It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:16

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch frame erected)

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2017, 21:03

Stirling work!

I have probably missed something but what is the horizontal gap on the LHS (looking at it) for? And those mortises on the door timbers for?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby firedfromthecircus » 26 Aug 2017, 21:07

:o

Losfer words!
I think just Wow will have to do!

:text-bravo:
firedfromthecircus
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2017, 21:19

Thanks guys. Great fun day. One of those days where you can definitely see where you've been.

ScotlandtheDave wrote:Just fab work, nothing else to say! You achieve more in a day than most in a week!

Well, there was about 8 or 9 days preparation went into that one day. It certainly gave one or two drivers a bit of a shock, though. Nothing there in the morning, and a complete frame there in the evening when they went back past.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2017, 21:23

Rod wrote:I have probably missed something but what is the horizontal gap on the LHS (looking at it) for? And those mortises on the door timbers for?

The slot is for a letter box. I didn't want to spoil the door with a hole, so i put it in the wall instead. The mortises in the outside face of the door are for a canopy over the door on gallows brackets, as per this drawing, (roughly):

There are also long mortises on the door-facing part of the posts, and they're for the spandrels to form the 4 centred arch for the door head.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2017, 21:41

Dan0741 wrote:Mike - Looks fantastic, a grin well earned. The ridge at the house end - how does that get supported in the final construction - I appreciate the current arrangement is temporary.......

There'll be a pair of rafter fixed to the wall of the house, not on show, probably with a little horizontal member below in oak, on show, to hold the ridge beam. I'll have a longer think about that tonight. There are alternatives.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Aug 2017, 22:20

Proper job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 27 Aug 2017, 08:44

Good work and an interresting read.
:eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Pinch » 27 Aug 2017, 09:20

:eusa-clap: Oh yes, well deserved cup of tea Mike! Bravo bravo! 8-)

There's an awful lot of work in that; working out, marking up, all the jointing, heavy lifting and assembling etc etc, and to do this by yourself in the time you have deserves a proper stand to attention salute! :eusa-clap:

Moving onto your roof, I can see a couple of changes from the drawing to reality which is normal with most projects (including furniture), but to clarify; it looks like you're going completely traditional - not plumb cutting the rafters into the ridge, but going over the top with a halving or similar, and seat cutting (no bird's mouth) onto the head plate with sprockets from there out with closed eaves. Are you plumb cutting the rafters at the head plate before the sprockets go on?
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 27 Aug 2017, 10:17

The savolit boards sitting in the rebates - do you seal them or does the rendering take care of that?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2017, 10:19

Hi Paul. Astute questions.......

The pair of oak rafters at the front will, as you say, be bridle jointed at the top, not plumb cut. They're also birdsmouthed over the ridge beam. Behind that, the rest of the roof is softwood, which will have a plumb cut at the ridge. However, they don't meet the oak ridge beam, deliberately, for reasons which should be clearer when I show the photos this evening. There will be a softwood spacer on top of the ridge, over which they'll be birdsmouthed.

All rafters, as you say, will spring from the outside edge of the eaves beam with a seat cut, and an oak sprocket will be fastened over that.

As an aside (I forgot to mention it last night), I was originally going to have the ridge beam sit on a jowl on the King post, so as not to penetrate to the outside. After going back and forth on that for a while, I decided on the easier option. This is a porch on a cottage, not a vaulted roof over a mediaeval hall!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2017, 10:20

Rod wrote:The savolit boards sitting in the rebates - do you seal them or does the rendering take care of that?

Rod

Rendering does that. It's what these boards are designed for.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Aug 2017, 11:00

Beautiful Mike, really lovely, and a workrate that shames me... :oops: :lol:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 27 Aug 2017, 11:50

Thank you for the umpteenth time for sharing this with us. I will never tire of reading your posts.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 27 Aug 2017, 12:00

I've been a bit distracted messing about with the picture hosting but I have found time to keep up with your progress.

Hard to think of some new comment to make. How many times can I say impressive :)

You tackle things that would daunt the best of us like they are easy jobs and at such a pace. Sure I've said thanks for posting before too but it bears repeating - thanks.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2017, 18:16

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Really, these positive comments do help through some of the more tedious days.

I worked for 10 hours on the porch today, and it looks exactly identical to how it did last night. So, I'll wait until tomorrow to post some more photos.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby jules70 » 27 Aug 2017, 21:40

Is it not a bank holiday tomorrow ! Loving following the thread as always.
jules70
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2017, 22:33

jules70 wrote:Is it not a bank holiday tomorrow?

And?

I just plod on whenever the weather allows it, and the next couple of days should be lovely. So, tomorrow, the roof.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 27 Aug 2017, 23:36

So..1/2 the weight of concrete, eh? That does make it all the more impressive Mr. G. The photo of you with your cup..both smug and proud..and RIGHTLY SO! :text-bravo:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 28 Aug 2017, 10:53

Wow Mike, looks amazing.
Im really interested in the render boards. The interior of our farmhouse was all covered in those render boards and plastered in. It was an absolute nightmare, joiners here gave its nickname, the grey death for Oak framed buildings. After the war it was a wonder construction material for modernising old buildings and combined with poor choice of cement based plaster it has caused so many problems trapping moisture against and within the frame. They literally used it everywhere.
It was an absolute pain to get rid of as it cant be recycled and they hate having it in skips (different waste types have a different prices, all by weight).
I can see how when used with lime based products it would work well. What are you planning to use as insulation and finish behind the board?
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2017, 13:51

That's a very different stuff from Savolit boards, which have only been around for a few years, and can be recycled. They're vapour permeable, too, so they don't trap moisture, and work well with lime render.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch roof structure)

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2017, 18:18

Next on the list was the roof. These were the easy part:

I had thought long and hard about how to make the oak rafters at the front elevation. They were a real complication, because you need the ridge in place to mark out its location on the rafters, but the ridge stops you getting the rafters in place to mark anything out. So, I decided to make the softwood rafters, and use a pair of those to capture the position of the ridge beam:

Having got the birdsmouth over the ridge beam sorted, and the feet cut, I then offered the rafters up into position to mark for the joints with the tie/ door head, and the little window heads. There is a big bridle joint at the top, and I made this next:

That one joint was nearly half a days work, and, frankly, it was a little too loose. I also chopped out the mortises for the connection to the tie beam/ door head.

The joint on the end of that tie beam looks a bit odd because it is joining a 5x5 piece to a 4 inch wide rafter:

It went together absolutely beautifully. I couldn't have hoped for better:

Finally, the little window heads which retain the rafter feet needed their joint doing:

At this stage, the porch had gone backwards from where we were a couple of days ago:

Time to start putting it all together again.Window heads on, tie beam on, and a pair of rafters fixed securely to the house. Before doing the latter I had trued everything up and got the walls exactly where I wanted them (they still flapped about a bit at that end):

I put in another temporary ridge support beam, whilst I come up with something nice in oak. Then the ridge went in:

Finally, I could offer up the oak rafters, and located the Savolit infill panels:

The only way the rafters could move was horizontal, because of the tenon on the tie beam. I had to wax all the bearing surfaces and all the joints, and get my biggest sledge hammer. It took some messing around, and lots of loud hammering, but everything dropped into place beautifully. I captured all the pieces top and bottom with stainless steel screws, with pegs to follow in the next day or two:

Finally, I was able to nail up the softwood rafters:

There's a reason for the odd spacing, which you'll see tomorrow. You'll also hopefully see oak sprockets, and membrane and battens, giving us a watertight roof.
Last edited by Mike G on 29 Aug 2017, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Aug 2017, 20:36

Oh, yes!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 28 Aug 2017, 21:37

Oh me, oh my...that is really superb. :eusa-clap:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby jules70 » 28 Aug 2017, 22:56

Mike G wrote:
jules70 wrote:Is it not a bank holiday tomorrow?

And?

I just plod on whenever the weather allows it, and the next couple of days should be lovely. So, tomorrow, the roof.

Your right, the weather has been beautiful for plodding along. Laid some turf two weeks ago so knew it was going to turn !!
jules70
Seedling

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Aug 2017, 23:14

Nice work

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP