It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:59

On a roll today!

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

On a roll today!

Postby mailee » 07 Oct 2014, 19:10

I had a really good day today in the shop. You know the ones, when everything just goes right. :D Well I started the day by making a set of doors for an alcove cupboard job I have.
With these done I then started work on a small softwood gate for another customer.
After a quick sandwich break I then made a start on a small pine book case which by the end of the day I had ready for a finish.
Now that is what I call progress. :D Tomorrow I shall get a finish on the book case and make a start on my next job....double softwood gates! :lol:
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Re: On a roll today!

Postby DaveL » 07 Oct 2014, 19:13

You do make me look very snail like, but its good see what you have going on in the shop, thanks for posting.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 07 Oct 2014, 19:17

DaveL wrote:You do make me look very snail like, but its good see what you have going on in the shop, thanks for posting.

Well, to be fair Dave, not everyone takes 14 years over a desk! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 07 Oct 2014, 20:36

Time is money :)

Good to see you doing well. Hope you have many more days rolling forwards rather than back.

Have you tried selling something you have made on spec?

just thinking if you had a few standard lines that sold you could fill in any quiet times between the custom work. repeat batch making has got to be easier than making everything to order.

my business was 80% custom products but the other 20% kept the factory busy between projects.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby DaveL » 07 Oct 2014, 21:31

Mike G wrote:
DaveL wrote:You do make me look very snail like, but its good see what you have going on in the shop, thanks for posting.

Well, to be fair Dave, not everyone takes 14 years over a desk! :)

Mike, I hope that's not a prediction, I have only taken 10 years, so far...............
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby mailee » 07 Oct 2014, 23:05

I have given it a lot of thought Robert but it's knowing what to make really. I have no where to display items so it would have to be internet based. Then comes the problem of carriage for the items which is dependant on the size and weight. I built a gun cabinet for a chap up North and had to end up delivering it myself due to the high cost of carriage which was over £100! :shock: This did put me off building to sell cabinets. I really need something small that can be easily shipped...but it's knowing what would sell that's the problem. :?
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Oct 2014, 07:22

You did all that on a roll? I'd need a full english just to get started :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Oct 2014, 09:24

Andyp wrote:You did all that on a roll? I'd need a full english just to get started :D

…or a full French. Two croissants and bowl of coffee :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 08 Oct 2014, 09:38

mailee wrote:I have given it a lot of thought Robert but it's knowing what to make really. I have no where to display items so it would have to be internet based. Then comes the problem of carriage for the items which is dependant on the size and weight. I built a gun cabinet for a chap up North and had to end up delivering it myself due to the high cost of carriage which was over £100! :shock: This did put me off building to sell cabinets. I really need something small that can be easily shipped...but it's knowing what would sell that's the problem. :?

No local furniture stores you could ask and see if there is something wooden you could price up? We were sub contract manufacturers. Let someone else do the selling. Hit on something they can sell and other things may follow.

Make what's wanted rather than what you think might sell.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Return to Projects & WIP