It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:46

Clock Projects

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Clock Projects

Postby mabazza ritchie » 06 Jun 2019, 14:25

Hello,

I have been asked to make a clock for someone but have no idea what to charge. Costs to me are about £22. I have made in the past as gifts and for family without charge. What would people be willing to pay? The steel 'hoops' are 450mm x 40mm x 6mm, sanded with angle grinder and given two coats of matt lacquer. The timber in the photograph is elm but anything could be used and is coated with a matt mineral oil.

The other photo included is a bit of Yew ready to turn into a clock. It is coated with matt mineral oil

Though and suggestions on improvements would be welcome also.

Thanks.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Clock Projects

Postby StevieB » 07 Jun 2019, 08:21

Several ways to approach this, largely depending on who it is that wants the clock!

Charge from zero up to materials only (close friends and family)
Charge for materials plus a bit for your time eg £30-40 if you are doing it for someone that would expect to pay (plus one request may lead to others, and if you are doing lots do you really want to be doing them at cost?)
Charge for fully costed time plus materials plus contribution to equipment/consumables if a commercial venture, reducing slightly to build sales, allow for special offers etc

An alternative is to look what you could get something for similar elsewhere and be in the same ballpark. Remember words like Bespoke, Unique, Individually Crafted and Handmade indicate a higher price, but don't be so expensive you cannot sell enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I like the last board - looks like a planet :D
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2019, 08:29

The clock in a ring I have not seen the like of before. I might have been tempted to use larger hands though.

Are you planning to cut that piece of yew similar to the ring clocks? That would be a shame.

I used some mother of pearl dots (think guitar fret board) for hour markers. On heavily grained wood like that yew they might not work.

As for pricing I have no idea. If I were to charge it would cease to be a hobby for me and put me under too much pressure.

I look forward to see how you get on.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 07 Jun 2019, 09:39

Thanks for your input. I had thought somewhere around £60. I may have to speak with a 'word-smith' to come up with more expensive descriptions!

mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jun 2019, 08:42

While browsing other things I came across this.

Maybe of interest

https://www.turningforprofit.com/the-nu ... your-work/
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 17 Jun 2019, 13:44

Thanks for that Andy - will have read of that later on!

mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP