It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:36

Understairs Unit

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Understairs Unit

Postby Chems » 18 Oct 2014, 12:49

Continuing to catch up on a few projects I didn't WIP, here's on I did for a family member last year.

Before, it was just a place to put stuff:

They'd seen a unit that was part cupboard, part bookshelf that wouldn't dominate the hallway so I followed that as the brief. My first issue was the plasterboard under the stairs was popcorn finish, I'd never be able to get a nice finish onto it. I could have sanded it but decided it was less mess to just take it down and replaster. Thick plaster board used as it's an understairs. Taking off the old:

New board up and taped ready for plaster:

Plastered and paitned:

Next I cut away the carpet, this was mainly because they were going to re-carpet once the job was done and also as I prefer to have it sitting on the stable floor.

I did the majority of the building on site as it's always a major pain trying to do fitted things and bring them in to find they don't fit! So I made the cutting table that I think tiddles posted on wh1. You can make it from a single sheet of 8x4.

Two simple square carcass first. All screw, pockethole and some domino. I attached it to the wall by first fixing a batton around the wall and then screwing into this. The base units wouldn't be painted so used pineboard for them.

I then added the tricker angled end unit:

Then I added the worktop and upper bookshelf. 18mm MR-MDF, dominos and screws and 9mm back panel for the bookcase. I made the worktop by laminating two pieces of 18mm to get nice thick look. I did want to do a real wood top but the client wanted a painted worktop.

I didn't do any of the painting so that was great! The undercoat was Zinnser BIN with many top coats of water based gloss applied with a foam brush and roller.

I then started work on the faceframe for the top unit, made from poplar:

Some very tricky angled joints to cut by hand:

Scribing was pretty successful along the wall, I bevel cut the edges then just worked it in by eye with a combination of plane and sandpaper.

I didn't have any poplar long enough to do the top molding in one go so went with a join mid way. Really shows the different colours you can get with poplar.

Next onto face framing the base units:

Recessed for 6mm hinges:

Dominos to fix it all together:

The angled end was again done on site to ensure it all fitted:

Finally the doors, poplar frames and panels, no idea why I didn't use MDF panel:

Angled door:

Glue up:

Doors fitted:

All doors fitted:

I made a full size template for the end door and still made it wrong!

The finish unit:

Apologies for the difficult camera angles, it's hard to get far enough away to get it all in.
Chems
Seedling

Name:

Re: Understairs Unit

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Oct 2014, 13:15

Nice. I need to do something under my stairs when I get the workshop sorted so will bookmark this.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 18 Oct 2014, 13:54

Cracking job and you can plaster as well. Hat's off.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 18 Oct 2014, 14:15

Andyp wrote:Cracking job and you can plaster as well. Hat's off.

+1
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 18 Oct 2014, 14:35

Nice work

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 18 Oct 2014, 16:21

Proper job . I like it .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Chems » 18 Oct 2014, 20:45

Thanks guys.

I don't mind doing a bit of plastering like this, a smaller section or a single wall. But if it comes to anything more room like I'd get a pro. But plastering mostly comes down to getting the right mix, once you've got that it's just a case of following the formula for applying it.
Chems
Seedling

Name:

Postby TheTiddles » 19 Oct 2014, 21:43

Deleted
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Name: Aidan

Return to Projects & WIP