It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:50

Bookcase WIP - Dun

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bookcase WIP - The Stand

Postby Rod » 05 Jun 2019, 23:42

Must be going for very large books, did you use the Sagulator?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jun 2019, 08:35

Rod wrote:Must be going for very large books, did you use the Sagulator?

Rod

Indeed Rod, a few big coffee table books and some large photo albums at 33cm square. The centre shelf will be around 25mm thick; laminated pine core with hefty oak lippings all round and a 3mm veneer each side - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jun 2019, 09:14

Having left the two sides to set square overnight, the top...

IMG_2970.jpg
(171.29 KiB)

...the top was glued on before breakfast this morning, leaving the super square in position 'just in case' :eusa-whistle: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 06 Jun 2019, 11:07

Your super square intrigues me. Do you have a previous post talking about them - why you designed them like that, and you you ensure super duper Squareness?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2019, 11:21

I'd be concerned about movement in a "super" square made from tree wood.

I've made smaller ones for assembly work using MRMDF which seem to be very stable checked against my second best square which is a roofing/framing square that has been spot on since new - luck of the draw though I realise.

http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... =20&t=1152

I keep a moore and wright engineers square in a box solely for reference and it goes back in the box immediately after use.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jun 2019, 12:39

sammy.se wrote:Your super square intrigues me. Do you have a previous post talking about them - why you designed them like that, and you you ensure super duper Squareness?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If you'd care to have a swift peek here you'll see how super-duper squareness was achieved and the Parf table is a lot more accurate than most squares over that distance.

9fingers wrote:I'd be concerned about movement in a "super" square made from tree wood.

I've made smaller ones for assembly work using MRMDF which seem to be very stable checked against my second best square which is a roofing/framing square that has been spot on since new - luck of the draw though I realise.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1152

I keep a moore and wright engineers square in a box solely for reference and it goes back in the box immediately after use.
Bob

In the above UKW post my super-duper tree wood square was checked against a 300mm square which for all woodmangling purposes is accurate enough. Roofing squares are notoriously innacurate; I have an old Stanley one which is miles out of true, so I guess you were lucky Bob

Edit: even when taking off the sash cramps there's a tiny bit of 'spring back' (about 3mm at the top) on one side which is annoying :evil: but with careful fitting, then gluing/screwing of the back panels and the super-duper square cramped in place, the side ought :eusa-pray: to be able to be pulled back square - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2019, 08:31

I was going to ask why, with the use of two of your super dooper square thingies, you do not clamp all four sides at the same time?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jun 2019, 16:42

Andyp wrote:I was going to ask why, with the use of two of your super dooper square thingies, you do not clamp all four sides at the same time?

'Cos I only made one super-duper square and I haven't got enough sash cramps to pull up all four sides :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Jun 2019, 17:29

If you make the top and bottom precisely the same length, then one square is all you need to ensure a fully accurate glue-up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jun 2019, 17:36

I've always done such glue ups with the item lying on its back to minimise the risk of any wind in the structure.
Still all the clamps and the internal square reference clamp
This is not meant as a criticism at all but curious as to the benfits of doing Rob's way.

Itend to favour methods that make gravity do some of the work :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Bookcase WIP - Dun

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Jun 2019, 15:20

Dun n'dusted...

IMG_3022.jpg
(131.84 KiB)

IMG_3025.jpg
(115.29 KiB)

IMG_3024.jpg
(111.06 KiB)

...and having had a sort out of all our books, it's almost fully loaded

IMG_3026.jpg
(188.79 KiB)

Glass sliding doors yet to be installed - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Jun 2019, 16:45

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 29 Jun 2019, 06:50

Looks as if you should have made a bigger one. It does look good, belying the work envolved.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jun 2019, 08:55

Andyp wrote:Looks as if you should have made a bigger one. It does look good, belying the work envolved.

Thanks Andy, there wasn't much room for anything bigger, but we've still kept the old one in the utility room for all the odds n'sods. Cyber Mars Bar (sans Novichock :D ) if you can spot the deliberate mistake? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Jun 2019, 10:08

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:Looks as if you should have made a bigger one. It does look good, belying the work envolved.

Thanks Andy, there wasn't much room for anything bigger, but we've still kept the old one in the utility room for all the odds n'sods. Cyber Mars Bar (sans Novichock :D ) if you can spot the deliberate mistake? - Rob

I can’t see anything Rob but being as you have a book on the subject can we expect to see a ship in a bottle sometime soon?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Jun 2019, 13:23

Deliberate mistake? Is the shelf a little too short? Cut the wrong side of the line maybe? Could be intentional though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jun 2019, 15:00

Andyp wrote: Cyber Mars Bar (sans Novichock :D ) if you can spot the deliberate mistake? - Rob

I can’t see anything Rob but being as you have a book on the subject can we expect to see a ship in a bottle sometime soon?[/quote]

TrimTheKing wrote:Deliberate mistake? Is the shelf a little too short? Cut the wrong side of the line maybe? Could be intentional though.

Nothing to do with the bookcase but everything do do with the lamp my dad made in Malta during the 1950's, mainly from bits scavenged off gash aeroplane propellors (as he was in change of the 'Prop Shop' at RNAS Halfar)

Andy - coupla pics of some SIB's I made around twenty odd years ago; a barque on it's own going up the Channel past Cornwall (note the smoke from a tin mine on the cliff) and a pair of barquentines having a race, one flying the 'Red Duster' and the other the 'Stars and Stripes':

5e514rr.jpg
(84.14 KiB)

2r21ty1yyy.jpg
(83.76 KiB)

Very tricky to do and VERY :evil: hard on the MK1 eyeballs - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 30 Jun 2019, 04:55

Very nice Rob. The elegance is in it's (apparent) simplicity. Made a few Ships in Bottles myself in my teens in the mid 1960's. Wouldn't even attempt one now without magnifying equipment. My parents always went out when it went in the bottle. They didn't want to be around if it all went "bits" up!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 10:48

RogerM wrote:Very nice Rob. The elegance is in it's (apparent) simplicity.

Thanks Rog. It is a fairly straight forward piece but as ever, there were elements that made it trickier than it first seems, one which is to get the sides dead square (easy with a big 600mm wooden square) and secondly the stand is exactly co-planar with the base of the bookcase which is even more tricksical until you work out how to do it - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP