It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:30

Insulation for flat garage roof against summer heat

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Insulation for flat garage roof against summer heat

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2021, 14:19

In my woodworking machinery museum , I also store my homemade wines . Last year the summer heat became a problem , reaching the eighties on occasions . I tried multiple fans to virtually no effect so to combat this problem I'm considering an air cooler which has a 6 litre water tank . I'm looking specifically at the Igenix IG 9703 portable air cooler ( non heating option ) . I have no experience of these and wondered if anybody could advise whether the moisture might be a problem with tools going rusty . And how effective these things are ? Comments welcome .
steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Insulation for flat garage roof against summer heat

Postby 9fingers » 01 Mar 2021, 14:48

It seems the wrong approach to try evaporative cooling witout taking every possible measure to stop the heat coming in in the first.
Fans will only bring in ambient air so no useful cooling as you have found.
Insulation inside the roof and south/western facing walls plus reflective roofing paint would be my starting point. Then look at heat pumps maybe driven by solar panels on the garage roof.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2021, 14:56

This isn't an area I'm particularly strong on, but roof materials and design are the key here, not the additions of moisture into the air. What is the roof made of, and what size is it?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 01 Mar 2021, 15:03

In addition to what Bob and Mike have said, evaporative coolers (usually called swamp coolers over here) work best when the humidity is pretty low. Given where you are, I'd suggest that you won't get great performance. On the other hand, using it for only a few days out of the year I wouldn't think it it would raise your risk of rusty tools very much.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby spb » 01 Mar 2021, 15:05

For wine storage you want a consistent temperature year-round, which means two things. First, as Mike mentioned, is preventing heat getting in or out easily; second is getting as much thermal mass as possible in there so that whatever heat does get in or out changes the temperature as little as possible. This is why cellars are traditional, as they're surrounded by the mass of the Earth.

So, in addition to Mike's questions about the roof, what's the construction of the rest of the building?
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2021, 17:59

Firstly , thanks to everybody who replied - ( Bob probably remembers my post of last summer when I was really worried about my 5 years old elderberry plus lots of other stuff , about 150 bottles on wooden shelving ) . The garage is a flat roof abutting the house on one side ( 1973 red brick 3 bed semi) and adjoinging the nextdoor neighbours garage on the other side . The roof is flat , tongue and groove with two or three layers of felt on top . This roof is long overdue for replacement felt but as we have planned to have an extension on the back of house encompassing the back of the garage at rear , and sorting out the garage roof at the same time , there is not much chance of starting that this year due to Covid therefore I'm trying to do something in the short term . I take the points mentioned - so can I just stick some kind of thick coated foam sheets between the rafters ? would that deflect the worst of the sun's heat ?
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2021, 18:03

The house and the garage(s) are both brick . The abutting house side wall is foam-filled , there is a single skin brick wall between the two garages . Rear wall is brick , front end is a metal up and over steel door .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2021, 18:05

If you leave a couple of inches gap above the insulation then yes, that's the best way forward. I am sure this will do the majority of the work you need. Obviously, if you have any south facing glazing then it might also help to shade that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 01 Mar 2021, 19:25

I'm afraid I'm not really able to help on this subject (you do have some great people here to help you though) but...

tracerman wrote:In my woodworking machinery museum

You can't pass a comment like that and not raise an eyebrow from me ;)
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2021, 21:26

Trevannion - re " museum"
so-called because the gear just sits there 99% of the time , what with the freezing winter , my arthritis , wine-making and oil painting I never seem to get around to woodworking these days . If/when we get the extension on the back of the house , that'll be my excuse to start making sawdust .
Stveve
PS Mike G , thanks , any recomendations on the foam ?
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2021, 21:37

tracerman wrote:......PS Mike G , thanks , any recomendations on the foam ?

Kingspan or Celotex (or similar PIR insulation boards). Not polystyrene. Celotex is available as "seconds".....sometimes a quarter to a third of the normal price.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tracerman » 02 Mar 2021, 00:13

Mike G Thanks for that
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Return to Projects & WIP