It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:34

Treviso Desk

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Treviso Desk

Postby Chems » 13 Oct 2014, 21:28

I haven't really been WIP'ing any of my projects for awhile but now we have a new home I can catch up on a few in the back log. I did this about a year ago now but it's one of my favorite pieces in terms of the finished outcome. I'm still not sure if I love the design or not, it's a nearly identical replica of a piece John Lewis sell called the Treviso desk. I started with a SU model but don't have a picture, was very helpful for this project as it involves some complex angles.

Some of the wood:

Laying up:

Using the TS55 to true and edge, once done with the TS55 I then use the planer and finally a plane before jointing. It's a pretty quick process as the TS55 does the majority of the work.

Once glued up trimmed to square:

A very light sanding a little smoothing plane to get the top flat.

Then I ran a dado around the front 3 sides of the desk with the router and fence:

And into this the top wrapping pieces. These are thicker to give the top the thick look. Mitred with the TS55:

Dry fit:

The mitres were dominoed with a single 10mm domino, and then the front piece glued on it's own.

Then one side at a time:

Leaving a nice mitred corner:

The other side about to go on:

Next the corners needed to be rounded:

A little more planing, scraping and sanding a the top is ready. Very important that this was dead flat for the top hutch to go on later:

Picking the wood for the hutch, I wanted it to be all made from the same piece so the grain flows around:

The jet doing all the hard work for me once I'd glued the two pieces together:

Then the tricky bit, mitring the hutch all from the one piece:

Getting there:

First test of the hutch on the desktop, 5mm dominos along the mitres:

Dominos to attach the dividers:

Dividers and back panel in:

Cutting the detail into the top with the aid of a plunge cut and a router jig to do the curves:

Then the whole lot slots down onto the top:

At some point I grooved the top for the back panel to slot into and the inside of the hutch was also grooved.

The original had legs that were neatly housed into the edge. I began by replicating this (I seem to have no pictures of making the legs, it was a lot of plane and sanding work to get the curves and angles in):

But it quickly became apparent to me that this wasn't going to be very sturdy so I decided to do a through leg and wedge with contrasts of walnut. I began by cutting through for just the leg:

Then marking and cutting out extra space for the walnut wedges.

Extremely strong, now the tops need trimming. I just hand sawed these off:

I then decided I wanted the walnut to be inside of the leg as well so it appeared to wrap all the way around and would really help to neated the join. Routed and chiseled out a channel:

Infill in and a little water to test what oil will look like:

Oiled:

I seemed to miss a few pictures as I don't have any of the back legs or under table framework, it wasn't very exciting I guess! They are taped legs in two dimensions, one cut with machinery and the other chamfer done by hand.

Starting work on the two little drawers:

Draw in it's home:

And then with the finish barely dry it was off to the new owner:

Chems
Seedling

Name:

Re: Treviso Desk

Postby Wizard9999 » 13 Oct 2014, 21:51

Brilliant piece of work and the design works perfectly with the design of its setting! :text-bravo:

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby DaveL » 13 Oct 2014, 22:48

Nice job and some very good rays on the oak, I love the rays.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Oct 2014, 00:12

I like that a lot James, thanks for sharing.

My only comment would be, you've done such a great job on the legs and mitres its a shame you didn't mitre the corners of the walnut wedges as that would have really been the icing on the cake.

But seeing as I've made absolutely nothing for over 12 months I'm in no place to criticise...! ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 14 Oct 2014, 06:34

Very nice indeed James. Using walnut as an accent could certainly catch on. I like it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 14 Oct 2014, 07:52

James, that's really excellent work. I've used walnut like that, and doesn't it make a difference!

I love all the individual bits, but the design doesn't work for me. However, the craftsmanship more than saves the day. I just hope that your mitred edge-piece going across the grain along the sides of the desk is OK, being as it is all glued. If there is some movement somewhere, something's got to give.

Excellent. Thanks for posting that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 14 Oct 2014, 08:03

Nice craftsmanship and lovely choice and use of wood.
Don't really like the design - the top is too big for the legs?
But as long as the client is happy?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 14 Oct 2014, 10:14

Very nicely made. My only concern would be expansion across the grain of the top blowing the mitred corners. Just hope it's not subjected to hot humid conditions.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby 9fingers » 14 Oct 2014, 11:48

I'm always nervous about this sort of problem and so far have never edged a real tree-wood surface.

I guess one way is a veneered insert with real wood surround.

Would thorough attention to sealing a boarded top on both sides be sufficient to remove the risk?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 14 Oct 2014, 14:04

Very nicely made and I like the splayed legs. I particularly like the wraparound although agree on the mitre suggestion. I do find the thickness of the top unit a tad too much and would have preferred it to be about 2/3 of the thickness.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Oct 2014, 18:00

RogerM wrote:Very nicely made. My only concern would be expansion across the grain of the top blowing the mitred corners. Just hope it's not subjected to hot humid conditions.

Mike G wrote:James, that's really excellent work.
However, the craftsmanship more than saves the day. I just hope that your mitred edge-piece going across the grain along the sides of the desk is OK, being as it is all glued. If there is some movement somewhere, something's got to give.

Excellent. Thanks for posting that.

I agree with Mike and Rog M's comment. A smashing piece but I'd be worried about the solid top within the mitred frame. Any change in humidity or temp and you're liable to see gaps opening somewhere. If I were to do this, I'd make that top out of thick, band sawn veneers which I'd lay over some MDF or birch ply, then lip and mitre the outside. Tiddles used a very similar technique for his elm dining table - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chems » 14 Oct 2014, 19:24

Thanks all, glad you enjoyed it. Like I said I'm not 100% I like the design, I don't think I did at first but I like it now but I think it's more because I enjoyed making it. This is the real version from John Lewis:

http://www.johnlewis.com/matthew-hilton ... p230869529

The real one can have either one or two under drawers, my client didn't want them and it looks cleaner for it I think.

@Trim, great idea about the mitred inlay, I just never thought of it, but if I had I would have done it.

So the mitred top question, it's only wrapped on 3 sides so I would assume that the movement will go towards the path of least resistance (the back). I did think that was why it was done like that on the real item, but I'm not sure the real item uses a solid panel or not. As it is it's been through a full cycle of the seasons and no issues. The dominoed mitre is going to take some undoing.

Often when I post things people make mention of expansion/contraction. Maybe it's my suppliers or finishing process but I've never had issues. I design in room for expansion where I think it's needed but perhaps not to the extent other people do. Whatever it is I shan't complain and hope it continues!
Chems
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 14 Oct 2014, 19:38

Fair comment Chems. What is certain is that I like your version far better than the John Lewis one, which I suspect will have a veneered top. I'm not sure I originally understood that the mitred surround was only on 3 sides - that could make a big difference, and as you say, the dominoed corners are going to take some separating.

Please don't think I was being critical, and thanks for posting a great WIP.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Oct 2014, 20:44

RogerM wrote:Fair comment Chems. What is certain is that I like your version far better than the John Lewis one, which I suspect will have a veneered top. I'm not sure I originally understood that the mitred surround was only on 3 sides - that could make a big difference, and as you say, the dominoed corners are going to take some separating.

Please don't think I was being critical, and thanks for posting a great WIP.

:text-+1: Wot Rog said - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP