It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

New portable workbench

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

New portable workbench

Postby woodstalker » 16 Mar 2020, 22:21

So I have not been totally idle over the wet weather winter. I have moved into the single garage which has been extended slightly and the majority of junk has been kicked out; it is still a bit on the small side.

So my logic was that i can collapse it down and go off and help my mates with a bit of DIY and if I need to use the space for temporary storage i can put it out the way.

So I downloaded the Ron Paulk plans and had a crack at it. Pretty pleased how it turned out although there where a fair few c*ck ups on the way.

Anyhow here you go, proof i did it:

IMG_0109.jpg
(438.57 KiB)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: New portable workbench

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Mar 2020, 22:26

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 16 Mar 2020, 22:48

It looks like something for keeping score on for a big game of cribbage.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 17 Mar 2020, 18:55

Looks excellent :eusa-clap: I just wish I had room for a full sheet MFT bench such a useful addition to the workshop
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Mar 2020, 21:30

Mike G wrote:It looks like something for keeping score on for a big game of cribbage.

....and one for 'is nob!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 17 Mar 2020, 22:57

Doug wrote:Looks excellent :eusa-clap: I just wish I had room for a full sheet MFT bench such a useful addition to the workshop

That was the plan; it’s a bit of a squeeze but does mean I can breakdown a full sheet of ply just about without having to go out in the rain :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Mar 2020, 08:15

Just what size of vehicle does one need in order to port such table :) it looks huge.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 18 Mar 2020, 13:13

Andyp wrote:Just what size of vehicle does one need in order to port such table :) it looks huge.

It’s less than the area of a sheet of ply, the top splits in two down its length and the legs are folding saw horses so it’s reasonably portable.

https://youtu.be/KnNi6Tpp-ac
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Mar 2020, 14:44

Ah, I see.
I didn't notice the join nor those clamps to hold it together. I'll watch the vid later.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 18 Mar 2020, 15:20

Andyp wrote:Ah, I see.
I didn't notice the join nor those clamps to hold it together. I'll watch the vid later.

I used some sash window catches either end and a dowel to locate it in the same place either end too.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 05 Dec 2020, 00:37

So i filled the area on the right with wood, drawers and other paraphernalia and wasn't making best use of the full size of the table. Being as my workshop is a bit diddy in size i have been making some adjustments to the portable workbench.

Before:
E97B4E60-D034-43BF-A619-9F9907532DEA.jpeg
(411.22 KiB)

Still portable, as in i can take the two halves and the saw horse style legs to the site of work if required but i now have one of the halves on a frame on wheels and the other half folded down behind it. It means if i need to i can pull the bench out and add the second half to deal with a full sheet of ply etc but it is not there up permanently closing down some of the space I have in the shop.

After:
IMG_1073.JPG
(287.61 KiB)

So i plan to make drawers to go under the table saw bit and then at least two of the bays under the main bench to increase storage.

Next plan is to finally get the big dust collector up and running but will need to move some bits about to clear enough wall space to mount it. Got two "Simple" plank desks to make now that SWMBO and I are both working from home full time.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 05 Dec 2020, 00:48

Nice work.

I have a full sheet temporary bench in my temporary workshop and one thing I highly recommend for your set up. When space is at a premium, it makes a lot of difference to have your extraction and power cable for things like tracksaw and router, coming in from overhead. Mine doesn't as it is not worth the bother with a temporary set up, so I am constantly tripping over hose and cables, but in my main workshop all the sockets are high up and so is the extraction routing. I really miss this where I am working now (close to the fit location).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 05 Dec 2020, 09:47

I’ve got a shop vac cyclone setup at the far end of the work bench and the hose was coming along the back of the bench with the shop vac under the bench so I can use the power take off for the power tool I’m using. The big dust extractor is mainly for the planer/thicknesser so there should only be the one big flexi hose for that. I am year to get the sparky in for the sockets in the newer part of the workshop but will make sure they are relatively high up.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Dec 2020, 11:16

Smart use of the space.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 05 Dec 2020, 11:30

Malc2098 wrote:Smart use of the space.

Thanks Malc, it’s pretty narrow and since I seem to save every tiny off-cut of wood the space seems to full up pretty quick! I’ve got a new planer thicknesser coming next week and need some space (and the chip extractor)

What I hadn’t realised when I sold my old one and my little bandsaw is how out of stock everything is and the lead times. Had the planer thicknesser delivered last week but watched as the courier dropped the box getting out of the van and so opened it to check and found it was damaged so refused delivery. Which means I have to wait for the courier to return it to the shop before I get a refund and it’s out of stock with them again now. Ended up ordering from elsewhere for a bit more and keeping my fingers crossed it all works out!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Dec 2020, 11:56

Ouch!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Return to Projects & WIP