It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:40

Another Little Quirky Project

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Another Little Quirky Project

Postby Pinch » 20 May 2020, 19:32

When Mrs P and I walk the houndies down the lane everyday to a field, I'm subconsciously looking out for fallen woody things and ivy on trees. There are a couple of trees with some interesting ivy attached to them, but I would need to find out who the trees belongs to before removing the ivy - which will do the tree a favour as well.

Over the last few weeks, I've notice a few pieces of rotting wood on the embankment lane side which has probably been there for years. I've umm'd & arrrrr'd about it for a while and then a week or so ago, after dropping the houndies off at home, I walked back with a bag and picked up the rotting pieces of wood. I'm thinking candle holders or something ornamental.

My question is; does anyone know of a solution which can clean the wood and stabilize/harden it from further rotting?

I know some folk might be against picking up rotting wood as it probably homes insect life, but I don't think there's much life in these bits of wood anymore.

Much appreciated if anyone knows of something to treat these bits of old wood. 8-)

1.JPG
(467.34 KiB)

2.JPG
(569.03 KiB)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Another Little Quirky Project

Postby 9fingers » 20 May 2020, 22:07

Gentle micowaving to dry and kill anything still crawling, cool then vacuum impregnate with PEG perhaps?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 21 May 2020, 07:05

A wood hardener perhaps?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike Jordan » 21 May 2020, 08:45

In the days when Flint and steel was used to create fire, one of the favoured types of tinder was carefully dried rotten wood. So I am forced to question your use of the word "thinking" when suggesting candle holders. The idea that drilling a hole to take a tupenny tea light rates as craftsmanship seems to be rife at craft fairs and similar events, please have second thoughts about this and stick to something ornamental, not more bl--- y candle holder,fire starter kits.
I'm sure that most people would also be wary of a gift of a piece of worm infested wood to display on their nice oak sideboard, no matter what assurances you give about treatments used.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby Pinch » 21 May 2020, 09:24

9fingers wrote:Gentle micowaving to dry and kill anything still crawling, cool then vacuum impregnate with PEG perhaps?

Bob

Cheers Bob - I hadn't thought of the microwave. The bits might just fit in ours.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 May 2020, 09:26

Andyp wrote:A wood hardener perhaps?

Cheers Andy - Yes, I'm currently researching wood hardeners. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 May 2020, 09:31

Mike Jordan wrote:In the days when Flint and steel was used to create fire, one of the favoured types of tinder was carefully dried rotten wood. So I am forced to question your use of the word "thinking" when suggesting candle holders. The idea that drilling a hole to take a tupenny tea light rates as craftsmanship seems to be rife at craft fairs and similar events, please have second thoughts about this and stick to something ornamental, not more bl--- y candle holder,fire starter kits.
I'm sure that most people would also be wary of a gift of a piece of worm infested wood to display on their nice oak sideboard, no matter what assurances you give about treatments used.

Cheers Mike.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my opening post... These pieces are planned to be used on the garden table during a summer's evening when I've prepared and served a romantic meal to my good lady, followed by a bit of serenading - just the job. 8-)

[youtube]NoWbTkCOcSI[/youtube]
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 21 May 2020, 10:13

I am sure you will put any candles, tea lights or otherwise, indoors or out, into proper glass or metal holders and not direct into the wood.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 22 May 2020, 07:48

Andyp wrote:I am sure you will put any candles, tea lights or otherwise, indoors or out, into proper glass or metal holders and not direct into the wood.

Absolutely. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP