It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:37

Giving it some Lip!

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Giving it some Lip!

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2014, 18:13

We just moved a desk out of the lounge upstairs in to the ex nursery turned junk room to make an office.
Even though loads of stuff has been freecycled and real cr4p taken up to the tip, there is still quite a lot to store in addition to the office requirements so some shelves were needed. Nothing very special but I wanted to make them match the oak desk and it's cupboard unit that I made years ago to match.
Oak veneered board was my material of choice, with support at regular intervals, 18mm mdf does not sag much but the exposed edges need attention.

Real tree wood lipping gives a tidy result and useful resistance to chipping and splintering of the veneer which is only around 0.5mm thick.
I wanted the colour to be a medium oak and I had a supply of stain left over from the cupboard unit.

Although it might seem strange at first I like to do some finishing work at the beginning. The veneered mdf is quite fragile and even sliding boards over the bench can make marks if the surface is not scrupulously clean.

No photos of the process but each face has had two coats of stain and a coat of Ronseal satin varnish brushed out to a thin coat. As well as protecting the surface from all sorts of unwanted marks, any glue squeeze out does not affect the wood. From past experience, some of the constituents of the stain will separate out into any dried glue in this case turning it quite orange. Its a bit like the school experiments in chromatography with filter papers where the colours separate out.

Here is the pile of ready cut shelves - L shaped cutout is to fit round a boxed in flue from the gas fire below.

I make my lipping into a Tee section with a central tongue to fit into centred groove in the shelf edge. I make this with as much precision as I can meaning that it fits perfectly and is self locating making gluing up much easier. Within a batch the veneered mdf is very consistent thickness 19.1mm in my case so making the lipping to fit means absolute minimal finishing and so no risk to the delicate veneer.

I prepare about 50% extra lipping stock normally from trimmings off the edges of board and plane that up to size. I prefer to use square stock as this means when making the tee section, there is no risk of cutting the tee on the wrong face.

I did not have enough oak so I'm using ash which when stained will look fine and only purists like you lot would ever notice :lol:

So 19.1mm square ash coming off the thicknesser with the last cut being a fraction of a mm with sharp knives for a perfect finish.

Here is the pile of "more than enough" square stock.

I tend to find that if I don't cut enough, there is bound to be a cock-up and it is so tedious to have to make a second small batch and of course the converse, when you have plenty everything goes well, all the offcuts are still long enough to do shorter runs etc and you have plenty left over ( These left overs tend to get cut into sticks and stakes for SWMBO garden habit).

Next job is to cut the groove in the shelf edge. I find it easier to fine tune the Tee dimension to fit a groove that the other way round.

Just setting up on a piece of scrap first. Three passes with an ordinary blade. One to cut the centre out first.

and then offset the fence a couple of mm and do one pass through to cut one side of the groove and then flip it end for end and run it through AT THE SAME setting and the resultant groove is automatically in the centre. Exact width is not too important but I aim for 1/3 of the board thickness - just over 6mm

Set up a horizontal feather board to deal with any bowing in the boards..

and the boards can be pushed though safely- all you have to do is control the weight of the board at the start of the cut. The feather board keeps the job up against the fence and the already square edge of the board means it stands upright. The outfeed table takes the weight at the end of the cut. Flip end for end and run it back through and the grooves are done.

With a groove dimension to work to, I can set up for cutting the Tee section on the lipping.

Just the two cheek blades from the dado will be sufficient.

Then mount an auxiliary fence to carry a vertical featherboard so the work will be retained both vertically and horizontally and as a bonus will cover the dado blades making it impossible for all but the most determined finger to get anywhere near.

A few trial cut and measure step got the fence in the correct position and the blade height spot on.

Again two passes through, flipping end for end ensures the tongue is central

and a trial fit of a short length into the edge of a shelf

This close up shot shows the degree of precision I was after.

Quite quickly I had all the tee section cut.

The elegance of this method is that the set up is controlling all the dimensions. Once set, it is simply a case of pushing the timber through almost without a care, It just has to come out right and sure enough it did!

Here I have glued up the first two shelves.
Doing them in pairs uses each shelf to distribute the clamping pressure along the whole length.

Whilst the glue is going off, I've used the time to write this up - now off to glue up numbers 3 and 4 before dinner.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Giving it some Lip!

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Nov 2014, 22:44

Good example of batch processing Bob. Always nice to see others doing what I am so terrible at remembering to do… :oops:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Wizard9999 » 17 Nov 2014, 23:31

Nice WIP Bob. :text-bravo:

I hope we will get to see them when they are stained and up.

Terry
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2014, 23:32

I quite enjoy a bit of batch work now and then provided the quantities are not too great. I derive some pleasure in honing a process to the point where it can be virtually automatic and "can't" go wrong.

Normally assembly and glue up is the bottleneck limited by no of clamps, or space. This evening I've been disciplined enough to come down to the workshop every couple of hours to do the next pair of glue ups.

Just a few odds and ends that I'll leave for tomorrow now so it has been a good days work!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2014, 23:35

Wizard9999 wrote:Nice WIP Bob. :text-bravo:

Terry

I'll try and remember to get a snapshot in the nanosecond or so when they are up and yet not too full of cr4p :lol:
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 18 Nov 2014, 07:36

Clever stuff as always Bob, looking good too.

9fingers wrote:
Wizard9999 wrote:Nice WIP Bob. :text-bravo:
Terry

I'll try and remember to get a snapshot in the nanosecond or so when they are up and yet not too full of cr4p :lol:

Don't forget that stuff (or cr4p) expands to fill the space made available for it :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Ed Bray » 18 Nov 2014, 07:44

Good work, nice precision. Look forward to seeing them in situ.
Ed Bray
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Nov 2014, 08:01

Nice thread, Bob. You don't find that the T-sections have a tendency to tip on the second pass?

I agree with you re making more than you need. Especially glazing bars which can be guaranteed to be chewed up going through the moulder. Saves all that hassle of planing/thicknessing all over again.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Nov 2014, 08:32

Nice work - I do something similar on my Router Table using a Weldon T&G set.

Are those pipe clamps homemade?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Nov 2014, 10:38

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Yes Rod, the foreground pipe clamps are home made from the days when US style clamps were rare in UK.
A whole load of galvanised pipe was being thrown out at work previously part of a green house vent opening system. The green house collapsed in the 1987 gales and I picked up the spoils!

The stock does not tip on the second pass Roger as the feather boards hold it in place. The dado blade does not produce any significant side thrust. I would expect more of a tipping issue doing the same job on a router table.
The leg of the Tee is 9mm and my feather board is 12mm so not a lot of margin however. One day when I've got some 18mm birch ply on the go I must make some thicker feather boards. Or I could stick two layers of the resin coated ply together - that is the brown stuff I use for lots of my jigs and fixtures. I have a lifetime supply of it stacked in the workshop.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 18 Nov 2014, 21:13

Hi Bob - don't double stack (by wife!!) over a 38"simply supported span and you should be OK?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2014, 16:36

I'm still working on this but at a slower rate due to other distractions and drying times.

All the fiddly bit of lipping have been done and the shelves offered up in the room to get the exact lengths established.

Normally we can blame the builder for out of square walls and the plasterer for curves running into the corners.
Well 30 years ago it was me putting up the walls so an own goal there!! But I did employ a plasterer so I'll blame him for some of the variations.

With everything cut to length, it has been back to staining and varnishing. A total of 9 pieces, I can only lay out 3 pieces at a time to dry.

The first 3 are dry, and waxed with neutral coloron wax applied with 00000 wirewool which de-nibs the varnish and gives the smoothest of finishes. The second batch is drying. So it will possibly be Friday when I can start the fitting.

More photos available then hopefully.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2014, 09:31

Bob, do you really have 00000 steel wool or is that a typo. I though the finest was 0000. A quick google has left me confused too.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 21 Nov 2014, 09:42

:oops: sorry that was a trypo. Yes the wire wool is 0000 grade.
Apologies for causing confusion Andy

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 21 Nov 2014, 18:50

I had rather hoped to be finished today and I'd promised some more photos.

I decided to add a couple of solid wood corbel brackets which took most of today including manufacture, staining fitting and varnishing - more of this tomorrow.

I had some time to do the "before" photos. The office is quite small and with my simple point and shoot camera, it is quit difficult to get far enough away to get everything in a single shot.

First shot is the end wall fitted with some spur brackets - that is another snag as I thought I had enough but an order went off for some more last night.

Against the back wall is the desk and the cupboard unit that I made a good few years ago.

A single shelf will go across the top spaced down from the ceiling by the height of a box file.

A bit more detail of the right hand cupboard which houses a printer and a slide out shelf with a scanner on it. This dates it a bit as the cupboard pre-dates integrated printer scanners.
On top is the virgin modem (black upright box) and a couple of netgear routers which form the main part of the network. alongside on the left is the synology twin networked disk drive and printer server- a recent purchase as recommended by Mark - very pleased with this.

Looking at the desk complete with the essential coffee cup is the main office PC monitor on the right and on the left is the monitor for the PC where I will be developing my CNC set up - eventually to reside in the metalwork workshop to drive the milling machine. In the middle is the analogue VCR where from time to time I'm transcribing from video cassette to PC. Including every single episode of New Yankee Workshop.

Progress on new shelves should be evident tomorrow hopefully

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Nov 2014, 19:22

Looking good Bob

Glad to hear the Synology is working out as you hoped. :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 22 Nov 2014, 14:44

Here is the bit that consumed most of yesterday what with making, staining, fitting and varnishing.

This is the top shelf that ends in mid air just by the door frame. It needs something to stop things falling off the shelf and blocking the door when it is closed or worse falling on someone as they walk in. the shelf is about head height or 1 box file down from the ceiling.

I've used some camlock dowels initially to hold the end on but given the huge potential leverage, I made a couple of corbel type brackets and biscuited them in place to add strength. Furthermore the back edge is wedged into the wall but some cable trunking that follows the edge of the architrave.

One corbel had to go on top of the shelf to avoid the metal spur bracket, the other is underneath.

The rest of the shots are a pan around the room with everything in place starting at the door on the left and clockwise round the room to the window in the opposite wall.

I'm still waiting for some extra spur brackets and then the extra shelf - currently resting on the lowest shelf can be fitted into final position.

The work has now been inspected and approved by local management - thankfully!!

A bit of a bonus today as i noticed the left over lipping stock is a near perfect sliding fit in the 3/4" slots in my tablesaw so these lengths will be set aside for use as jig runners as and when I need them ;)

A final credit and big Thank You must go to my good mates Anita and Stu who ordered up the oak MDF and cut it on their CNC for me.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 22 Nov 2014, 18:08

Smart job, Bob. Very tidy. Have you planned what you're going to fill them with or is that down to SWMBO ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Nov 2014, 18:23

First to move in will be the contents of boxes currently stacked on the landing, spare bedroom and master bedroom. Mainly paperbacks which SWMBO devours at 2-3 per week including re-reading.
I need to make serious inroads into some filing. Currently I use the pile system.
There is space to house 2 x 4 drawer filing cabinets. One is in the garage and another might come out of my toy room or I might acquire another. There are more shelves in the filing cabinet alcove for her books - currently temporary storage for my tools used in the fitting out.

I've got boxes of other stuff that I brought home from work when I retired 5-1/2 years ago that needs classifying. Currently stacked in the kitchen - SWMBO is quite patient!

The next big job is for SWMBO to decide what she wants the lounge to look like - now that the desk has moved out and then I can start thinking about how to make whatever it is that madam requires.

This could go on for sometime........

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 24 Nov 2014, 14:12

Can't help thinking that shelves as nice as that, Bob, deserve something better than that Spur shelving. Have to admit though that I, too, find the Spur stuff very usable and practical

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 24 Nov 2014, 14:43

Andyp wrote:Can't help thinking that shelves as nice as that, Bob, deserve something better than that Spur shelving. Have to admit though that I, too, find the Spur stuff very usable and practical

It's only an office Andy and most of the hardware will be hidden by the stuff on the shelf to be honest. If I was buying all new spur bracketing I might have gone for the brown but I'm mixing old stock with some new so stuck with white.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Projects & WIP