It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:57

Crooked stile field gate

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Crooked stile field gate

Postby Johnfarris657 » 04 Jul 2019, 21:21

This is my first project posting on here and my first time making a crooked stile field gate.

Tomorrow I am off to the wood yard with my cutlist in hand to pick my timber. Last time I picked up iroko I managed to bring back some worm so I am hoping for better this time.

Not to sure what thickness I will be getting as I will make that decision when I see quality of the boards they have in.

My method is to try and get the longest lengths first on my cutlist out of a board and then work the shorter lengths in afterwards. Going to be taking a white pencil to mark the boards which is another first as I normally use a ordinary pencil.

I normally add 200mm onto a length for snipe what does everyone else allow?

The gate design I have gone for is one that I have seen repeated in various places were I live and also on the internet. Their a few things I still need to work out like
should I use though mortice and tenons on the top and bottom rails or stub mortise and tenon?
Also with the bottom rails do I haunch?

I would like to better understand what I am making and the reasons why the design is so often used. I am thinking its the triangle ( Hanging stile and bottom rail,brace) that is what gives the gate is strength.

If anyone has any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Below is my gate uncompleted drawings I still have to draw in the second brace and taper on the top rail.

Thanks for looking

John

Field gate dimensions.jpg
(103.88 KiB)
Attachments
Field gate exploded..jpg
(92.72 KiB)
Johnfarris657
Seedling

Name:

Re: Crooked stile field gate

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2019, 08:34

Can't wait! Looking forward to watching this.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2019, 08:34

If possible I think I'd bring the bottom rail up a few inches so you are not putting mortices so near the ends of the verticals.
Caveat: I'm no expert and not made anything like this before.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 05 Jul 2019, 13:53

I have only ever made a much smaller gate and I did everything possible to reduce the amount of exposed end grain which, in my experience, is the most likely spot of moisture ingress and therefore rot. Therefore stub M&Ts would be my preference.
I also made sure there was no exposed end grain on a horizontal surface by putting the rails inside the stiles, which I know is not the traditional way of doing things and may not work for your design. Full details of what I did and why can be seen on this topic thread.
viewtopic.php?p=1262#p1262

I would have liked to make full size gates for the drive too but my 3mx3m workshop does not lend itself to projects that large.

I look forward to seeing yours progress.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Projects & WIP