It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:43

Wine Rack

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Wine Rack

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Aug 2020, 11:11

A couple of weekends ago we had No.1 son visit us with his new Canadian partner (very 'decorative' btw :eusa-whistle: ) and he happened to mention that a Wine Rack would be a good project from the WoD (Workshop of Dad) and ''could I do them one, please?"

They wanted a floor standing, six bottle jobbie with two on the floor and three up. I normally don't do this sort of project, 'cos they're a complete and utter pain in the ar$e but in a moment of lunacy I said I would. That said, I had a load of oak offcuts loafing around and this seemed a good enough way of getting shot of them :D

These things sound easy (and they're not too taxing on the electrons as Mike G would have it :lol: ) but it's quite tricky to sort out a compact design that will also hold a variety of different sized bottles of vino collapso. Our particular favourite red comes in a bottle that has a diameter of around 90mm so each orifice was made a tad larger.

Construction of the main frame(s) was by using bandsawn bridle joints which are the easiest things to do provided your machine is set up spot on:

IMG_4863.jpg
(145.48 KiB)

The rest of the build has been done using 8mm dowels and Torx screws. Each part had to be individually polished and waxed before assembly, so it's taken around a week to get the bloody thing together :evil: As an experiment, I used some Osmo Raw to finish it, which wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done as it's left one or two white 'streaks' and 'blotches' in a few places.

Fitting all the bits was a time consuming and fiddly job:

IMG_4859.jpg
(254.93 KiB)

...but once it was all complete it didn't look too shabby:

IMG_4860.jpg
(115.51 KiB)

IMG_4861.jpg
(142.9 KiB)

IMG_4862.jpg
(133.78 KiB)

I fitted a couple of bottle supports on the top so it now holds eight instead of six bottles. The extra supports only increased the overall height by 20mm so I think I've got away with it. Probably a bit OTT as these things go but I've got rid of a fair amount of Oak offcuts :D Next job is to wrap it and pack it and courier it up to Londres - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Wine Rack

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Aug 2020, 11:36

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Aug 2020, 11:49

Very good mate.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2020, 13:19

Looks good Rob.
The bottle supports look a bit chunky but not investgated bottle size variation so maybe they need to be that size?
Nicely executed as always! :text-bravo:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Aug 2020, 14:05

9fingers wrote:Looks good Rob.
The bottle supports look a bit chunky but not investgated bottle size variation so maybe they need to be that size?

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's a question of sorting out the permutations of bottle(s) dia vs the support size. I made them 20mm square but if say, they'd been 10mm the horizontal gap between them in each 'ole might have meant that a narrow Riesling bottle could have fallen through.
The way I eventually sorted it out was to do a 1:1 scale drawing and offer the bottles up to it. That seemed to work but it took a lot of faffing around to get it right - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2020, 14:08

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:Looks good Rob.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's a question of sorting out the permutations of bottle(s) dia vs the support size. I made them 20mm square but if say, they'd been 10mm the horizontal gap between them in each 'ole might have meant that a narrow Riesling bottle could have fallen through.
The way I eventually sorted it out was to do a 1:1 scale drawing and offer the bottles up to it. That seemed to work but it took a lot of faffing around to get it right - Rob

I'd rather assumed that you would have done a thorough design job Rob!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Aug 2020, 14:13

9fingers wrote:I'd rather assumed that you would have done a thorough design job Rob!

Bob

This was going to be a 'fag packet' design Bob, but I got half way through thinking about it and realised that the noble and glorious 'fag packet' approach wasn't going to work :lol: so I decided to do a proper job before it all 'went South' :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Aug 2020, 14:46

Very nice of course.

But...

it is no way big enough. 6 bottles !
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2020, 14:55

Andyp wrote:Very nice of course.

But...

I suppose it would be OK to place at the end of the dining table to save getting up during a meal :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Aug 2020, 16:44

Andyp wrote:Very nice of course.

But...

It's what the 'customer' :eusa-whistle: ordered Andy and even then I exceeded the brief by two bottles - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Aug 2020, 14:18

Looks very good, nice and compact.
BTW the bottles also look good. (Still full?? :lol: )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Aug 2020, 17:15

Phil wrote:BTW the bottles also look good. (Still full?? :lol: )

Thanks Phil, yep, the bottles are still full. The red Maris is particularly yummy (organic and no sulphites; we never seem to get a thick head with it) so when it was on offer a while back SWIMBO bought five cases (thirty bottles :shock: ) We've got three cases left so we're not doing too badly :eusa-whistle: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP