It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:34

Another end grain chopping board design #3

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Another end grain chopping board attempt

Postby 9fingers » 03 Apr 2020, 12:28

Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Another end grain chopping board attempt

Postby Robert » 03 Apr 2020, 14:40

No.

Might be interesting to compare their strip width ratios for the 'bubble' design to mine on that second site but it's all in inches and I work in mm so CBA :)

Beyond that not sure they help me much. Probably more help to someone without CAD ability. Like the weave pattern but that's not '3D'. Interesting find though. I'd never looked beyond youtube.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Another end grain chopping board attempt x4

Postby Robert » 05 May 2020, 13:18

Remember this?

Well I'm still working on it :)

I'm making 4 of them at once. They are for family gifts and I'll need 5 to keep everyone happy. Not sure if I'll make another design or give someone the one I made first in this thread.

It's all recycled wood so it was never going to be easy. The darker stuff is old window boards from our long demolished conservatory and the lighter is Maple flooring strips I bought from ebay for a fiver. Most of the money on this job has gone on wood glue!

I glued the materials into thick planks (no pictures) then band sawed the planks into strips of different thicknesses. After each cut I planed the cut face on the board before cutting the next strip so all had one good face. Then thicknessed to exact size.

Sorting was a continuing nightmare but I got them glued into half cutting board widths.

The half widths would fit the planer thicknesser so that helped. When it came to glue 2 sets to make a whole board I found I should have had a stronger straight edge when clamping as there was a slight banana to the edge. Took off the absolute minimum as I didn't want to spoil the pattern then glued them.

Cut square then a wipe with varnish on the end for some encouragement. Loads of work in these.

Now I need end grain so cut to a bit over cutting board thickness.

looking at what I had I could only get 2 boards out of it with a fair bit left over. So I scaled the drawing in one direction by 0.8x. That meant I now had rectangular boards instead of square but I could get 4 of them.

So these blocks need cutting into strips. Can you spot the problem?

They are fragile and like to curve while you look at them.

Had to buy some mitre adhesive as mine was old and didn't work any more.

After my earlier banana clamping I found a lump of solid steel press tooling I'd kept from the business and a piece of square steel tube as my clamping straight edges.

I did a lot of this

There is polythene underneath.

I have done more and will update again but that took a lot of typing so it can wait :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 13 May 2020, 14:55

Now where was I...

The metal straight edged bars worked a treat and the glued half cutting boards had straight edges. This is putting 2 of them together. The thinnest cross cut strips are only 3mm thick and very fragile and some went on now. 2 on each outer edge went on with the oak surround and 3 in the middle now.

vertical alignment was a problem sometimes due to dried glue drips. I did take the worst off before glueing

Needed encouragement so a run over with the sander and a wash with white spirit

2 at one go in glue up. Start of the oak framing.

So on to flattening and no pictures of the bit in between where I finished edging the boards with oak and then edged them again with some OSB or a bit of MDF as sacrificial edges. I had a 2 x 4 ft lump of 25mm veneered MDF in the shed so that became the bed of my 'mill'. I planed and thicknessed 2 pieces of CLS timber and clamped them to the panel. Then I realised I could clamp the cutting board with the battens.

Thought it might be nice to be able to see through the 'bridge' with the router mounted to it so i use a piece of clear polycarbonate as the base. The sides are MDF. It almost worked but the polcarb was a bit springy and let the router wobble slightly. fitting the guide bars and wood packer sorted it. marks on 20mm pitch gave me something to look at. i used a 25mm cutter.

After a pass

Surface finish was a bit coarse but OK

I took 1mm cuts by putting a ruler on top of the battens to lift the 'bridge' the lowered the cutter (router off) on to the work and locked the height. remove the rulers and back to work. Took a few passes sometimes.

Slow job but satisfying that it works

Got there in the end. These blocks stopped me machining the battens

It was a messy job as the extraction didn't pick up that much

There were cutter lines but they were very shallow

OSB removed

Sanding with the ROS then a thin coat of clear resin to fill the odd hole and to seal the darker wood which is softer than the maple. Also makes it look good :)

Before and after type picture

I've sanded all but what soaked in of that resin off now but that's as far as I've got so they look like the before shots again now but pop when they have a finish applied. I'm making something else now so these are on hold but I'll update when i get them finished.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 13 May 2020, 18:01

:text-coolphotos:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2020, 18:27

The sort of pattern that would give me a migraine but very well done.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Another end grain chopping board design #3

Postby Robert » 04 Jul 2020, 14:30

I did finish the 4 boards off in the end and after a cook in the sun a couple of weeks ago I fitted rubber feet and called them done.

Based on the number of family and friends that would receive these I needed one more board. So time to make it. I wanted to do a different design and had seen one that looked straight forward. It was just a matter of cutting boards at 60 degrees and sticking the bits together.

Problem is the one I'd seen used boards that were 40mm thick. My floorboard stock ends up at about 16mm thick once machined clean.

So I'll just make a finer pattern.

Oak mahogany and maple 60 degree diamonds. probably easy for someone with a good saw. Took a lot of messing about to get consistency and accuracy with the axminster TS 200. Put the 3 together with masking tape...cut the tape so they lay flat....slap some glue on then bind them with some PVC tape I'll never use for electrics.

using a board for size I start cross cutting the rods.

Only 140 pieces to deburr and then glue together!

I bought yet another bottle of D4 glue. Glueing this lot is going to take some planning. Think I have to do it all at once.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerM » 04 Jul 2020, 14:44

Those first 4 boards look as though they have turned out well. I'm sure their recipients will be well pleased to receive them.

Your approach to the 5th one looks to be exacting. Presumably you've seen this video of an alternative approach?

[youtube]5n0LdU8ZOJU[/youtube]
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Robert » 04 Jul 2020, 15:00

Yes i have seen that.

All MTM's stuff turns out well but they use a awful lot of prime timber. There is so much waste in many of the videos of the cutting too. I don't have any prime timber - this is all recycled stuff and I haven't wasted much in the making. So I'm giving myself more problems but if it works I will have used much less wood.

Oh and their board has joint lines across the light squares which mine doesn't :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jul 2020, 15:32

Proper job.....even if my eyes do go wobbly! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Jul 2020, 17:01

Malc2098 wrote:Proper job.....even if my eyes do go wobbly! :D

Agreed, and mine go wibbly-wobbly as well. I think I'd need to take a couple of Paracetamol (that's why they're difficult to get hold of sometimes...'cos the parrots 'et 'em all :lol: ) were I to ever cut a couple of slabs of bread on one - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jul 2020, 17:20

[quote="Robert"Glueing this lot is going to take some planning. Think I have to do it all at once.[/quote]

Been thinking about this glue-up. 140 pieces at once is just going to be too stressful!

If you make a jig with two parallel battens spaced by the diagonal dimension of your hexagons you should be able to glue up a diagonal row to form the longest diagonal* of your board. A sash clamp can hold along the length of the row.
Once the glue has go off, unscrew one of the guide battens and use the first row as a guide to add further diagonal rows.

* Note the diagonal is not a true corner to corner line but at 60 degrees to one edge.

good luck

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 04 Jul 2020, 18:08

The cross cuts were pretty clean but it still took ages to get the burrs off. Done now and the hexagons fit together surprisingly well.

Glueing a single row sounds like trouble to me. Keeping it straight and nothing twisting and worrying about glue squeeze out fouling up corners is all too difficult.

Current plan for glueing is to make a secure right angle upstand on a polythene coated board then just stack the pieces in once coated with glue and clamp the whole thing with battens to the square corner. All at once kind of thing.

Bit of old towel in a tray soaked in glue as an applicator. Roll the hexagon and place it and hope to get through them all before the first ones dry :lol:
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 05 Jul 2020, 17:27

I tried out the clamping first with no glue

Seemed to work OK but the corner away from my right angle lifted off the board slightly under the clamp pressure. Gaps were mostly from my deburring and as the surface will be milled down it doesn't matter.

My glue pad. A bit of felt taped to the polythene and soaked in glue. Had to top it up every 10 to 15 hexagons but rolling them was pretty quick.

Glued up and clamped. the end pressure board is now long so i can clamp it down to the board and prevent lifting.

And here it is glued. Distortion is down to the phone camera. It is square not tapered!

Twice during the gluing I had to break the pack and turn a hexagon over as it was the wrong way round.
Looking at the picture I've just seen I should have broken it 3 times as one is upside down. grrr.

If it is more than one I don't want to know.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2020, 17:32

Well done, That Man!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2020, 17:50

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 05 Jul 2020, 18:02

So did you spot the rogue hexagon?
Robert
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 05 Jul 2020, 18:10

Robert wrote:So did you spot the rogue hexagon?
5 rows up, 3 from the right.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 19:35

DaveL wrote:
5 rows up, 3 from the right.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

:text-+1: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 05 Jul 2020, 22:43

Bottom row, fifth from right... :eusa-shhh:

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jul 2020, 09:37

Yup, and the one you don’t want to know about...

;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerM » 06 Jul 2020, 09:45

TrimTheKing wrote:

Yup, and the one you don’t want to know about...

;)

:text-lol: :text-bravo:

Robert - that glue-up has gone far better than I would have believed possible with so many pieces. Well done. Looking forward to seeing the finished and oiled article.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 06 Jul 2020, 15:16

I've thrown my toys out of the pram during far simpler glue ups than that.

If there is a next time, a pencilled arrow on each piece during the dry run might help.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 06 Jul 2020, 15:59

If there is ever a next time I'll get the pencil or marker pen out. Good idea.

So I need straight edges instead of castellated

I cut more off than necessary so I could stick it back on again :)

That lump of wood has clear packing tape on the face

Same idea for the ends

Trued the edges up on the planer once the glue was dry then managed to get the edging on before calling it a day.

Sacrificial edging next and then 'milling' it flat.
Robert
Old Oak

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP