It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:31

Jewellery box

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Jewellery box

Postby NickM » 28 Feb 2021, 12:47

This isn't a WIP, but I mentioned in Steve M's thread that I'd been working on a box. Here it is.

IMG_8261.jpeg
(271.88 KiB)

IMG_8262.jpeg
(255.96 KiB)

It's not for any particular purpose. I was short of a project to work on and a board of birds eye maple I bought last year was one of the few bits of wood I had to use. I also wanted to have a go at a veneered panel for the lid which is flush with the sides. That also meant some stringing inlay to cover the join. I'm pretty happy with it.

The mitres on the lid haven't closed up 100%. I think that's because I made the veneered panel too tight and it very slightly stopped the mitres meeting perfectly. Stupid really, because the whole point of the stringing is to cover the gap you need to leave to stop that happening. Oh well, that's why we practice I suppose!

You'll see that the veneer on the inside of the lid doesn't match the outside. I didn't have two matching pieces, so the inside is purely a balancing veneer. I will line the inside of the lid (as well as the box) to address that.

I'm also planning to make a lift out tray for this box.

The whole thing needs finishing as well of course. I might French polish it...
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Jewellery box

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Feb 2021, 12:58

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby sunnybob » 28 Feb 2021, 15:25

Those splines are deceptive. From the first pic thought there were three on the base and one on the lid. It drew my eye away from the overall box and looked odd to me.
The fit between the two is almost too good.
May I suggest a very tiny round over champfer on the lid and base to make clear which is which?
I'm impressed with veneer and inlay, no way in this world do I have the patience to do that. :eusa-clap:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Feb 2021, 16:27

Nice looking box! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rezi » 01 Mar 2021, 17:51

Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed as I'm making something similar myself at the mo'.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Nico Adie » 02 Mar 2021, 11:53

That's absolutely lovely, well done.
Nico Adie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 02 Mar 2021, 17:00

Very nice, lovely bit of maple as well. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby NickM » 02 Mar 2021, 17:06

Thanks for the kind comments.

Inspiration for the box, and for the lining technique to follow, is from Custard's excellent tutorial on box lining which is available on (ahem) another forum.

I'll post some more photos when I next do more on it.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Mar 2021, 23:48

NickM wrote: Custard's excellent tutorial on box lining which is available on (ahem) another forum.

I'll post some more photos when I next do more on it.

It's a good technique which I've used for years now. There isn't really another way to line a box effectively apart from wrapping the edges of the lining over a bit of card; if it's not done that way, your eye gets drawn to the ragged edge which never seems to be smooth and even. I rarely line the box sides these days but I usually always do the base.

When you get around tuit, try using some 'Alcantara'....really good stuff and dead easy to manipulate - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 03 Mar 2021, 12:42

I made a start on lining the box yesterday evening.

IMG_8287.jpeg
(308.89 KiB)

The photo makes the lining look very pink but it's actually more of a red wine colour. Anyway, my wife chose the colour...

I haven't finally decided whether to line the sides of the lid or leave it as it is. I needed to line the inside top of the lid because I had used a random bit of veneer. I think I'll probably leave it as it is.

I haven't done the sides of the box yet, as I'm intending to make a lift out tray which will require support that also needs to be lined. I haven't decided how deep the lift out tray will be yet and that will dictate the size of the support pieces I need. I think I'll make the tray and go from there.

My tap and die collection is never going to have had such a good home... :eusa-whistle:
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Mar 2021, 13:30

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Mar 2021, 14:07

NickM wrote:
I haven't done the sides of the box yet, as I'm intending to make a lift out tray which will require support that also needs to be lined. I haven't decided how deep the lift out tray will be yet and that will dictate the size of the support pieces I need. I think I'll make the tray and go from there.

Cracking job on the lining! However, you appear to be retro-fitting the tray but you've already lined the box, so the sides of the tray will be touching the pink lining, n'est pas?...which to my eyes will look a little 'odd'. What's normally done is to line the inside of the lid and base (if needed) and the interior; if a tray is required, it will sit on a couple of upstands and the interior isn't lined - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 03 Mar 2021, 15:17

Woodbloke wrote:
NickM wrote:Cracking job on the lining! However, you appear to be retro-fitting the tray but you've already lined the box, so the sides of the tray will be touching the pink lining, n'est pas?...which to my eyes will look a little 'odd'. What's normally done is to line the inside of the lid and base (if needed) and the interior; if a tray is required, it will sit on a couple of upstands and the interior isn't lined - Rob

That's right. As I said, I'm using Custard's thread as my inspiration/guide and I think that's how he did it. (I hope he doesn't mind my borrowing this picture):

Jwllry-Box-2.jpg
(82.51 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Mar 2021, 15:54

Horses for dooberries! :lol: Both look 8-) But then in this one finished recently, I only lined...

IMG_5074.jpg
(120.92 KiB)

...the base. The sides weren't lined as the Birds Eye Maple lining is around 6mm higher than the closing faces of the lid and box and it would have looked distinctly weird had I done so - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 03 Mar 2021, 16:00

Woodbloke wrote:Horses for dooberries! :lol: Both look 8-) - Rob

Agreed. I don't think there's a right or wrong way here.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 07 Mar 2021, 16:18

Still a bit more finishing and lining to do, but I've made the lift out tray and fitted the lined supports for that in the main box.

IMG_8291.jpeg
(323.12 KiB)

IMG_8292.jpeg
(308.44 KiB)

IMG_8293.jpeg
(315.59 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Mar 2021, 16:23

Coming along really nicely.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 07 Mar 2021, 16:42

That lining is very nice.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to Projects & WIP