It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:59

Chopsaw stand

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Chopsaw stand

Postby Doug » 05 Feb 2019, 18:49

Over the Xmas period I upgraded my chop saw stand this had been its previous home

FAF3EE5F-1102-430C-A525-BEA75A481768.jpeg
(205.95 KiB)

It was a throw back to when I had a radial saw in the same spot many years ago, one of the problems you can see is the worktop wasn’t wide enough, also the space underneath had become a dumping ground hidden by two lift out panels made because the RAS was so messy it threw dust everywhere, these panels were no longer necessary as the extraction on the Kapex is so much better & I really wanted to utilise the space underneath much better.

I decided to make a unit out of MFC in part because I could use it for the whole construction & make the top as wide as I needed & also from a cost point of view as a 2800x2070 sheet was under £60 & would be enough to make the whole thing.
I started off cutting all the components to size in the workshop with my tracksaw, the top being made up of two pieces screwed together

59AB72E1-6CC7-4890-8EDF-E5F7473983DC.jpeg
(72.33 KiB)

I then packed up all the parts in the van & nipped up the road to my mate Jonny’s to trim all the edges, I could have applied the edgebanding with cold glue, cauls & clamps in my shop but his edgebander was so quick it was a no brainier to take up his offer of trying out the Festool Contiro

545D1736-96E8-4C28-84C8-1F2AFF6D7252.jpeg
(71.13 KiB)

I was suitably impressed with how easy it was to use, the machine heats up a glue pellet, applies the glue to the edge banding & drives the banding through the machine, all I had to do was apply pressure keeping the tool square to the edge & move along the edge in time with the machine.
The glue goes off almost immediately after which it’s just a matter of running the trimmer over both top & bottom to get a nicely finished edge

CF5BCB45-0976-45BC-A7A1-E0B329568A97.jpeg
(55.51 KiB)

After packing all the parts back in the van & payment of a curry was duely made at a local curry house for use of the Conturo it was back my workshop to start assembling.
Assembly was done in stages jointing the pieces with dominos & gluing up.

EA364BD6-DB7B-48D8-B6E3-926329410B51.jpeg
(176.87 KiB)

More to follow once I’ve turned a few more photos around as Apple doesn’t seem to like the forum soft wear.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Chopsaw stand

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Feb 2019, 20:09

Can't wait!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Doug » 05 Feb 2019, 20:22

Well loading photos directly from my phone failed as the forum keep logging me out so my post was lost, on the bright side taking the photos in landscape on my Android phone, uploading them to iCloud then adding them to the post on my iPad hasn’t meant altering them in any way, though it would have been less time consuming to load them straight from my phone :eusa-think:

Anyway this is the final unit, the bottom 3 compartments have drawers in them for easy access to the boxes & because I had 3 left over from a previous unit build

20048C46-58AD-48A8-9525-7B41287E38BC.jpeg
(277.34 KiB)

I’ve kept the Perspex hood I originally made for the radial arm saw as it contains any dust the extractor doesn’t get though I changed the top to white faced hardboard to help reflect the light, if I find a piece of Perspex big enough I will change it for that.

8E1A4C19-98AB-4C8F-8919-556A428541FE.jpeg
(282.69 KiB)

I kept all but the top of the unit about 7” off the wall & fixed hooks to the top back rail of the unit to allow me to hang my big nail guns behind it, I couldn’t get a photo of this but it’s turned out to be a convenient space as I’ve also manage to slide in a couple of machine beds that get used very infrequently but take up a bit of space

0A8F88FC-E34F-4AFC-8FC9-BF47D0CB7E40.jpeg
(337.07 KiB)

Overall it takes up less space than what was there before which is a bonus particularly as I’ve managed to store so much more gear under it, the saw sits to the right of the unit as that allows over 8’ lengths of timber to be cut to the left of the blade, though one of the next things I want to make is a removable bed to fit on the left hand side of the saw incorporating some kind of stop to make cutting multiple pieces of wood to length.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Feb 2019, 22:13

Very nice mate, thanks for sharing.

I do like the look of that and the systainer storage method. As discussed offline, I will have to see how much (or little) I could get them for before I decide whether I can go down that route. Much food for thought though and love the Festool colour scheme!

That edge bander looks the mutts nuts should you have enough need for it. I do like Festool...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Feb 2019, 22:22

Nice job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 06 Feb 2019, 01:02

Far too tidy
Very nice

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Feb 2019, 07:25

Yep, very posh and again far too tidy. Neat pencil holder too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2019, 09:31

Andyp wrote:Yep, very posh and again far too tidy. Neat pencil holder too.

And he's got a central heating radiator :mrgreen:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Feb 2019, 10:55

I know it's all in jest, but I never quite get the 'far too tidy' jokes. I mean, I'm completely the opposite, despite trying I always end up messy and disorganised, but I would give my right arm (well, maybe my left arm, that's useless!) to have a space as well organised and tidy as Doug's, and many others. :eusa-think:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 06 Feb 2019, 12:16

TrimTheKing wrote:I know it's all in jest, but I never quite get the 'far too tidy' jokes. I mean, I'm completely the opposite, despite trying I always end up messy and disorganised, but I would give my right arm (well, maybe my left arm, that's useless!) to have a space as well organised and tidy as Doug's, and many others. :eusa-think:

My guess it is all about discipline Mark, and space, and organisation and time and..
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2019, 12:26

Andyp wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:I know it's all in jest, but I never quite get the 'far too tidy' jokes. I mean, I'm completely the opposite, despite trying I always end up messy and disorganised, but I would give my right arm (well, maybe my left arm, that's useless!) to have a space as well organised and tidy as Doug's, and many others. :eusa-think:

My guess it is all about discipline Mark, and space, and organisation and time and..

..whether one is tidy by nature ...like my wife but not like me (to her annoyance) !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Feb 2019, 12:36

My issue is that as soon as the 'shop becomes messy and disorganised I can't concentrate on what I'm doing; mistakes then start to happen very rapidly and it has been known on more than one occasion for entire jobs to be fed to the bandsaw. Thankfully, that hasn't happened for a few years, so my regime is to use the gulper (100mm flex hose connected to the dx system) to clean the floor every evening, have a quick tidy up and check that everything's ready for the next time I'm in the 'shop. It's really just a matter of routine and takes no more that three mins at the end of the day - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 06 Feb 2019, 19:10

Apart from the fact I hate working in a mess & what resembles a cave, I’ve done that for too many years working in others folks workshops & on site the main reason I have to be organised is I have so much stuff.

Unfortunately due to the variety of work I do I need the equipment but as I’m no longer willing to pay the exorbitant insurance premiums to insure my tools I’m left with no choice but to house it all in the workshop when not in use.

I still haven’t payed more than one years worth of premium for all the systainer gear I’ve bought & it makes emptying the van each evening so much easier, but if I don’t have a specific place to put each box it ends up cluttering the shop making it difficult to do any work without continually moving it from place to place.

Though I will admit having a clean warm light environment to work in makes going in the workshop seem more like fun than work
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 06 Feb 2019, 19:17

TrimTheKing wrote:Much food for thought though and love the Festool colour scheme!

I’m a sucker for punishment :shock: :lol:

TrimTheKing wrote:That edge bander looks the mutts nuts should you have enough need for it. I do like Festool...

It certainly is Mark definitely on my list if that kind of work picks up
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 06 Feb 2019, 19:23

RogerS wrote:
And he's got a central heating radiator :mrgreen:

There’s 3 im nesh :o not the hardened northerner like your good self :D
Doug
Old Oak

Name: