It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:08

Latest Projets

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Latest Projets

Postby Dalboy » 15 Oct 2014, 18:15

The last couple of days I have been busy in the shed preparing wood and printing patterns for some more bandsawn boxes most patterns I have taken from a book "Building Beautiful Boxes by Lois Keener Ventura" and also My dear old mum in her 90's says can I make a Christmas present for her friend but will leave it up to me. At least one thing I know about her friend is she is quite religious so I thought a cross but with a difference I have used one of Steve goods patterns and if you look in the centre I have drawn a couple of circles one for the clock and the other for a boarder

Will take some more photo's as I go. This is where I am at up until tonight it was a bit like a jigsaw puzzle trying to get the most out of the blocks I managed 7 with only one double as I need the two of them

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Latest Projets

Postby Andyp » 15 Oct 2014, 18:42

I am looking forward to seeing progress on these in preparation for the day that I find a suitable bandsaw.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 16 Oct 2014, 20:46

Today not a good day Started alright cut out all the outer waste off ready for the cutting of the backs and drawers well it was not to be (the later part that is)

First picture cutting into a corner save trying to back out of a long cut

When I need to cut off some waste when going around the box I cut round then back up by at least 1/2" then cut out this leaves a small cut to restart on try and do this on a shallow curve or straight bit

All the wast now cut off ready for the backs to be cut off and the cross ready to be scrolled and the clock recess drilled

Well as I said everything was doing all right until I started to due the cuts to remove the backs got 3/4 of the way through the one on the right and the saw blade broke so new blade will be put on order soon

Anyway at least I could get on with the cross sanded all the outer edges, drilled the holes for the scrollsaw blade and then checked my marking out for the clock

Finally I drilled out the for the clock tomorrow should be able to start cutting out on the scrollsaw
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 17 Oct 2014, 17:57

Well the bandsaw will not get the blade for at least a week. I still can use the bandsaw as I have larger blades but for the boxes I have got to have the smaller one.
But I have been able to do some more to the cross. Today I took a couple of hours (I,m a bit slow with the scrollsaw) cutting out the holes and the spent a couple (mind you there was at least three cuppa's in that time) more sanding any bits on the inside but most of that was working on the outside taking some of the sharp edges off.
First picture after all the work second is just a pre-view with the clock in place. Will start the stand tomorrow.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Oct 2014, 18:45

Very intriguing idea there. Do you have to sand the cutouts or does the finish off the blade give you a good enough result?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 17 Oct 2014, 19:11

With the right blade you can get a good enough finish. I just had to sand places where I left some marks, still need a lot of practice on the scrollsaw
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 20 Oct 2014, 15:49

Well the cross is finished

Made from an old bread board this is for My mum to give to a friend at Christmas. She just said "can you make something for my friend for Christmas I'll leave it up to you" she is in her 90's bless her, luckily I know that her friend is quite religious.

It is a Steve Goods pattern but I have incorporated a clock so had to do some slight changes to the centre where the clock sits.

C & C welcome

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 20 Oct 2014, 19:50

You're a talented chap! I'm sure you mum's friend will be delighted with it.

Terry.
Last edited by Wizard9999 on 20 Oct 2014, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Oct 2014, 19:54

I like that.

Certainly something an elderly religious person would go for so I think you've pitched it perfectly.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 20 Oct 2014, 21:53

+1 to both of the above
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 21 Oct 2014, 15:26

Thank you all. I will be getting on with the boxes as soon as I order the new blade for the bandsaw from Ian, will be doing that on Thursday.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 21 Oct 2014, 19:00

Yes very nice, I too think it will be well received.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 28 Oct 2014, 10:57

Well new bandsaw blades arrived today, fitted and set up. In between doing a bangle and some other stuff.

Anyway back on the bandsawn boxes managed to get all the draw units cut out. Next job will be to cut the backs and fronts off of them and also cut out the draw part. Still have all the sanding to do.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 29 Oct 2014, 08:43

Looking good ! What wood are you using for the boxes ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Phil » 29 Oct 2014, 17:31

That is really nice work! :text-bravo:

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dalboy » 01 Nov 2014, 00:41

Thank you both.

chataigner wrote:Looking good ! What wood are you using for the boxes ?

Some are Sapele and the others are Iroko.

Have been busy sanding which seems to take forever. Then it will be back to glueing them back together.
The 2 three draw ones I am thinking of cutting out some Beech for the draw fronts to give a contrast to the frame
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP