It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:53

Timber prep for window

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Timber prep for window

Postby chataigner » 02 Nov 2014, 10:06

Spent yesterday milling up the timber for the window and frame in the workshop. Started with two 3m long rough sawn 45mm oak boards that I've had in the store for several years.

First step was to take reduce the 3m boards to 2m and 1m which correspond roughly to the length and height I will need. Then to take off the live edge, did this with a 2m masons straight edge (aluminium extrusion) screwed into the opposite live edge to give me something straight to ride the rip fence. Worked really well.

Then rip to rough section and plane and thickness most of it. The remainder I then re-sawed to provide the thinner stock I needed for some parts. Did this on the TS, cutting in from both sides as it it too wide (8cm) to do in one pass. Prefer the TS for this as 2m sections are hard to handle well on the bandsaw with it's little table.

All the ripping was done with a new thin kerf blade. Really pleased with it. However, I had forgotten that I will need a thinner riving knife, and ended up doing it with the riving knife removed. It was all straight grained, so got away without any problems.

More tomorrow....
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: Timber prep for window

Postby Andyp » 02 Nov 2014, 18:53

chataigner wrote:All the ripping was done with a new thin kerf blade. Really pleased with it. However, I had forgotten that I will need a thinner riving knife, and ended up doing it with the riving knife removed. It was all straight grained, so got away without any problems.

More tomorrow....

David,
Do you use a half fence under those circumstances?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 03 Nov 2014, 08:05

Here are the pics I didnt have time to upload yesterday :

Andy - not sure I understnd the question...
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 03 Nov 2014, 08:32

David,
a half fence, or one that does stops at the centre point of the saw blade, lessons the risk of the timber being pinched back against the blade while ripping especially if you are forced to remove the riving knife.
This that is my understanding.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 03 Nov 2014, 11:27

OK, I see. That would have been wise perhaps, but I always have the fence angled slightly away from the blade (3mm or so over the length of the fence, about 1m20) for the same reason and that proved to be enough.

I should add that these boards weighed a lot, 2m long, 45mm thick and around 300mm wide (estimate 20kg plus), my quite lightweight saw is simply not poweful enough to move that mass very far ! More likely to stall the motor, especially with a thin kerf blade that has less mass and therefore kinetic energy than a standard one.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP