It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:27

Bed widening

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Bed widening

Postby Andyp » 20 Oct 2020, 12:15

Now this will not win any prizes nor a spot on the UKs top Woodworker and it took me longer than some around here can build a dresser :)

But it is done and the customer is happy.

the bed at 2'6"
IMG_20201020_093213658_HDR.jpg
(242.35 KiB)

the bed an 3' now with sprung beech bed slats.
IMG_20201020_104124948.jpg
(273.59 KiB)

the headboard is just laminated pine board from one of the sheds. It is a little less high than the original hence the flat top

colour matching was fun. I gave up on hard wax oil as I could not get any here within budget. Incredibly I ended up with Colron Georgian Medium Wood Dye and a 3 coats of medium oak poly varnish with wood wax on top.
IMG_20201010_152336677~2.jpg
(357.72 KiB)

And we managed to get a mattress with my daughters name on it.
IMG_20201020_104705847_HDR.jpg
(237.53 KiB)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Bed widening

Postby Mike G » 20 Oct 2020, 12:21

Andyp wrote:...... Incredibly I ended up with Colron Georgian Medium Wood Dye and a 3 coats of medium oak poly varnish with wood wax on top......

There's a lot to be said for that. I know everyone seems to think poly varnish is old hat, but after years of avoiding it it is now my finish of choice, albeit thinned and wiped off in many thin layers. The wood dye is just a sensible way of getting somewhere near the existing colour.

Anyway, it all looks grand to me. Well done.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 20 Oct 2020, 12:43

Mike G wrote:
Andyp wrote:...... Incredibly I ended up with Colron Georgian Medium Wood Dye and a 3 coats of medium oak poly varnish with wood wax on top......

There's a lot to be said for that. I know everyone seems to think poly varnish is old hat, but after years of avoiding it it is now my finish of choice, albeit thinned and wiped off in many thin layers. The wood dye is just a sensible way of getting somewhere near the existing colour.

Anyway, it all looks grand to me. Well done.

Nice job Andy. Mike's right; the old poly varnish that I used years ago is still good stuff and gives a bullet proof finish. Ronseal was the weapon of choice if I recollect - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Oct 2020, 14:05

Another vote for diluted oil based pu but recently my head has been turned a bit by Screwfix no nonsense water based satin floor varnish. Dries hard enought to de-nib in a couple of hours so with a bit of planning you can get 3-4 coats on in a day. I don't dilute it but do brush it out very thoroughly as I hate any sort of high build varnish look.
I've got some on an oak floor in one of my rentals and after 18 months is not showing any obvious wear.

It comes in a metal can which can rust after a dozen or so opening/closing cycles so I decant it into a ex emulsion paint plastic pot (washed out with warm water to shift any dried on paint).

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 20 Oct 2020, 14:31

Well the stuff I am using is a Resine Polyurethane, has no smell what so ever which is great as I can use indoors and brushes wash in water so I do not believe it is spirit based.

Details here
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -container

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 20 Oct 2020, 14:38

Andyp wrote:Well the stuff I am using is a Resine Polyurethane, has no smell what so ever which is great as I can use indoors and brushes wash in water so I do not believe it is spirit based.

Details here
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -container

That is probably similar stuff to the screwfix product. It seems to me that the first generation water based product were horrid to use with streaking and difficult to brush out before it dragged. The later generation seem lots better to use

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Oct 2020, 14:51

Proper job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Cabinetman » 20 Oct 2020, 16:05

5DB4AC89-C0C7-4631-96FF-9786C5072B73.jpeg
(287.56 KiB)

I’ve been using water-based polyurethane varnish on just about everything for years, it’s just ridiculously easy thin the first coat down a little and then another one or two. It’s dry by the time you got to the other end of what it is you’re painting. Johnstons, they also do a floor varnish which is virtually unwearoutable. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Rod » 20 Oct 2020, 17:14

I’ve got a couple of cans of oak flooring varnish left over from the extension.
I might give it a try on other items.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 23 Oct 2020, 00:30

Great job! I checked the knot pattern on the headboard to make sure you hadn't used a board stretcher. :)

I've really started to like water based polyurethane. It works much better than I expect it to, and if you follow the instructions it comes out great. The only problem I had with it was that the residue in rim of the paint can rusted the can so that I couldn't seal it the second time I used it. I wound up tossing half the can.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 23 Oct 2020, 07:06

Thanks Kirk,
The small, square, tin I have has a plastic or perhaps rubber seal on both the lid and the tin. As long as it last long enough for me to do the other bed I will be happy.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Cabinetman » 23 Oct 2020, 09:26

kirkpoore1 wrote:Great job! I checked the knot pattern on the headboard to make sure you hadn't used a board stretcher. :)

I've really started to like water based polyurethane. It works much better than I expect it to, and if you follow the instructions it comes out great. The only problem I had with it was that the residue in rim of the paint can rusted the can so that I couldn't seal it the second time I used it. I wound up tossing half the can.

Kirk

What’s a board stretcher?

The Johnstons is in a plastic tub and sometimes been in and out of the tin 30 times and never had a problem. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby kirkpoore1 » 23 Oct 2020, 15:57

Cabinetman wrote:What’s a board stretcher?
Ian

It's the thing you use after you've measured once and cut twice....
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Cabinetman » 23 Oct 2020, 23:55

Thanks Kirkpoore1, sorry, but I was actually being serious. I really don’t know what you’re referring to. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 24 Oct 2020, 10:08

Cabinetman wrote:Thanks Kirkpoore1, sorry, but I was actually being serious. I really don’t know what you’re referring to. Ian

Ian, You can sometimes find special offers on panel stretchers on 1st April. :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Projects & WIP