It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:21

My first ever completed project - Oak Pirate Chest

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

My first ever completed project - Oak Pirate Chest

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Jul 2014, 19:39

Well just to kick things off I thought I would dig out my first ever completed project post. Not strictly a WIP as it was completed many moons ago, but I'm chuffed with it so I'm putting it in :D

Well, after months of taking all the advice and info that woodworking community has to offer I thought it was about time I gave something back. I have finally managed to complete my first ever project, a Treasure/Pirates chest for my friends daughter who is mad on Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

So here it goes, all critique and comments welcomed.

Unfortunately I have lost the pics that I took as I was making the actual box base, so only have the pics of making the coopered lid, hinging and lock fitting.

Initially I made the box with simple joinery, front/back 390mm x 125mm x 16mm, sides 140mm x 125mm, joined using my Trend dovetail jig. For the purposes of full disclosure some pics of the d/t's not fitting perfectly due to me doing this before I had learned the importance of properly squaring up edges to faces :oops:

I then jointed a couple of pieces together to make the base, and this was dry fitted into a rebate in the sides. I then put a little cambered detail on the bottom of the base to give it a bit of interest, and glued it all up.

This is a pic of the front, note the line marked on the front where I was going to hand cut the dovetails before bottling out :roll: :oops:

Next I started on the lid. I took this design from a copy of Practical Woodworking then slightly modified it for my own purposes, so I can't lay claim to thinking up the coopering technique. I will however hold on to my smugness of actually managing to not completely balls it up :lol:

After working out the optimum number of slats for the top, in this case 17, you divide 180 (half circle) by 17 (number of slats) giving you the total number of deg per slat, which you then half for each side of each slat :shock:

I used my crosscut sled and set up a block of wood on the left as a stop block. Then I set my workpiece just over the slot and wedged it up to 5.1 degrees and clamped it in place and made a cut along the edge of the workpiece.

Then I flipped it over and pushed it up to the stop, which was set to the correct distance, wedged it up to 5.1 deg again and made the second cut, then flip and repeat until all pieces cut.

Stacked around the former

Once all the pieces were cut to width you place them thin side down and tape them together across the top.

Then flip them over to glue gaps

Then put the pre cut end pieces in place, with tape over the edges so they don't stick to the inside (yet) and glue up. Pull the tape up tight and this forms the pieces round the former and pulls up the glue joints nice & tight. I also used a car roof rack ratchet strap to pull them up tight.

When the glue has dried I removed the formers and planed off the angles where the slats meet to round it off nicely, then give it a bit of a sand to smooth out. I cleaned up the inside with a curved cabinet scraper.

Then cut to length on bandsaw and fit the end pieces, then glue up and clamp.

I then put some finish on the lid, same as the rest of the box, 6 coats of Danish oil cut back with 600grit between coats to take off the shine. Then I fitted some lovely strap hinges that I got from Lee Valley and fitted with brass screws after heating them and bending them to shape around a plywood former of the same radius as the lid.

Next I hacksawed the heads off 16 hand forged rose head nails that I picked up and filed off the remainder of the nail so I just had the nail head with a flat bottom and glued these to the heads of the brass screws. Might sound odd but I wanted the strength of the screws with the look of the nails. Should any of the screws fail I can then prise off the nail heads, repair and re-fit nail head.

Lastly I fitted a nice little morticed piano style lock that I got from Hafele (through Chippy's mate, very helpful bloke called Darren) to finish it off.

And here's a few shots of the finished article.

The box is made out of one of the spare floorboards from my house, you can see them in the last few pics. I like to recycle :lol:

Sorry for the huge amount of pics but I wanted to show it off seeing as it's the first thing i've ever made, and hopefully it might help others with similar projects.

Please let me know what you think, and any improvements you would make. I have been asked to make a couple more so any ways to improve it would be welcomed.

Cheers

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: My first ever completed project - Oak Pirate Chest

Postby Robert » 21 Jul 2014, 19:47

Wow there was a lot of work in that!

Excellent result though.

Think the sideboard that won me a plane on a certain other forum was one of my first pieces. It is in pieces now - chopped up for fuel for the garden chiminea! It was made for use in the conservatory and when that was demolished it had no use... and as one of the first things I made there was so much that could have been better so now its gone.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Jul 2014, 19:53

Thanks Robert

Yeah a lot of work at the time, for very much a novice to woodbutchery.

Didn't it feel weird chopping up something you had built by hand? I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it, even if it wasn't perfect!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Froggy » 21 Jul 2014, 22:36

Very nice Mark. I especially like the touch with the false nails. Well worth the effort.
Froggy
Seedling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Jul 2014, 22:37

Cheers Froggy

Yes I do like false nails, especially at the weekend! :? :oops:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby riclepp » 22 Jul 2014, 20:00

Thats a nice little bit of coopering there. I would be proud with that too, thanks for sharing
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Postby Pinch » 30 Jul 2014, 08:12

That looks spot on - I really like it 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 30 Jul 2014, 08:29

I well remember this first time around. What does it get used for now?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Jul 2014, 10:26

Thanks Pinch, I'm very proud of it I must say. :D

Andy - I made it n 2008 for my mates daughter when she was about 7 or 8 as she was a real tomboy at the time and not Pirates of the Caribbean. She's now about 14 and uses it for jewellery and nick knacks I believe, and also hides money from her big brother! :D

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to Projects & WIP