It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:19

Project Merlin

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: PROJECT MERLIN

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 11:44

Woodster wrote:Interesting project, I look forward to seeing how you get on. One observation, if it goes very well you may wish you’d used Oak. On the other hand, if it doesn’t you’ll be glad you used Pine! :lol: They sell some nice Hemlock in the form of stair spindles in Wickes ...

Thanks Woodster. 8-)

I agree, using oak would certainly be more impressive and I'm going to price it up. I could order in a load of 25 x 25 PAR giving a finished size of around 19mm sq. In scale, the bulk of the frame profiles would be at 1:15, which is where I want to be with it. I also still have quite a bit of 2.4mm oak construction veneer which I could use for other stuff - floor boards etc. On the other hand, I still might go the pine route for the frames. :lol:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 11:48

Lons wrote:Very unusual project, will watch with great interest. :eusa-clap: How many months/years have you allocated?

Thanks Bob. 8-)

Haha, good question, and one I have been asking myself. I really don't know - certainly several months if I work on the model consistently. I can't see me returning back to the coach touring job for some time, if at all. I feel like I'm retired now, and, if I'm honest, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 11:53

sunnybob wrote:
Pinch wrote:
sunnybob wrote:Those nudes are going to be contentious. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Bob. Haha, indeed. Mrs P has already made a few sarky comments, one of which went, "You're obsessed with naked ladies and pert bosoms - your creations always include a naked lady with pert bosoms!" To which I replied, "Yes... and...?" :lol: :shock:

Your missus comment is far nicer than my missus reaction to me watching perky bosoms :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

:lol: :lol:

Ah yes, mine would be too if I was actually watching them - by golly, I would be on the naughty step for the remainder of the year. :P

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Re: Project Merlin

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 11:54

I've just merged these images together which I really like.

I might use it for the new website. 8-)

09.jpg
(320.49 KiB)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby sunnybob » 11 Feb 2021, 12:22

It was a common problem on the other site as well as this one.
I stopped it by just having to wait until I actually saw my reply on the thread. f you click away while the "your post has been accepted" page, then its 50 / 50 whether it will post or not.
But since having to go to win 10, my computer is the slowest thing I've seen since having to load cassette tape programmes onto an atari. Just getting a picture from my folder to my screen can now take 20 seconds or more.

I've checked everything I can, but 10 just tries to do too much all the time.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 11 Feb 2021, 12:26

Wait.... you mean there are alternative seating positions to the bottom step of the stairs :shock: :eusa-hand:

Have you ever seen King John's hunting lodge in Axbridge in Somerset?
I think he will be after your for copyright infringement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_John ... ,_Axbridge
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 21:28

sunnybob wrote:It was a common problem on the other site as well as this one.
I stopped it by just having to wait until I actually saw my reply on the thread. f you click away while the "your post has been accepted" page, then its 50 / 50 whether it will post or not.
But since having to go to win 10, my computer is the slowest thing I've seen since having to load cassette tape programmes onto an atari. Just getting a picture from my folder to my screen can now take 20 seconds or more.

I've checked everything I can, but 10 just tries to do too much all the time.

Yep, I can certainly agree with that. I've been using my Win 10 for 13 months and it's by far the slowest machine I've had. I'm glad I don't keep a lump hammer with me in the study - it would have been buried into the PC by now. :twisted:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 21:33

sunnybob wrote:Wait.... you mean there are alternative seating positions to the bottom step of the stairs :shock: :eusa-hand:

Have you ever seen King John's hunting lodge in Axbridge in Somerset?
I think he will be after your for copyright infringement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_John ... ,_Axbridge

Only when the Missus is about. :lol:

I can't say I have and I'm a southerner - I should have got out more when I could. It looks beautiful. I could live in that very comfortably.

Oh well, I sincerely apologise to King John with great enthusiasm.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Feb 2021, 21:37

I've just discovered, when I hit the 'submit button' after writing a message, and then click the 'view message' link while it's in the process of submitting, the change back to the thread is instantaneous. Hmmm, very strange. :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Cabinetman » 12 Feb 2021, 12:00

Hi Pinch, very nice – perky bottoms and cars in the sitting room, no she will never agree to that!
I was going to build a Tudor cottage in my garden, tiny little thing single-storey got as far as a full-size outline in 2x1 and checked with the neighbours to see if they could see it or not so I’ve got past that test, But then life got in the way. Guy near me built a Tudor model like this, more of a dolls house for his wife, will try and dig out the photos. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Pinch » 16 Feb 2021, 21:24

Cabinetman wrote:Hi Pinch, very nice – perky bottoms and cars in the sitting room, no she will never agree to that!
I was going to build a Tudor cottage in my garden, tiny little thing single-storey got as far as a full-size outline in 2x1 and checked with the neighbours to see if they could see it or not so I’ve got past that test, But then life got in the way. Guy near me built a Tudor model like this, more of a dolls house for his wife, will try and dig out the photos. Ian

Hi Ian and thanks. 8-)

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Yes, I might have to divorce her! :o

Aye, life has this habit of getting in the way or turning a different corner unexpectedly. It would have been good to see how you've progressed. I'm hoping this model is going be quite special and although fiddly, I'm going to craft all the structural joints, including pegs.

Hope to see the photos. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Feb 2021, 00:48

The Guy that made this is a superb model maker – often railway related, I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing his skill.
03C5ACEB-2EE3-495C-81F0-9DBF7F3DD303.jpeg
(307.43 KiB)

894B2A82-F6CF-40A2-A71F-E693B94FB3C0.jpeg
(329.93 KiB)

88FCFBC0-B3B7-4942-9145-3C29C9F9AF85.jpeg
(203.35 KiB)
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 17 Feb 2021, 09:39

Cabinetman wrote:The Guy that made this is a superb model maker – often railway related, I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing his skill.....

That's a building from the west of Britain, with it's widely spaced studs and half-storey-height horizontals. East Anglia has close-studding, without the horizontal members, giving a very different look. The two styles were never mixed up in one building.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Feb 2021, 10:12

For possible miniature lighting supplies try here
https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/
Jennifer Smith is a friend of mine who runs this site also trades as
JS miniatures that started by providing all sorts of dolls house fittings and expanded into led lighting.
Feel free to mention my name. :D
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 17 Feb 2021, 16:21

Cabinetman wrote:The Guy that made this is a superb model maker – often railway related, I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing his skill.
03C5ACEB-2EE3-495C-81F0-9DBF7F3DD303.jpeg

894B2A82-F6CF-40A2-A71F-E693B94FB3C0.jpeg

88FCFBC0-B3B7-4942-9145-3C29C9F9AF85.jpeg

Oh yes, that's beautifully made. Thanks for sharing. Please send my thanks to your mate as well. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you sharing his fine work.

The timbers look very authentic and old. It all looks very real and rather splendid. :D

I have my work cut out to match this realistic quality. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Feb 2021, 16:22

Mike G wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:The Guy that made this is a superb model maker – often railway related, I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing his skill.....

That's a building from the west of Britain, with it's widely spaced studs and half-storey-height horizontals. East Anglia has close-studding, without the horizontal members, giving a very different look. The two styles were never mixed up in one building.

Indeed, interesting info Mike - thanks for sharing. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Feb 2021, 16:25

9fingers wrote:For possible miniature lighting supplies try here
https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/
Jennifer Smith is a friend of mine who runs this site also trades as
JS miniatures that started by providing all sorts of dolls house fittings and expanded into led lighting.
Feel free to mention my name. :D
Bob

Ah thanks Bob. That's great! I shall bookmark her site.

In fact, I'll go and have a good browse now. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Mar 2021, 15:57

Hello Folks,

I am now ready to start making this beautifully exciting and splendid model. 8-)

I've been undecided about various elements of the build and after much dithering, I have made some very important decisions.

I wasn't sure whether to make the main frames using a hardwood or softwood. I have now decided on a softwood - a premium Scandinavian Redwood. I am also making the model to a scale of 1:15 instead of 1:12, purely for working space and where the model is going to live once she's complete. This means the actual finished size will be approximately 1150 long (gable-to-gable), 700 wide (fascia-to-fascia) and 650 high (base-to-ridge).

Another part of my dithering was construction; whether to craft traditional joints or not. I have now decided to craft most of the joints using traditional methods - albeit on a much smaller scale - indeed, very fiddly. Most of the structural joints will be a variety from the draw/bore mortice & tenon family. I was also undecided with the King Post arrangement. I have now changed this slightly too. In all, there are approximately 173 traditional joints to make in the 5 frames with several other joints to follow. I shall be more detailed on these as and when I get going.

I have also found several suppliers I didn't think existed! One in particular, is a company who make all the masonry components required in a scaled model build - from the common house brick to a ridge tile - astonishing! The bricks are actual bricks, made from brick material - clay, sand, lime etc. The same applies to other materials as well - flag stones, roofing tiles, ceramics and so the list goes on. I was blown away by what these guys make. I will however, still make the roofing tiles from 2.4mm oak construction veneer I already have in stock. This might be as a shingled roof or I might paint them to replicate a tiled roof - dunno.

Anyway, not much to see right now, but here are a few photos including the hobby 'shop, which I know I've shared on here before, but here we go again.
1.jpg
(215.87 KiB)

2.jpg
(283.51 KiB)

3.jpg
(247.88 KiB)

4.jpg
(241.01 KiB)

5.jpg
(280.18 KiB)

6.jpg
(252.29 KiB)

Here is the footprint base cut from 18mm plywood.
7.jpg
(242.95 KiB)

And the 25x25 PSE Scandinavian Redwood. Finished size - 20.5x20.5mm - replicating 300mm sq oak posts etc.
8.jpg
(313.44 KiB)

The workshop drawings.
9.jpg
(150.15 KiB)

10.jpg
(154.77 KiB)

11.jpg
(146.27 KiB)

12.jpg
(133.77 KiB)

And the Workshop Rod drawn onto the wall for marking-up all the components. Photo not very clear.
13.jpg
(207.63 KiB)

I have also bought a new backdrop (dark olive - I do like an olive - tasty!) for when I start taking WIP and finished photos. I stupidly left my previous backdrop in the old workshop down in carrot crunching Darset.

Anyway, that's my update for now. Not much I know, but it is a start!

Cheers.
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Mar 2021, 16:26

Cheers, Paul. Can't wait to see them joints take shape!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby NickM » 13 Mar 2021, 19:52

This is going to be really interesting to follow. Thanks for posting it.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 14 Mar 2021, 13:00

Malc2098 wrote:Cheers, Paul. Can't wait to see them joints take shape!

Thanks Malc. Indeed - plenty of them.

But, I am now officially retired from the professional world of working for a living - at 56. :o :shock:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 14 Mar 2021, 13:01

NickM wrote:This is going to be really interesting to follow. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks Nick - tis a pleasure.

I can't wait to get going with it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Mar 2021, 14:28

Pinch wrote:

But, I am now officially retired from the professional world of working for a living - at 56. :o :shock:

Go, Pinch! :text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 14 Mar 2021, 14:46

Pinch wrote:

Oh well done!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Pinch » 04 Apr 2021, 13:50

DaveL wrote:
Pinch wrote:

Oh well done!

Thanks Dave.

Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP