It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:35

Workbenches

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Workbenches

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2021, 19:26

billw wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:
I’m not having it. Purple isn’t claret nor anywhere near it!

Yeah it's not perfect but the thought was there!

I’ll give you that.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby billw » 03 Jan 2021, 19:28

Doug wrote:Funny I’ve not thought of those days for donkeys years until I read your post, happy days. Is Blake’s Barn still going? I dated a really posh lass who lived round there, way out of my league but fun while it lasted :D

It is indeed! Been in there maybe once in 20 years but it was one of our haunts when I was at school (late 1980s) as one of my friends lived nearby.
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby MattS » 03 Jan 2021, 21:06

I know not to the tastes of a lot on here, but I really like the look of some Valcromat colours. Got a sample box, it seems like really good quality MDF too. Did you buy in small quantities was it easy to get hold of?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby billw » 03 Jan 2021, 22:12

MattS wrote:I know not to the tastes of a lot on here, but I really like the look of some Valcromat colours. Got a sample box, it seems like really good quality MDF too. Did you buy in small quantities was it easy to get hold of?

It's not MDF ;) Sanded at 400 grit it's fantastic to the touch, I'm really happy with it.

I got two full 19mm sheets from Avonply (now Sydenhams) because their prices are way lower than anyone else, but organised my own courier (£55 instead of the £125+VAT they wanted).

If you want anything less than full sheets it's difficult to get a good price, if at all. Then again you could probably offload any unwanted material on ebay.
billw
New Shoots

Postby MattS » 03 Jan 2021, 22:28

billw wrote:It's not MDF ;)

I think it is MDF, it’s board made from fibres but with a dye in it. Although happy to be proved wrong!

Thanks for info on sourcing.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby billw » 03 Jan 2021, 22:42

MattS wrote:
billw wrote:It's not MDF ;)

I think it is MDF, it’s board made from fibres but with a dye in it. Although happy to be proved wrong!

Thanks for info on sourcing.

I think they say it's not MDF, it's more like MRMDF but they try to distinguish it even from that, perhaps just to justify its higher price? I'm not expert enough to comment.

Perhaps saying it's a stronger, more water-resistant variance of MDF might be a good compromise. Plus it comes in nicer colours than brown.
billw
New Shoots

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Jan 2021, 00:03

billw wrote:This bench was designed more for the process of getting things squared up and finely tuned more than the rough work, the ability to ensure things are exactly 45/90deg is where it excels.

This to me is the problem with these sorts of benches with 'oles. We hope and expect :eusa-pray: that our work will be at the angles stated, buy life ain't perfick and so often our work ('specially yours truly) is slightly 'out' or sometimes a lot 'out'. In that case you need to have a 'work around' to get you out of a deep hole(s) which is where a traditional bench, much thought processes and sucking of the teeth comes in handy.
I have one of those 'tables with 'oles' but rarely, if ever use it, much preferring the 'old skool' methods - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2021, 00:07

billw wrote:.....Perhaps saying it's a stronger, more water-resistant variance of MDF might be a good compromise........

There is such a thing as HDF (high density fibreboard). I've no idea what this bench is made of.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby billw » 04 Jan 2021, 00:12

Woodbloke wrote:I have one of those 'tables with 'oles' but rarely, if ever use it, much preferring the 'old skool' methods - Rob

You know Rob, I do agree with that to some respect, but that Parf kit is pretty much as accurate as you can ever hope for if you're at the stage of education in woodworking that I am. If you rely on the fixings that go into it then yes there's opportunity for error but as thing go I think it's good enough for virtually everything I'll ever do.

Plus I'm not "old skool" anyway, but if you've spent a career getting stuff right then absolutely a table full of holes is going to make the square root of F all difference to your ability.
billw
New Shoots

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Jan 2021, 08:16

billw wrote:
You know Rob, I do agree with that to some respect, but that Parf kit is pretty much as accurate as you can ever hope for if you're at the stage of education in woodworking that I am. If you rely on the fixings that go into it then yes there's opportunity for error but as thing go I think it's good enough for virtually everything I'll ever do.

Plus I'm not "old skool" anyway, but if you've spent a career getting stuff right then absolutely a table full of holes is going to make the square root of F all difference to your ability.

The other thing that occurred to me about those 'tables with 'oles' is that they automatically appear to condition the user to work at 90deg, but what happens if you want to do, f'rinstance, some chair work? Unless you build a very simple, rectilinear shape, almost any chair that I've ever seen contains compound angles that are nowhere near 90deg, in which case a 'table with 'oles' is about as useful as a chocolate teapot :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Jan 2021, 08:35

That purple stuff is evidently made with no formaldehyde, a real plus IMO.
Had a look on line here, over 300 euros for a 19mm full size 8x4 sheet! :shock:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 04 Jan 2021, 09:39

Andyp wrote:That purple stuff is evidently made with no formaldehyde, a real plus IMO.
Had a look on line here, over 300 euros for a 19mm full size 8x4 sheet! :shock:

That does sound expensive Andy it’s around £90 this side of the channel, I’ve a top made in it

E451CCFF-0A47-43FE-A3E4-C36F134F4063.jpeg
(115.9 KiB)

A mate made it for me on his CNC, I’ve been using it getting on a year now it’s much denser than standard MDF so also heavier but it seems to bear up to the rigours of use better than standard stuff so probably worth the extra expense.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 04 Jan 2021, 09:46

I also have a workbench with holes alongside a traditional bench. In my mind these benches are designed for making carcasses and other similar cabinets out of sheet goods when you’re almost always working to 90 degree angles and with materials that have little movement and so can be machined to tight tolerances.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 04 Jan 2021, 10:40

I don’t see why a few more holes than a standard bench should limit its use, it not like it obligatory for you to use the holes whenever you use the bench, it’s just another work surface. In fact the ability to place clamps every 96mm at any angle would be more useful when doing non square glue ups than a standard bench, the holes really don’t dictate its use they are an added bonus.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2021, 10:48

As I say, I've no axe to grind on this one at all. This is a whole other way of working which is not better or worse than any other. I just know that holes in my bench mean stuff dropping through. Lots of holes would, for me, mean lots of time looking for lost screws and washers, and lots of time vacuuming out the space below. I'd be fascinated to see how this bench works out in the long run, and whether it alters the way the woodwork is done.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Jan 2021, 10:50

Doug wrote:.....

delete this 4.png
(725.43 KiB)

Ah, now I can see why the enthusiasm for benches with 'oles. :lol:

delete this 3.png
(1.24 MiB)

I do miss my MFT.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 04 Jan 2021, 12:17

Mike G wrote:As I say, I've no axe to grind on this one at all. This is a whole other way of working which is not better or worse than any other. I just know that holes in my bench mean stuff dropping through. Lots of holes would, for me, mean lots of time looking for lost screws and washers, and lots of time vacuuming out the space below. I'd be fascinated to see how this bench works out in the long run, and whether it alters the way the woodwork is done.

I put lots of these holes in my workbench and I love the options it gives for holding work down. I also use it with a tracksaw as an alternative to having a mitre saw, which I really don't have room for in my tiny workshop.

Like you I was concerned about losing bits through the holes (especially since the bin lives under the bench and anything that falls in there is a lost cause). I have the advantage of a metalworking lathe and a ready supply (from the skip at work) of stainless steel though, so I made rather a lot of little hole-fillers (with a thread in so they can be pulled out easily) to keep them plugged. I realise that's not an option for most people - Axminster sell things like the ones I made, but I worked out it would cost about £300 to buy as many as I made from skip-retrieved steel!

IMG_20200716_174557.jpg
Bench Holes 1
(37.28 KiB)

IMG_20200716_174854.jpg
Bench Holes 2
(42.28 KiB)

The threads do get filled up with sawdust, but it doesn't stop the extraction screw getting in (it only needs half a turn to grip enough to pull the loose dog fillers out) and vacuums out easily whenever I can be bothered.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Andyp » 04 Jan 2021, 13:30

Neat solution Doc and welcome go the forum
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 04 Jan 2021, 13:50

I haven’t many holes in my bench but I fill them up with wine bottle corks.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 04 Jan 2021, 14:07

That's a lot of demijons Rod :obscene-drinkingcheers:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2021, 14:59

Welcome, Dr Al.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 04 Jan 2021, 19:26

billw wrote:Apologies if you've erm, seen these elsewhere.

Workbench 1205x600 (haven't trimmed it yet, might not bother) and Router table 600x599 (oops). Plenty of mistakes but they look nice at least. Made with 18mm BB ply and 19mm Valchromat.

Bench only needs finish applying to the Valchromat, but it's far too cold to do it. Router bench has had holes and grooves done, but I'm waiting on a router bit to fit the t-track and router plate.

Both on castors too. This are the first things I've made using ply, and my first attempts with a track saw. Didn't go too badly unless you look close up.

9.jpg

I like it, I have a “hole-y” workbench too, my little one would love it if it was purple rather than wood colour.

I’m just putting a router insert in one end which will hopefully be very handy.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby billw » 06 Jan 2021, 13:14

Thought I'd put an update on here, this is the current state of the router table that I made in the same sort of design. The intention is that it can be used to increase my benchspace by 50% when not being used as a router table, so it's quite handy. Luckily they fit together pretty well although the dogholes won't follow the 96mm spacing rule from one to the other, not that I can see much problem with that.

The latest progress is fitting the Incra router plate, found it really easy to do although I was seriously unprepared for the amount of dust that routing Valchromat can produce. Even hooked up to a vacuum my workshop is now covered in a fine purple layer.

IMG_9196.jpg
(371.69 KiB)

IMG_9266.jpg
(237.5 KiB)
billw
New Shoots

Postby billw » 15 Jan 2021, 11:56

Few more updates. Finishing line getting closer, but at least after today the router table and fence will be functional, if not complete (still have to wire in the NVR for example).

IMG_9314.jpg
(259.71 KiB)

IMG_9311.jpg
(248.58 KiB)

Glueing up the supports on the fence is my next job....
billw
New Shoots

Postby sunnybob » 15 Jan 2021, 16:25

Having fitted the incra plate, you need the cleansweep inserts.
https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_ ... ingset.htm
They make a huge difference to dust collection 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP