It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:44

Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Wedged Tusk Tenons)

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Apr 2019, 18:32

Perfick and to finish off the tenons, a small chamfer round the ends would complete that part of the job - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2019, 18:59

Woodbloke wrote:Perfick and to finish off the tenons, a small chamfer round the ends would complete that part of the job - Rob

Already done.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2019, 19:55

The top strips seem to have remained quite curly, so in answer to everyone itching to find out if Roger's suggestion works, it didn't unless I did something wrong.

IMG_2687.JPG
(275.55 KiB)

IMG_2688.JPG
(297.33 KiB)

There's quite a lot of spring in two axes, so I think I will be losing some width and depth on the planer.

To be fair to the supplier, when I messaged about heartwood and curly planks, he delivered another couple of planks FOC.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Malcolm's Workbench (Wedged Tusk Tenons)

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Apr 2019, 19:59

All packaged up and ready to go in the morning. I had planned to send it today but trotted off to the post office to post this and collect a couple of things, only I left the house forgetting to pick this up! Clown!

It’ll be with Bob in a day or so. No recompense required mate, just remember me when you’re famous!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 07 Apr 2019, 21:56

Perhaps it was my bad explanation. I wasn't suggesting that the bow would go completely. Just that it should be less and so you'd end up with thicker wood after prepping then if you'd tried to do it without the pre-release.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2019, 22:15

TrimTheKing wrote:All packaged up and ready to go in the morning. I had planned to send it today but trotted off to the post office to post this and collect a couple of things, only I left the house forgetting to pick this up! Clown!

It’ll be with Bob in a day or so. No recompense required mate, just remember me when you’re famous!

I'll never be famous again, but I was once!

Thanks.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2019, 22:17

RogerS wrote:Perhaps it was my bad explanation. I wasn't suggesting that the bow would go completely. Just that it should be less and so you'd end up with thicker wood after prepping then if you'd tried to do it without the pre-release.

Well, maybe it might have worked. The boards did not come from the straightest part of the tree, and I had a word with the supplier about that, so I got a couple of extras I can mill from.

But, most of the strips might not lose many mms in the planing, although a couple will.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2019, 16:34

If it's of any help, what I did when I made my bench top was to take it to a local cabinet maker's shop and ask them (it should be noted that a few beer tokens changed hands :eusa-whistle: ) if it could be stuffed through their humungous sanding machine (proper industrial jobbie). Saved a lot of hassle and angst in the long run trying to flatten the thing...Google is your friend (and a mobile 'fone) - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Apr 2019, 23:19

Good call, Rob. There's two in my town.

I've still got to bottom out the design of the top yet; you know, apron or not, tool well or not, tail vice or not, split top or not, breadboards or not. You know, that sort of thing.

I really like Jimmy Mack's Rory's bench. I might pinch an idea or two from his.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Apr 2019, 21:58

Malc2098 wrote:... apron or not, tool well or not, tail vice or not,

My two euros; definitely not for an apron (pain in the arris if you want to cramp anything to the top), unquestionably a resounding 'yes' for the second and third. If you do a tool well, make sure you have a base to it that can be removed which then means you can cramp stuff to the top from both sides; tres useful - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Apr 2019, 22:07

Thanks, Rob. Makes absolute sense.

Just in the process of straightening out the laminations for the top.

I like the way Jimmy has 'included' his vice. Mine is the same, so I may well got for that.

I think the veritas inset vice and a row of dogs.

Dogs!!! 19mm or 20mm?!!

Is the Festool MFT 19mm and Veritas and other dogs 20?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2019, 08:59

The reason for an apron is to provide racking resistance. If you decide not to put an apron in, then you will need some form of diagonal bracing to provide structural stiffness to resist horizontal forces from planing. Don't forget that all of your joints are likely to weaken over time, and relying on a rectilinear construction, without bracing or an apron, is a recipe for a wobbly bench.

Traditional benches don't allow for clamping because they were designed around hold-downs. Hold-downs and aprons go hand-in-hand, although a tail-vice can do much of what hold-downs can do, in a different way. Your choice.............but my number one criteria for a bench is that it is rock solid. Doing away with the apron increases the risk that it isn't.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2019, 09:04

Blimey!!

Decision, decisions! :?:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 10 Apr 2019, 09:33

@Mark & Malc

Just to let you know that the ABW for the dowels arrived this morning.

Typically I'm upto my ear 'oles with stuff having bought a flat yesterday and part way through building an ottoman bed in the workshop so today will be a write off but I will get on with the dowels in the next few days

@Malc would you be kind enough to pm me your address - yes I know I should have it somewhere from the last time I sent stuff but my filing system is not that well organised.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Apr 2019, 10:48

Mike G wrote:The reason for an apron is to provide racking resistance. If you decide not to put an apron in, then you will need some form of diagonal bracing to provide structural stiffness to resist horizontal forces from planing. Don't forget that all of your joints are likely to weaken over time, and relying on a rectilinear construction, without bracing or an apron, is a recipe for a wobbly bench.

Traditional benches don't allow for clamping because they were designed around hold-downs. Hold-downs and aprons go hand-in-hand, although a tail-vice can do much of what hold-downs can do, in a different way. Your choice.............but my number one criteria for a bench is that it is rock solid. Doing away with the apron increases the risk that it isn't.

You're right of course Mike, but there's more than one way to skin a proverbial pu$$y cat. I built a rail at the top of the framework at the rear of my bench to prevent racking and all of them are draw bolted; if anything does come a smidge loose, a tweak with a spanner tightens everything up again...I've done it once in twelve years.
The simplest way to stop the framework from racking is to screw a piece of 12mm ply to the whole back and the best way to make it rock solid is with mass, lots of it. Once the bench gets to about 130Kg (mine is heavier :D ) it's not going anywhere despite the pain that a user can inflict on it!
At the end of the day, it's about using it as a tool (which is what it is) and a front apron makes it bloody awkward to cramp anything to the top with a G-cramp (or similar) 'cos you have to get inside and under the apron.

IMG_2702.jpg
(217.28 KiB)

IMG_2701.jpg
(177.79 KiB)

Malc - I think the MFT uses 19mm dogs, check on the Ax site. UJK dogs are designed to compliment Festool stuff, but I'd advise again to check - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2019, 11:54

Yep, a solid ply back solves most of the racking issues. That's how mine works. Another way would be to bolt the whole thing to the wall.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2019, 20:59

9fingers wrote:@Mark & Malc

Just to let you know that the ABW for the dowels arrived this morning.

Typically I'm upto my ear 'oles with stuff having bought a flat yesterday and part way through building an ottoman bed in the workshop so today will be a write off but I will get on with the dowels in the next few days

@Malc would you be kind enough to pm me your address - yes I know I should have it somewhere from the last time I sent stuff but my filing system is not that well organised.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for supply and posting, Mark.

Thanks for processing, Bob. No rush. I've still got to sort this top out.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2019, 21:07

Gents,

Thanks for your input. It has been helpful in helping me design it.

It will be short as you can see from the frame photos. The top will not be any bigger than 1.2 x 0.6m

I propose fitting the top by way of 4 x 'buttons' I think they're called, fat dowels sticking up out of the frame and holes in the underside of the top to receive them. I hope that reduces the potential for wracking in the horizontal axis.

I have a piece of used 12mm ply just waiting to be up-cycled by fixing to the back which will keep it straight in one of the horizontal axes.

I've had a jump around on it and stays pretty well stationary as it is. The weight of the top, it's vices, the small DX and a small box of drawers under will all help ad mass I think.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2019, 21:17

I omitted to say, I've been persuaded with an apron, (to match my Star Baker one :D ), I have been using the long besseys on my temporary bench anyway, and I like Rory's Bench's apron merged with vice jaws.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 10 Apr 2019, 22:22

FWIW Malc I have not for one minute regretted drilling holes, round, in bench top and using hold downs and veritas dogs.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 11 Apr 2019, 07:06

One advantage of an apron is it gives you something to clamp long lengths to when working in the front vice
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2019, 10:11

Andyp wrote:FWIW Malc I have not for one minute regretted drilling holes, round, in bench top and using hold downs and veritas dogs.

I am minded to got the dog hole route, Andy.

What diameter are yours?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Apr 2019, 13:18

Two options here. If you're going to build in a tail vice of some sort, you can get away without the round dog 'oles and Veritas thingies all over the place. A tail vice and a row of square dog 'oles close to the front edge means you don't need your bench top to look like a Swiss cheese. Horses for dooberies as ever - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2019, 13:53

I've got in my mind the veritas inset tail vice at the right hand end close to the front and a row of dog holes along the front of the top in line with it.

I also have in mind a pair of dog holes on the outer face vice grip and a double row of maybe two or three holes across the bench.

That way, I can vice clamp (horizontally) flat works.

If I have a removable tool tray base, I can then clamp vertically onto the bench top, and, if necessary, use the long blesseys to clamps down onto the apron.

I think I'm getting there. But I'm still not sure of what diameter dog holes?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Apr 2019, 13:59

Find the cheapest dogs you want to buy and make the holes that size, or make your own and make the holes that size? It really doesn't matter what size they are so long as they fit the dogs you have. Worst case is you make them too small, then you can always make them bigger using a router with a template and bearing guided cutter.

Don't over think it, just go with the flow... :D
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP