It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:47

A Salutary Tale...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

A Salutary Tale...

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jul 2020, 13:04

In 2017 I bought (for a very reasonable sum...a fiver :D ) a very inauspicious board of London Plane from the very top of the log, so there was a lot of sap and bark; however I thought there was enough to get out a small cabinet with a solid, curved door:

IMG_4744.jpg
(193.52 KiB)

IMG_4697.jpg
(311.58 KiB)

The pics show the cabinet sans door as I'd taken it off by then as it appears the timber wasn't quite dry enough when it was made; as a consequence it had bowed and twisted over the last couple of years. I thought if I planed it flat, there would be enough 'meat' in the bowed and twisted wood to get out a 12mm thick, straight panel for another door. I had some more dry London Plane (of which more later :D ) so yesterday I very diligently made a new door with a flat panel, where the vertical styles would be slightly shaped to follow the contour of the base. So good, so far...I made a super-duper job of the door (if I say so meself :lol:; proper Krenovian matched grain etc etc ) except that when I offered it up to the cabinet.....

IMG_4743.jpg
(114.57 KiB)

...it was about 30mm too short :eusa-whistle: :eusa-violin: :eusa-violin:

No way to fix it, no way to make a monumental cock-up into a feature, so it had to be another door.

As luck would have it, I bought a few very tolerable green boards a couple of years ago, again for a very reasonable price. One chunk I already had in the 'shop...

IMG_4745.jpg
(135.17 KiB)

...was pretty spectacular and cost the grand sum of £8 8-) but was too narrow for a new panel, so this morning I went and delved under the tarp outside and extracted another nice lump of London Plane...

IMG_4747.jpg
(188.74 KiB)

...which cost the miserly sum of a tenner; 75mm thick :eusa-whistle:

With some careful cutting on the big bandsaw, I sorted out some oversize pieces for another door:

IMG_4750.jpg
(191.03 KiB)

A couple of weeks ago, SWIMBO treated me to a new moisture meter from 'the old firm' and what a brilliant bit of kit it is!! When I tested the wood it had a MC of 14.5%...

IMG_4748.jpg
(439.21 KiB)

...so all the wood is now conditioning for a month or two in the 'shop, when hopefully it should be less than 10% MC.

Every cloud has a silver lining though, so look what I've ended up with :D

IMG_4751.jpg
(221.05 KiB)

Lacewood! The door I made yesterday is too good to be used as 'bandsaw fodder' so it'll be kept for another cabinet, possibly with drawers and a stand..who knows? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: A Salutary Tale...

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Jul 2020, 13:08

Phew!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 17 Jul 2020, 13:12

Good find in your stash of timber. I do love the grain patterns you have in some of that.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 17 Jul 2020, 13:15

I've never worked with London Plane. If I ever come across any, I'm going to remedy that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jul 2020, 13:51

Mike G wrote:I've never worked with London Plane. If I ever come across any, I'm going to remedy that.

Wonderful, fantabulous stuff...as good as, if not better than, English Walnut - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jul 2020, 16:09

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:I've never worked with London Plane. If I ever come across any, I'm going to remedy that.

Wonderful, fantabulous stuff...as good as, if not better than, English Walnut - Rob

With all that lovely grain patterning can it be difficult to plane Rob?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 18 Jul 2020, 13:35

I’ve got two chunks of the stuff, very heavy and dense but very easy to work.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jul 2020, 16:38

Rod wrote:I’ve got two chunks of the stuff, very heavy and dense but very easy to work.

Rod

Interesting Rod, you must have something different? This is about the same weight as Walnut and works in a similar manner; lighter than oak though - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jul 2020, 16:54

Woodbloke wrote:
Rod wrote:I’ve got two chunks of the stuff, very heavy and dense but very easy to work.

Rod

Interesting Rod, you must have something different? This is about the same weight as Walnut and works in a similar manner; lighter than oak though - Rob

My "wood book" gives the density as 0.62 g/cu cm.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jul 2020, 09:43

9fingers wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Rod

My "wood book" gives the density as 0.62 g/cu cm.
Bob

Using a converter on Google, that equates to a gnats under 39lbs/cu ft in old money which seems about right - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Jul 2020, 12:27

Going through some old snaps on FB I came across these two which show the original cabinet door and drawer:

IMG_4797.jpg
(123.04 KiB)

The door's solid and was fine when it was fitted, but 'the wood moved' :eusa-whistle: and it became very 'gappy' at the top.

This is the original drawer, with a tiny pull in African Blackwood that fitted just inside the curvature of the door;

IMG_4798.jpg
(215.51 KiB)

I've just started to re-make the drawer this morning as it, like the door, didn't fit properly - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Jul 2020, 13:47

It seems a shame, cannot you just amend them?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Jul 2020, 16:07

Rod wrote:It seems a shame, cannot you just amend them?

Rod

They were past 'amending' Rod :lol: The MC of the timber milled a few days ago for the door is dropping nicely but it's going to be a week or three before it gets down to around 7-8%. The drawer side(s) material (cut to 6mm thickness) has been in the 'shop for ages so it's well dry - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Sep 2020, 22:13

The new door, second time around has been made and fitted, along with a new drawer:

IMG_4877.jpg
(81.33 KiB)

IMG_4878.jpg
(118.59 KiB)

The vertical door stiles are slightly curved to follow the front profile:

IMG_4884.jpg
(160.17 KiB)

...and the rails sit slightly lower. Unusually for me, the panel has a curved profile routed into the edge rather than a dead square one. I also fitted a tiny turned boxwood door pull on the side.

The drawer is fairly routine Ingamish sort of affair, which runs on a boxwood runner screwed to the base. Sides are 6mm quarter sawn oak, with drawer slips and an applied London Plane front which is 8mm thick.

IMG_4879.jpg
(139.96 KiB)

IMG_4880.jpg
(162.7 KiB)

IMG_4882.jpg
(142.38 KiB)

I had to leave the components for several weeks after initial cutting for the MC to drop then they were progressively skimmed to check there was no further movement before jointing. Finished with a couple of coats of satin Osmo PolyX with a decent slathering of Kirjes wax from CHT over the top and finally polished with a soft duster - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 02 Sep 2020, 11:22

Lovely little draw! At that size, could the bottom have been a single piece?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Sep 2020, 12:00

MattS wrote:Lovely little draw! At that size, could the bottom have been a single piece?

Nope; the drawer bottom is in two lumps 'cos of the central Boxwood runner - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Sep 2020, 12:02

Yeahbut.......did it need a central runner?

Rob, I presume your little gathering planned for this month has been cancelled. Is that right?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Sep 2020, 13:55

Mike G wrote:Yeahbut.......did it need a central runner?

Rob, I presume your little gathering planned for this month has been cancelled. Is that right?

No drawer actually 'needs' a central runner, it's just the way that Rob Ingham builds his and the way I do them now as well. The reason they're done thus is that the planted front allows scope for Rob to do some very fancy :shock: veneered inlay work where the pattern is spread over several drawer fronts. Doing the same thing with a conventional drawer front(s) made from solid timber ain't impossible, but it's a lot easier to do it with ones that are planted.

Yep, you're correct. The ECGS 'doo' scheduled for later on this month will now take place next year - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP