It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:09

End grain cutting board.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

End grain cutting board.

Postby RogerM » 22 Aug 2019, 18:08

We need a wedding gift for our nephew who is getting married in September, and on viewing the wedding present list, most items were pretty ephemeral - like zip wire rides on honeymoon. We want to give something that will last a little longer so I have decided to make them an end grain cutting board. Never having made one before, I used a free plan from MTM Wood for a 3D cutting board.

The instructions are pretty easy to follow so I won't repeat them excessively here.

I had some American Cherry and Beech left over from previous projects which pretty much dictated what the 2 contrasting timbers were going to be. Unfortunately I didn't have enough beech from one plank to ensure consistency of colour, but hoped that the difference wouldn't be too displeasing.

DSCF2295-1.jpg
(228.76 KiB)

Ideally the plan calls for a 13 inch planer, but I just have the standard 10 inch. However, I do have a 16 inch drum sander and that is good enough when combined with the planer. Whilst ideally the planks you are cutting from should be the same thickness, it doesn't matter if they are not. I'm quite pleased with the result, but when I make one for ourselves I will make sure that all pieces come from the same planks.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: End grain cutting board.

Postby Rod » 22 Aug 2019, 18:45

Very nice - way too good to be chopped upon.

I like the variation in the block sizes

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Aug 2019, 18:53

Very nice Rog. I've tried making these things out of maple and never had much success as they always seemed to de-laminate on me which was infuriating :cry: , so now we make do with some MDF things from JL - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 22 Aug 2019, 20:13

Nice job. What adhesive did you use?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 22 Aug 2019, 20:16

Woodster wrote:Nice job. What adhesive did you use?

Thanks. I used Titebond 3 and the finish is Chestnut Products Food Safe finish and beeswax.

Woodbloke wrote:Very nice Rog. I've tried making these things out of maple and never had much success as they always seemed to de-laminate on me which was infuriating :cry: , so now we make do with some MDF things from JL - Rob

Thanks Rob. Time will tell. I suspect it will end up in a dark cupboard and never see the light of day! Maybe used as an occasional cheese board rather than a cutting board. :cry:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Andyp » 23 Aug 2019, 07:15

Thats gorgeous, the pattern is stunning.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Aug 2019, 08:55

Very nice. Looks similar to one that The Wood Whisperer made a few years back.

Yours is more detailed though.

[youtube]m08XLrcaXWk[/youtube]
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Aug 2019, 17:29

I was in M&S in Southampton a few years ago looking at their stuff and happened across a rather pricy end grain butchers block, trolly thingie...and it was delaminating at one corner! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 23 Aug 2019, 18:18

Woodbloke wrote:I was in M&S in Southampton a few years ago looking at their stuff and happened across a rather pricy end grain butchers block, trolly thingie...and it was delaminating at one corner! - Rob
We have one commercially made one. It started to delaminate in one place after a few years. I split it in two, jointed it flat, and reglued. The wood seemed very dry so I put it through the drum sander and oiled the surface until it would absorb no more and then put a coat of beeswax on it. So far so good. It's held despite being used daily. I think I'll build a new one for ourselves and see how it wears. It's very easy to glue starve the joints, and it doesn't take many glue starved joints to have a failure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Return to Projects & WIP