It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:01

My minibus/camper/works van project.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: My minibus/camper/works van project.

Postby 9fingers » 16 Nov 2014, 11:41

Paul,

Having now seen that all the controls for your seats are on the seat base itself, then the connections should be a lot simpler than I'd feared.
There is likely to be an ignition switched main supply and ground return to the seat and quite likely to and additional keep alive permanent supply to the seat memory in rather the same way as most radios would use.

A wiring diagram from the donor car should give all the clues needed.

There could still be the issue of the pre-tensioners or your seat might not even have them. There is still likely to be an occupancy switch especially on the passenger seat and simply on off switching to show the seat belt has been engaged. You might choose to ignore these or the MOT tester might insist that any warning light is functional.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 18 Nov 2014, 21:20

Cheers Bob,

I'm really hopeless when it comes to cables and terminals and science. I did wonder whether I could test each terminal with a fused live feed and then start pressing a few buttons to see what happens, or is this a bit risky? Also, could I create a fused switch on the dashboard or console when it's made, instead of using the ignition?

I don't think there are any pre-tensioners in the seats, in fact I'm pretty sure there aren't. The buckles are simply on a bracket bolted to the seat frame. I've had to swap these for the transit buckles as well, which was straight forward.

The passenger seat is now installed - posting below. You can see here where, I've had to attach the passenger seat buckle back onto the floor mount which I assume is okay. Once I've finished the installation and before I start the woodwork, I will take the bus to the garage where it passed its recent MOT and ask for their inspection and hopeful approval for the insurance.

8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 18 Nov 2014, 21:41

I fitted the passenger seat today. Naughty boy - I should have been working, but I'll catch up :|

I thought this seat was going to be much less hassle after fitting the driver's seat, but I had much more fettling with this one and the whole job took me most of the day.

Here are two box sections connecting into the original floor mount holes.

And here's the base frame a pal gave to me. I later had to modify this to reduce the height by 70mm.

Here are the two cross beams ready for the seat mounts.

And now the seat fitted. I will be replacing all the nuts I've fitted with locking nuts before inspection. The seat is at its maximum forward position at the moment, but this will change when the wiring loom is connected.

I thought I'd also post a couple of pictures of the back of the bus. This is what I did within the first week of buying it last year.

I shall be replacing this carpet with a new one and will lay it throughout.

Report back with another update as soon as.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 18 Nov 2014, 22:07

Pinch wrote: I did wonder whether I could test each terminal with a fused live feed and then start pressing a few buttons to see what happens, or is this a bit risky? Also, could I create a fused switch on the dashboard or console when it's made, instead of using the ignition?

It's not an approach that I would take. I would want to fully understand what was what by reference to the original circuit and proceed accordingly before even thinking of applying power.
I would use an automotive relay controlled by the ignition to give an auxiliary, fused switched supply for the seat so that it would be automatically isolated when the van is not in use. Otherwise you are bound to forget and leave the seat powered up one day.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 08 Apr 2016, 18:49

It's been a long time since I've done any work on the bus project. I did a bit about a year ago, but it looks like I didn't post any piccies on here - I'll have to find them and bring this thread up to date.

But meantime, as I've been waiting for an oak delivery, I decided to make and hang the small internal door which separates the crew cab from the van. This wall is now panelled which I did last year and the doorway has been doorless since then. Mrs P and me decided to do this to keep the houndies away from the cab, especially as the seats are leather jobbies. Anyway... door... I made and hung it today and was then looking for a suitable tower bolt or lock or something to keep the door closed.

Light bulb moment... I'll make one!

And here it is...

Made from oak - a wooden tower bolt - dandy! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Lovely jubbly!

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2016, 19:19

I LOVE the paneling behind the seats! Please tell me you going to be carrying this on throughout the van, including that door? It would look gorgeous. The one regret I have about my house is that my wife doesn't like paneling, otherwise I'd do full height paneling around the study, and one wall of the dining room. That idea suffered an early veto.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 08 Apr 2016, 19:25

Mike G wrote:I LOVE the paneling behind the seats! Please tell me you going to be carrying this on throughout the van, including that door? It would look gorgeous. The one regret I have about my house is that my wife doesn't like paneling, otherwise I'd do full height paneling around the study, and one wall of the dining room. That idea suffered an early veto.

Cheers Mike. Yes, the door is next on the agenda, and the plan is to continue the panelling through the the van and each panel will be a different wood species. I'm also going to dress the windows with proper linings, architraves and cills. Loads to do and she's ongoing...

Panelling would look grand in your house Mike. Try and persuade your good lady!! Say you'll cook every Sunday roast for the next 5 years 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 08 Apr 2016, 20:33

This is gonna be one well pimped ride by the time you have finished.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2016, 22:11

I don't know if it's just the photo, Paul, but is that oak limed?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Apr 2016, 08:48

Love the Oak panelling. Looking like it's going to be a very smart camper :)

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 09 Apr 2016, 15:59

Andyp wrote:This is gonna be one well pimped ride by the time you have finished.

She certainly is :D :D
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 09 Apr 2016, 16:01

Mike G wrote:I don't know if it's just the photo, Paul, but is that oak limed?

Yep, I used up some liming paste I had left over from a job a couple of years ago. I shall apply a different finish to the rest of it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 09 Apr 2016, 16:13

Jimmy Mack wrote:Love the Oak panelling. Looking like it's going to be a very smart camper :)

Jim

Cheers Jim 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Apr 2016, 00:31

Bravo Sir!

I echo Mike's appreciation of the panelling, very nice.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 10 Apr 2016, 09:38

TrimTheKing wrote:Bravo Sir!

I echo Mike's appreciation of the panelling, very nice.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 11 Apr 2016, 14:07

Very nice Paul! Looking forward to see this one going together, it is nice to see something a bit different!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Pinch » 13 Apr 2016, 07:56

Commander wrote:Very nice Paul! Looking forward to see this one going together, it is nice to see something a bit different!

Cheers Erich. I wish I had a large warehouse with my motors in it - and worked on them without having to work for a living 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 16 Apr 2016, 19:48

Pinch wrote:
Commander wrote:Very nice Paul! Looking forward to see this one going together, it is nice to see something a bit different!

Cheers Erich. I wish I had a large warehouse with my motors in it - and worked on them without having to work for a living 8-)

Yes that would be awesome wouldn't it! I would split mine between auto and wood working and would have all the fancy toys one just can't do without! :D
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP