It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:40

Marking Gauge & Panel Gauge

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Marking Gauge & Panel Gauge

Postby PAC1 » 29 Dec 2020, 09:55

I have been wanting to make these for some time. The small gauge is a cutting gauge using a Marples replacement blade secured by a machine screw and threaded insert and the panel gauge is both a pencil gauge and a cutting gauge. Both made from off cuts of ABW
Attachments
BCB8E68C-C892-4156-BEAE-A4FEEAC88A3B.jpeg
(154.16 KiB)
9D725670-73C7-44D1-B6DA-2E5984DB820C.jpeg
(209.55 KiB)
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Re: Marking Gauge & Panel Gauge

Postby AndyT » 29 Dec 2020, 10:11

Looking good!

May I ask how you made the long slot and what was your source for the brass knobs?

There's a sweet satisfaction in using tools you made yourself, isn't there?
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 29 Dec 2020, 10:24

Very nice. That panel gauge looks just a bit nicer than mine:

What I have learnt from this quick bodge was that I want to be able to see the point of the pencil as I move the gauge along the edge of the wood, and to do that, I tilt the gauge. My next gauge, therefore, will either have a round arm, or it will have the arm rotated at 45 degrees. Both of these options will also get over the other problem, that the sharpened bit of the pencil is the place where the gripper is trying to get hold of it, which is just awkward.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 29 Dec 2020, 10:32

There certainly is satisfaction in using your own made tools. I made a few as an apprentice and keep adding tools from time to time.
The long slot was made on the router table! The real work is done by a sliding dovetail which keeps everything square and tight.
The brass nut on the small gauge came from Wood Workers Workshop and are made by Woodpecker. The brass Knurled bolt on the panel gauge was made for me by our very own Philly Planes. "He makes really nice knobs" if I am allowed to say that in public. There was a time when I would have just used a wing nut.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Cabinetman » 29 Dec 2020, 10:37

Mike, for the first half second I thought you had cannibalised your mallet ha ha. Quite correct about the angle though.
Very nice gauges PAC, always wanted a panel gauge but never really got round to making one I think you may have provided the inspiration. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby PAC1 » 29 Dec 2020, 10:45

Mike, my original plan was to make an oval panel gauge with an oval stem, because I agree most gauges are used tilted over. I find they work better with the blade being dragged and rocked rather than held in one plane. The panel gauge I have made is not designed for that as it has a rebate in the fence so that it sits on the panel. It is for wide panels and I see it as a two handed tool. I intend to make a small pencil gauge which will definitely be oval once I work out how it is to be done. I started several months ago but put the wood to one side whilst I work it out in my head. I have seen some gauges where the blade or pencil runs diagonally through the stem and the hole in the fence set diagonally which definitely gives you sight of the business end. I might end up with an oval fence and diagonal stem.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby PAC1 » 29 Dec 2020, 11:06

Ian, it has only taken me 41 years to get around to it. The problem with panel gauges is there are so many alternatives, a straight edge, a string line or just cut it on the table saw.
The good news is the panel gauge was very quick and easy to make, a couple of hours will easily see it done including some finish.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Dec 2020, 11:34

Proper job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Dec 2020, 12:10

This is my version of a Panel Gauge:

IMG_5182.jpg
(220.88 KiB)

It's really just an extended version of my Japanese marking gauges. This one is made with a Holly stem, Oak stock and uses a ground down masonry nail to score the timber. The 'turnscrew' is a 6mm threaded bolt with the head cut off and a small steel rectangle silver soldered in place - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Nico Adie » 29 Dec 2020, 20:26

PAC1 wrote:I have been wanting to make these for some time. The small gauge is a cutting gauge using a Marples replacement blade secured by a machine screw and threaded insert and the panel gauge is both a pencil gauge and a cutting gauge. Both made from off cuts of ABW

Those look absolutely great, bet they’re a real pleasure to use.
Nico Adie
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP