It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:56

First work bench

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

First work bench

Postby MY63 » 28 Apr 2019, 15:41

I hope it is ok to start a new thread I did not want the workbenches to get lost in the build thread.

As I now have the shell of a workshop and need to fit it with work benches. I want to use the underneath for storage some draws and some cupboards.
I have watched numerous videos but none quite have what I am looking for. Around 1m high and 600mm wide on one side for leatherwork and maybe a little wider on the wood working side, which will be based around the MFT style top I purchased earlier.

Image2019-04-28_03-04-30 by my0771, on Flickr

This is first simple drawing sorry I just cant make sketch up work :) The legs are 100mm square which I seemed to have acquired a lot of 4 x 1.8 m and 4 x 2.4 m.
I have a granite slab that will sit on this side it is 25 mm thick and quite heavy it is going to sit in the first 600mm of this bench as there is an extra joist under the floor in preparation for this .

Questions.
How far apart should the legs be.
Should the legs go right to the top and have the rails joined into them or should I make a frame sit on top of the legs.
Joint wise would mean a lot of mortise and tenon joints I have a surplus of 25mm dowel could I drill some holes through the joints and use the 25mm dowel.

I have found my Dads drill press which has been in my garage for the last 20 years it is as good as new I just need a drill to fit it probably a 30 year old black and decker :)
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: First work bench

Postby MY63 » 02 May 2019, 20:59

I think it might be best to build the woodworking side with the MFT style top first so I have a good platform to build the rest from. Would it be better for this style top to make a torsion box to sit it on so it has extra support.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Return to Projects & WIP