It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 20:53

Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 May 2019, 07:27

Looks lovely that Malc.

Out of interest, is there no lateral movement at the front at all? Appreciate the back is braced with a board but those legs are very thin in one direction so I’m surprised there’s no flex if you were planing a tough board along the front apron.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: 16 Jun 2014, 13:27
Location: Grappenhall, Cheshire
Name: Mark

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 May 2019, 09:41

Gents, thanks for your kind comments.

Rutlands are sending some bench dogs as I type. I aim to bore holes in line with the tail vice and then some pairs in line with the front vice, like on Rory's bench.

Mark, I gave it a try yesterday and and it stayed un-flexed, but lifted the right end foot off the floor.

Either I back off the plane blade or I need more weight low down! :D
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Rod » 08 May 2019, 10:56

A cupboard full of tools will help

Rod
User avatar
Rod
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4081
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:34
Location: Winchester, Hampshire
Name:

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 May 2019, 10:59

Rod wrote:A cupboard full of tools will help

Rod



Thanks, Rod. Send them by courier :lol:
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby DaveL » 08 May 2019, 11:01

I made a cupboard with drawers for tools that sits on the stretchers on my bench, it does help.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 May 2019, 11:12

DaveL wrote:I made a cupboard with drawers for tools that sits on the stretchers on my bench, it does help.



Thanks, Dave. I was planning something like that, but I'd like to get the shop vac fitted in first and see how much room I have left.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2019, 13:26

Looks really good Malc. As a suggestion, I'd knock off those sharp corners on the closing cheek of the vice; maybe a 4mm chamfer. If you're planing a longish board edge in the vice and you're left hand/knuckles comes into close contact with that vice corner, you'll say slightly more than 'oh botheration!' :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 May 2019, 14:18

Thanks, Rob. Yes, it's on my to do list to knock off the arrises. But I wouldn't say anything near as strong as botheration. It'd be more like, blow, or dash. Honest! :oops:

Years ago, I bought a veritas cornering tool kit. I've sharpened it up with the supplied silicon carbide paper and tried it out on some scrap ash, and I think I'll use that to lose the arrises.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2019, 15:24

Malc2098 wrote:Years ago, I bought a veritas cornering tool kit...

I wouldn't bother with that, a block plane's your weapon of choice - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Andyp » 08 May 2019, 16:43

Malc2098 wrote:Gents, thanks for your kind comments.

Rutlands are sending some bench dogs as I type. I aim to bore holes in line with the tail vice and then some pairs in line with the front vice, like on Rory's bench.

Mark, I gave it a try yesterday and and it stayed un-flexed, but lifted the right end foot off the floor.

Either I back off the plane blade or I need more weight low down! :D


I’ve got a cast iron surface plate for ballast under one bench but a bag of sand would probably do the trick.
cheers

Andy
“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...” A.A. Milne

Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
User avatar
Andyp
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5916
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Malcolm's Workbench (Fitting the vice)

Postby Malc2098 » 08 May 2019, 17:19

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Gents, thanks for your kind comments.

Rutlands are sending some bench dogs as I type. I aim to bore holes in line with the tail vice and then some pairs in line with the front vice, like on Rory's bench.

Mark, I gave it a try yesterday and and it stayed un-flexed, but lifted the right end foot off the floor.

Either I back off the plane blade or I need more weight low down! :D


I’ve got a cast iron surface plate for ballast under one bench but a bag of sand would probably do the trick.


I've also seen a short piece of railway rail for sale on eBay as a small anvil. Might go for that.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests