It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:00

Fan steps

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Fan steps

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2019, 18:55

When we bought the house, there were two semi-circular steps leading down from the hall to the sitting room. They were made from chipboard and covered in carpet. We don't 'do' carpet and so something is required.

Here's the 'hole'...something weird about the colorimetry of my phone as the actual colour of the floorboards is nowhere near that colour.

and for once the God's have been beneficent as the floorboards are pretty much centred on the doorway. Good planning on my part when I laid them :eusa-liar:

I'm thinking something along this line (top step only shown properly)

The curved vertical will be oak-veneered ply or MDF ...thin enough to bend round that radius (470mm)...mounted onto some sort of framework.

I think it needs that top semi-circular piece near the edge to act as a sort of visual marker that there is a step. No idea what to make that from. I've probably got some veneer but not constructional.

The segments were going to be constructional veneer but I think that's probably a bad idea and better to use solid wood. Thinking of pippy oak for one but for the other ? Cherry ? All suggestions welcome.

The beading round the edge of the step will be oak and I plan to cheat and see if Tyler Hardwoods can steam bend something for me.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Fan steps

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2019, 19:05

EDIT: Chief Designer has vetoed contrasting woods :(

Might be able to make something interesting out of a different wood but not oak. But whether it should be fan shaped or not, not clear to me now.

Revisit the veneer idea? There's only the two of us so we'll not wear it down.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerM » 08 Dec 2019, 19:07

RogerS wrote:EDIT: Chief Designer has vetoed contrasting woods :(

Might be able to make something interesting out of a different wood but not oak. But whether it should be fan shaped or not, not clear to me now.

I would think that veneer would be fine, especially if you saw your own structural veneers, say 2mm thick. After all, it's fine for engineered flooring.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2019, 19:09

RogerM wrote:
RogerS wrote:EDIT: Chief Designer has vetoed contrasting woods :(

I would think that veneer would be fine, especially if you saw your own structural veneers, say 2mm thick. After all, it's fine for engineered flooring.

No bandsaw good enough ! It'll be Crispin probably if we go that route. I do have a lot of veneer but suspect it's too thin.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Dec 2019, 21:13

I think I'd go for straight steps with significant radiussed ends/corners.

To me your semicircles seem to protrude too much.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 08 Dec 2019, 22:15

Oooh, Roger!!!! Don't do a semi-circle. They always look wrong. The Greeks generally used 5/8ths for columns-against-walls, and 3/8ths for steps. Move the centrepoint back 9 inches into the hall. You'll thank me, I promise.

As for the curved risers.......just do them in kerfed 12mm ply, and laminate onto that. A doddle for a man of your calibre.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2019, 22:39

Thanks both..definitely food for thought. Slight problem with moving the centre point back possibly as I did put in a bit of manky floorboard thinking it would be covered by the steps. Still might...fingers crossed. In extremis it's only a small piece and I could remove it and replace using the Fein to cut it out.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Dec 2019, 17:37

Bang on the money, Mike

You can just about make out the outline of the smaller top step.

We've decided to extend the floorboards from the hall into the top step rather than have any fancy fan work. Or rather LOML has decided !

The elevations will be veneered by me using some European Walnut. Chief Designer always prefers having something to look at rather than look at stuff on a computer screen.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Dec 2019, 18:15

I’m pleased you have dropped the fan. Although nice I think you have enough to do already.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 09 Dec 2019, 19:23

Andyp wrote:I’m pleased you have dropped the fan. Although nice I think you have enough to do already.

:D It gets even better. While searching various wood types on veneered board, I came across one site that would cut to size for you and sell you just the bits you need. Good price as well. Well, while cutting out the samples in the photos I was mulling about how to cut the bits and pieces, router, trammel, getting large sheets of ply in then having bits kicking around and cluttering the workshop up etc etc/

Then :idea:

Maybe there was a company out there who could cut ALL the pieces for me, the part-circles, the substrate verticals for the steps etc etc. And there is ! So I'm gonna cheat :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP