It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:54

Stool DUN

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Stool DUN

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2020, 12:48

RogerS wrote:Surely easier just to reduce the length of the legs ? :eusa-whistle:

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Feb 2020, 18:20

RogerS wrote:Surely easier just to reduce the length of the legs ? :eusa-whistle:

Then your rear would be closer to the ground, not a stool anymore but a highchair for the kids.

:lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Feb 2020, 19:41

Coley wrote:Regarding the holes, I thought epoxy maintained its strength even if gappy? Would a slot in the joining dowel allowed the epoxy to escape? I wonder if the footrest may have looked better on the back of the legs or better still morticed inbetween?

It does I think and there aren't any gaps; as for a slot in the dowel, they happen to be 12mm thick solid steel threaded dowels, each one is 150mm long. You might choose to make a slot down the length, but it's not something I was going to do :D. If they were morticed in between, the assembly of the front legs would have been a nightmare; it was bad enough as it was.

Mike G wrote:Lovely, lovely stools.............except for that footrest, I'm afraid.

Thanks Mike, but as the man said ''you can fool all the people some of the time etc, but I was mightly chuffed to receive an almost instant offer of purchase when the pics were posted on InstaG, so they can't be too shabby n'est pas? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2020, 19:48

A grinder in threaded bar would have made light work of making a groove length ways. The sheer quality is obvious to anyone but I have to query the addition of 'woodworm' holes when an alternative was easy to achieve? They look fantastic regardless

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Feb 2020, 00:16

Coley wrote:A grinder in threaded bar would have made light work of making a groove length ways. The sheer quality is obvious to anyone but I have to query the addition of 'woodworm' holes when an alternative was easy to achieve? They look fantastic regardless

Fair enough, that's doable, but I chose to make some little 'oles. To be fair, once you see the stools 'in the wood" you don't really notice the holes as they appear to be highlighted by the pics - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP