrong way. To achieve the falls I wanted the gutter would have to fall 120mm from the eaves line, which would mean it would foul the windows, preventing them open. My 3 year old plan of taking all the water from this roof into the pond had come to nothing.

All I could do was put the outlet half way along the roof, and then I'll take the downpipe into the porch gutter. There is no other drain connection I can get onto:

As an aside, the long "tail" to the gutter brackets fouled the 3 front windows, unless it was fixed to a rafter foot directly above the middle of the window. In a lovely little piece of fortune, for no reason at all each window had a rafter bang in the middle! Sometimes luck is on your side.

So, that's the guttering up. Next, I needed to put up a proper gable scaffold. I had most of the stuff, but had to go and buy a bit more. In the yard I was stunned when the guy helping me picked up three 13 foot (4m) scaffold boards at once and popped them nonchalantly on the roof of my van! Three!! I didn't even try and compete, and just did one at a time. Anyway, the scaffold:

I finished all the Savolit boarding except for part of the back wall:

I'll take a close up of the leadwork over the future conservatory roof next time.

So, finally I was ready!! I had half a ton of lime render in the van:

Mr Reliable turned up exactly when he said he would, and apart from a funeral tomorrow will stay with me until the job is done. We experimented a little with the mixing of the render:

This shows all the fibre in the mix:

There is no sand in it at all. This is exactly what I found with the plaster I took off both inside and out on the old part of the house. No sand, but lime, horsehair and chalk. The modern equivalent is lime, poly-something fibre, chalk, and bobbly insulating something or other. It will dry just as flexible and vapour permeable as the original.

I could have lost a lot of money betting where the first float-full of render would go. I'd have said bottom right hand corner of the wall, as the plasterer is left handed. No, it was right at the very apex of the gable:

It went fantastically well! The boards were a perfect background for rendering, meaning a relatively thin single coat was all that was necessary, saving time and lots of money. You stop putting the stuff on the walls about 2pm, because you are then spending the rest of the day trowelling up, and working the surface as it dries, before finally, I went around with a damp sponge just rubbing up the surface a little. It brings the grains to the surface, leaving a slightly roughened rather than smooth texture. When I finish typing this I'll be going out to do the stuff that was put on later, which is still too wet. Plastering isn't hugely skillful, but is all about timing. Anyway, I couldn't be more thrilled with the result (remember, this will be limewashed in the spring, so the bright colour will disappear).

Because of the rounded corners, there is no natural stopping point on the main elevation of the house. I screwed a temporary batten in place to stop against, and the plasterer embedded some scrim in the plaster as he came up to it:

I "dubbed out" the bottom of the walls where there is a splay, using a drier mix. nonetheless, because of the thickness, the render at this location, and the corners, is still very wet and I'm likely to be sponging them up using a head-torch at bed-time this evening!

I took as much of the scaffold down as I could, to move it to the other end of the house tomorrow:

Now, I've got to go out and sponge away the last of the toolmarks.........
Last edited by Mike G on 03 Oct 2017, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Oct 2017, 18:07

yes Mike .. I like that much better than the grey buttoned look you tried 1st :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Oct 2017, 18:16

Wow!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 02 Oct 2017, 18:31

Those corners! lovely work Mike.
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Oct 2017, 18:49

Wow!! That looks beautiful Mike!!

I love the colour as it is tbh.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2017, 18:53

Tusses wrote:yes Mike .. I like that much better than the grey buttoned look you tried 1st :-)

:lol: :lol:

Malc2098 wrote:Wow!

Thanks Malc. Makes a huge difference, doesn't it.

ScotlandtheDave wrote:Those corners! lovely work Mike.

I've just sponged them up. Caught them just right I think (we'll see in the light, tomorrow). I've done them before, and I love them!

TrimTheKing wrote:Wow!! That looks beautiful Mike!!

I love the colour as it is tbh. ....

Thanks Mark. I was expecting it a little more bone/ ivory coloured, but I guess the chalk makes it quite white.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Oct 2017, 18:54

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby the bear » 02 Oct 2017, 20:52

Wow that makes a difference
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (render 1)

Postby StevieB » 02 Oct 2017, 21:32

Fantastic - he has done a big area for a single day too!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2017, 21:46

Well, I did help him. I got a few square metres "on", and did quite a bit of trowelling up, and all the sponging (plus the mixing and cleaning). But yeah, I'm very pleased with progress.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 03 Oct 2017, 01:35

It is a vast improvement, Mike.

I was reading the bit about your gutters and although the extra drop would be unsightly I was wondering what you meant about fouling the windows. Then I remembered--your windows swing out because you don't have screens. D'oh!

The end may not be in sight, but at least you won't be living in an obvious construction zone. :)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 03 Oct 2017, 06:38

What a difference that render makes. Must feel like you have turned a corner.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 03 Oct 2017, 07:43

Yeah, you're right, Kirk & Andy. This feels like a big step.

Predictably, I've already had one driver stop and say "great to see your house nearly finished".
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 03 Oct 2017, 10:07

Same sentiments as above - Wow!

I especially like the transition between the brick plinth and the render.

My dad rebuilt our house when I was a little un and I remember it was about 8 months after the outside looked finished before we moved out the caravan and into the house. Even then we were essentially camping in the bedrooms upstairs!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby firedfromthecircus » 03 Oct 2017, 17:16

ScotlandtheDave wrote:Those corners! lovely work Mike.

This. :text-bravo:

And I'll also echo what Rob said above. I joined this forum quite a while back with an idea about doing some woodworking. In that time period I have done a (very) little green wood carving but that is it. Yet I can't stop coming back and watching how Mikes house and workshop is getting on. I am staggered at both the sheer volume of the work you achieve, and the quality. Chapeau indeed. :eusa-clap:
firedfromthecircus
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Oct 2017, 19:23

Thanks FFTC, & HJ. I do enjoy posting this stuff, and I'm glad people seem to appreciate it.

Lots of preparation today, as the plasterer was away at a funeral. I took down the gable scaffold and rebuilt it on the north gable/s (complete one side, just to first lift on the other side). Finished the lead and guttering on the back wall, and did some more boarding (all-but finished now), and then "dubbed out" the thicker bits (bottom edge and corner) ready for tomorrow. Finally, I set up 3 scaffold towers at the front. Ready for another full day tomorrow, when we'll do the rendering of the front.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 03 Oct 2017, 20:20

Oh the curves, I could look at that all day.
Excellent work
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby MattS » 03 Oct 2017, 22:42

Amazing Mike, it looks so good with the tender on, you must be so pleased!!!

Once finished you’d hardly know all the work that’s gone into the oak, from the outside anyway.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 04 Oct 2017, 01:54

I too, must chime in here, Mike. That does make a whale of a difference. Bravo :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP